titetanium
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: Up
Carrier: t-mobile
Post How to: Prevent duplicate sent items from being sent to Blackberry, Part 2

Please Login to Remove!

All,

This is a slight modification of the original howto created by Pizzle, so I am deferring all credits to him for the inspiration. Please continue petting Pizzle if you find this helpful.

Originally, Gmail had to be set up in BIS as a pop account and then we had to enter the gmail address to autobcc the gmail account so we can have a record of sent items in gmail. Pizzle wrote the above howto to correct that problem.

Now, Gmail and yahoo can be configured as imap in BIS, allowing for two way syncs of received and sent items. If you have configured your account like Pizzle wrote, then several changes need to be made to prevent sent items from being sent to the blackberry with regards to IMAP.

1) Log into BIS, delete and reenter your gmail/yahoo accounts as imap. To do this, you need to initially enter the email address and enter without the password to get an additional button allowing you to configure as imap. When configuring as imap, you may enter the correct password and then your emails from this point on will be synced 2 way for received and sent items. If you have any auto bcc entries, delete them all, put a check on 'synchronize deleted items...', and save the configuration. Click filters and create a filter called "feedback", apply filter when "from field", contains "username@carrier.blackberry.net" address. Make sure "Do not forward messages" is checked, then click save. Log out of BIS.

2) Log into gmail> settings> forwarding and pop/imap. Disable forwarding, enable pop and imap, and save.

3)On your bb, go to your messages>options>email reconciliation and set to the following:
Quote:
* Delete On: Mailbox & Handheld
* Wireless Reconcile: On
* On Conflicts: Mailbox Wins
and save it for all of your email accounts you have configured in BIS.

At this point, you should get two-way sync of received and sent emails without a double set of sent items being sent to your blackberry. Moreover, you can send yourself an email directly from gmail/yahoo webmail to test that you can receive a single set of emails from there in case you need to email yourself something before you hit the road. You shouldn't get a copy of it as sent items if you configured it correctly as above.

Last note: If you find this helpful, please pet Pizzle!!!
Old 02-04-2009, 12:18 PM   #2
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by titetanium View Post
Click filters and create a filter called "feedback", apply filter when "from field", contains "username@carrier.blackberry.net" address. Make sure "Do not forward messages" is checked, then click save.
Can you actually filter the outbound mail from your gmail account (sent from the BB) this way? Wouldn't such email come from [email address]?
Old 02-05-2009, 01:35 AM   #3
titetanium
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: Up
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
Can you actually filter the outbound mail from your gmail account (sent from the BB) this way? Wouldn't such email come from [email address]?
I know what you're getting at. I do not have my gmail or yahoo accounts filtered in BIS. I do not get a copy of the email I send as a new message in my inbox. But, assuming that some of you do not use or have a carrier.blackberry.net account, I think no feedback filter would need to be applied. But I'm not sure about this though. Perhaps one of the gurus can shed some light?
Old 03-16-2009, 09:49 PM   #4
duxbury2002

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-Mobile

Hi all

I had the same problem and found that in GMail I had my email configured for both IMAP and POP. I mad sure that just IMAP was enabled, disabling the POP. It's been fine since then.

Phil
Closed Thread