Old 04-01-2006, 12:03 PM   #1
gadgetjunkies
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8820
PIN: Depends which BB I am using
Carrier: AT&T
Default Fortte STi Vertical Pouch Case Concerned

Please Login to Remove!

Well got my Fortte STi Vertical Pouch Case yesterday and am disappointed with it. While the quality is awesome the fit of the 8700 is very loose. If I turn it upside down the 8700 falls out. I have contacted Salo concerning this as I thought I read where the fit is suppose to be rather snug. I really like the case but cannot use it as is. Those of you that have received the same case, do you see the same loose fit?
Old 04-01-2006, 12:11 PM   #2
Sparkomatic
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
PIN: S & Needles
Carrier: I don't even know her

I've got the same case and it's not loose at all. It's a snug fit and I'm using egrips (which could be helping it just a little too).
Old 04-01-2006, 12:14 PM   #3
lgreenberg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
PIN: 2453F457 OR 242B5C50
Carrier: Cingular

Mine is quite snug.

I can place my device into the case, turn it upside down, hold it by the back piece and shake it as hard as i can. The 8700 does not move.

I also use Egrips as well (I'm sure the back piece helps.)

Sounds like you might have unfortunately got a bad case.

Knowing Fortte as I do I'm sure they'll take care of the problem for you.
Old 04-01-2006, 12:26 PM   #4
chrisnol
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetjunkies
Well got my Fortte STi Vertical Pouch Case yesterday and am disappointed with it. While the quality is awesome the fit of the 8700 is very loose. If I turn it upside down the 8700 falls out. I have contacted Salo concerning this as I thought I read where the fit is suppose to be rather snug. I really like the case but cannot use it as is. Those of you that have received the same case, do you see the same loose fit?
I got mine yesterday. Not super snug but also not much different then the fit my 7280 had with the BB OEM open leather pouch.

I pushed the 8700 firmly into the new Forte pouch and did the "upside down" test and it did not fall out, although I only shook it lightly. I also have the BB OEM leather holster which I will use if I am doing something more active (or will use the OEM pouch, which has the flap but no belt clip --I have it on back order with Smart Phone Depot).

I normally keep the 8700 in my briefcase in the BB OEM holster and clipped to one of the dividers in the briefcase, and just take it out as needed, rather than constantly carrying it around. I will probably use the Forte case only when I want to carry the 8700 in my jacket or suit pocket and don't want the bulk of the thicker BB OEM cases.

By the way, I'll have 5 cases when its all said and done (the OEM plastic, Gizmoskin, 2 BB OEM leather -- one with a clip and one without, and the open Forte. I think I can stop there, not like some people we know -- can you say "Larreeeee....". All together now, "Larry, our case god, we are not worthy"

Last edited by chrisnol; 04-01-2006 at 12:41 PM..
Old 04-01-2006, 12:37 PM   #5
gadgetjunkies

I'm sure the egrips help but it should have a snugger fit as is. I'll wait for Salo to get back with me to see what can be done.
Old 04-01-2006, 01:46 PM   #6
Salo Rechtszaid
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
I'm sure the egrips help but it should have a snugger fit as is. I'll wait for Salo to get back with me to see what can be done.
I apologize for the loose fit, we will make sure you get a new one that corrects that problem.
When I get yours back I will be able to see the production labels that are placed in each case which determine the operator that put it together and the production run number. With that information we will be able to address the problem at the source.

Again, our apologies and another one will be produced for you ASAP
Old 04-01-2006, 01:50 PM   #7
gadgetjunkies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salo Rechtszaid
I apologize for the loose fit, we will make sure you get a new one that corrects that problem.
When I get yours back I will be able to see the production labels that are placed in each case which determine the operator that put it together and the production run number. With that information we will be able to address the problem at the source.

Again, our apologies and another one will be produced for you ASAP
I don't think I have ever seen such incredible customer service. THANK YOU! Salo, Is there a specific address to return it to?
Old 04-01-2006, 02:28 PM   #8
Salo Rechtszaid

Model: 8700

Quote:
I don't think I have ever seen such incredible customer service. THANK YOU! Salo, Is there a specific address to return it to?
The address is on our web page under returns (bottom of the home page)
I will send you an e-mail tomorrow or Monday with further instruccions.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:46 AM   #9
Gauss

Model: 8110
Carrier: Rogers

I too am having a problem with the STI case. When I received it about 1 week ago, it was a very snug fit, when I turn it upside down and shake it, the blackberry did not come out. After 1 week of heavy use (I get about 200 email per day not counting spams), the case has became very loose. The blackberry actually falls out if I hold the case upside down. I have since ordered another case from Fortte, but for now, I will go back to the plastic holster that came with my blackberry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01763.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	2421  

Last edited by Gauss; 04-03-2006 at 12:49 AM..
Old 04-03-2006, 01:19 AM   #10
Liv
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauss
I too am having a problem with the STI case. When I received it about 1 week ago, it was a very snug fit, when I turn it upside down and shake it, the blackberry did not come out. After 1 week of heavy use (I get about 200 email per day not counting spams), the case has became very loose. The blackberry actually falls out if I hold the case upside down. I have since ordered another case from Fortte, but for now, I will go back to the plastic holster that came with my blackberry.
Hmmm, the elastic banding on the side may be where the stretching is coming from...Elastic will always stretch out over heavy use and time...

