Old 03-03-2009, 09:44 PM   #1
olikoli

Model: 8100
Carrier: rogers
Question travel with bbry

Please Login to Remove!

can anyone confirm this?

Lets imagine folowing scenarion.
You are subscribing to BIS here (Canada) but you are traveling with your bbry to Europe. Once you get to your destination you buy a prepaid or monthly subscription to local BIS on a new sim card but don't create new account. You take that SIM throw it in your unlocked blackberry.
Given the fact that you are subscribing to BIS in two places, and now have local access to blackberry servers, will you be able to receive your Canadian emails there without interruptions.

I have heard two schools of thought, but never got a confirmation.
Has anyone had an experience with this, or just has a point of view?

thanking you all in advance,
Old 03-04-2009, 06:38 AM   #2
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

No, the Blackberry can only be associated with one data plan at a time - whichever SIM card you have in the Blackberry will determine what data plan is active. That means you need to create the account and set up your email on the pre-paid BIS just as you did with the original SIM card and home BIS account.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:10 AM   #3
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
No, the Blackberry can only be associated with one data plan at a time
It can also only be associated with one carrier's BIS at a time. That's why we have so many threads posted by people buying used/refurbed BB's asking why they can't register with their carrier's BIS (BB already registered by prior owner).

That is yet another advantage to BES. It doesn't care which carrier you're on. You can just swap SIM's and go (assuming that the new SIM has a BES BB data plan associated).

Last edited by takeshi; 03-04-2009 at 09:11 AM..
Old 03-04-2009, 06:32 PM   #4
olikoli

So I get that your PIN can only be associated with one BIS account. What confuses me (and somehow makes sense) is that someone mentioned that as long as you have a sim card connected to BIS, regardless on which provider you are using, you will be connected to RIM servers, and you would still be getting all your emails. According to that person, your account at RIM has nothing to do with your SIM card, as long as you have access to RIM , you have access to service?!
Does that make any, even remote sense, or is this total bull?
Old 03-04-2009, 07:10 PM   #5
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

It can only be associated with one BIS account at a time. If you have a SIM card that has a genuine Blackberry data plan, you're good to go. You can switch between valid SIM cards as often as you want. Just be sure to dis-associate your BB from the one carrier's BIS before using the other.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:18 PM   #6
olikoli

Thanks rambo47! I think you are 100% correct, but I may have misunderstood.
I now have a confirmation too.
I have just walked down to local Fido store, asked a clerk to borrow her SIM card (she also has BIS service), put it in my Rogers blackberry and both PIN and email worked flawlesly. This is a huge find for anyone that travels, and doesnt want to get stuck with HUGE roaming bills.
You CAN get prepaid or monthly BIS subscription when traveling overseas and still receive all your emails from home without any hassle.
I am thrilled!
Thanks everyone!
Old 03-05-2009, 06:50 AM   #7
titetanium
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: Up
Carrier: t-mobile

Just so I understand, when you put in her SIM card, it pulled her emails or yours? That's the part that needs clarification.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:27 AM   #8
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by olikoli View Post
You CAN get prepaid or monthly BIS subscription when traveling overseas and still receive all your emails from home without any hassle.
No, you can't get prepaid. Very few countries in the world offer prepaid BIS service.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:13 AM   #9
olikoli

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by titetanium
Just so I understand, when you put in her SIM card, it pulled her emails or yours? That's the part that needs clarification.
It pulled all of my emails and not hers. As mentioned in earlier post, SIM has nothing to do with your RIM account it only gives you access to their servers, and your account (email) is linked to your PIN IMEI.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:22 AM   #10
olikoli

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc
Quote:
No, you can't get prepaid. Very few countries in the world offer prepaid BIS service.
If few counties offer it, why wouldn't I be able to get a prepaid sim with BIS from that country. There is Jamaica, Mexico and Indonesia just to name few.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:40 AM   #11
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Wirelessly posted

If few counties offer it, why wouldn't I be able to get a prepaid sim with BIS from that country. There is Jamaica, Mexico and Indonesia just to name few.
That's three countries out of 160+ countries in the world with mobile services. That's the perfect definition of the word "few".
Old 03-05-2009, 09:46 AM   #12
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
It pulled all of my emails and not hers. As mentioned in earlier post, SIM has nothing to do with your RIM account it only gives you access to their servers, and your account (email) is linked to your PIN IMEI.
That's interesting and definitely useful info -- thanks for testing it out and updating/correcting us!
Old 03-05-2009, 12:36 PM   #13
olikoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
That's interesting and definitely useful info -- thanks for testing it out and updating/correcting us!
np. I was very excited to find out. It is very useful for anyone traveling and needing to stay in touch, and not to have to pay a fortune.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:02 PM   #14
stufried
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: E61
Carrier: Eitislat

Dubai has prepaid Blackberry service. While technically not a prepaid, also look at:

Low-cost Europe cell phones and European SIM cards
Closed Thread