Device: Sprint 8330 Curve - Crimson
My heart belongs to Seattle18 (Who I met on the Forums, ironic.)
Old 04-03-2006, 02:03 PM   #11
The Truth
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530

I ordered a custom STi Vert case a few weeks back and am still waiting for the thing. How long did it take for you to recieve it GJ? Also, I really hope mine comes in without any defects. Im nervous after reading this because unlike the many on this thread, I dont use e-grips.

Quote:
Old 04-03-2006, 02:29 PM   #12
gadgetjunkies

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Truth
I ordered a custom STi Vert case a few weeks back and am still waiting for the thing. How long did it take for you to recieve it GJ? Also, I really hope mine comes in without any defects. Im nervous after reading this because unlike the many on this thread, I dont use e-grips.
I don't use egrips either. I will say though that Salo at Fortte has been exceptional in taking care of the problem. He has a new case on its way to me now. I will post once I get it. I'm sure it will be fine with the new case.

As far as how long it took....seems like about 2 and a half weeks or so.

The elastic should not wear out that quick even with alot of use. I've had a pouch type case with elastic on the sides for my V557 phone for over a year with no problems. Fits as snug as the day I got it. I would think the Fortte case should do the same.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:41 PM   #13
pyro451
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9810

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Truth
I don't use egrips and have not had any trouble with either of my STi cases. I have one without clip with the elastic and one (the orginal design concept one) without elastic. The elastic should help hold the 'berry better and allow for the use of the extended battery.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:30 AM   #14
djeddiebear
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: T-Mobile & Verizon

I just recieved my STi Vertical Pouch, but it had the logo. :( I specifically sent out an email asking to not have it.

Order Nro 251667 Placed 2006-03-26 23:20:22

Last edited by djeddiebear; 04-04-2006 at 01:40 AM..
Old 04-07-2006, 09:15 PM   #15
BBNate

Hmm...I was on the verge of ordering an STi today until I read this thread. That pic is pretty worrisome. I don't get 200 e-mails a day, but close to 100 and I pull my 8700 out of its holster a good 25+ times per day. The elastic shouldn't become that loose, especially in such a short period of time. Many users @ my office have the fabric/elastic-sided OEM case for the 7100g and no one has reported loosening, so sounds like a manufacturing issue. Possibly gadgetjunkies and Gauss received theirs from the same production run?

I'd prefer not to have a case w/flap - one more thing to do to pull my BB out of the holster, so have high hopes for the STi case...the reason I haven't ordered a Gizmoskin or similar. Guess I'll have to wait and see how things progress reading this thread.

Thanks for the info...
Old 04-07-2006, 09:47 PM   #16
gadgetjunkies

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBNate
Hmm...I was on the verge of ordering an STi today until I read this thread. That pic is pretty worrisome. I don't get 200 e-mails a day, but close to 100 and I pull my 8700 out of its holster a good 25+ times per day. The elastic shouldn't become that loose, especially in such a short period of time. Many users @ my office have the fabric/elastic-sided OEM case for the 7100g and no one has reported loosening, so sounds like a manufacturing issue. Possibly gadgetjunkies and Gauss received theirs from the same production run?

I'd prefer not to have a case w/flap - one more thing to do to pull my BB out of the holster, so have high hopes for the STi case...the reason I haven't ordered a Gizmoskin or similar. Guess I'll have to wait and see how things progress reading this thread.

Thanks for the info...
They have a new one on it's way. We'll see how the new one is. I'm looking hard at the new Seidio case.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:55 PM   #17
rudy_ca2mp

Model: 9700
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Add one more like gadget junkie...
I contacted Salo and I am waiting for him to get back to me again. Hopefully he can do something. I know he will, my only concern is that I live north of the border...
However, I have had my BB fall out of my pouch about 4 times now...
um, Arg...

Last edited by rudy_ca2mp; 04-07-2006 at 10:23 PM..
Old 04-07-2006, 10:05 PM   #18
gadgetjunkies

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudy_ca2mp
Add one more like gadget junkie...
I contacted Salo and I am waiting for him to get back to me again. Hopefully he can do something. I know he will, my only concern is that I was north of the border...
However, I have had my BB fall out of my pouch about 4 times now...
um, Arg...
Okay I'm getting concerned now.
Old 04-08-2006, 12:45 AM   #19
ShaneToronto
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8300r
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Just ordered the sti case a few days ago. ugh. Did everyone with this problem order the standard black? or did you get the upgraded leather?
Old 04-08-2006, 01:13 AM   #20
BBNate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneToronto
Just ordered the sti case a few days ago. ugh. Did everyone with this problem order the standard black? or did you get the upgraded leather?
Doesn't sound to be a specific leather option, but more likely has to do with the addition of the elastic, though who knows for sure.

Check this thread for the origin of the STi case and look at the pictures of the first model - it had only leather on the sides - the elastic was added shortly after to help accomodate the extended battery, etc. I wonder if anyone but pyro recieved a leather-only case an if any of them have had the loosening issue.

Can't post a URL yet, but the link info would have:

t=27710&referrerid=41323

Would be worth asking Salo or someone at Fortte if they can still make the STi case without elastic for the same price, if that might avoid the loosening problem experienced by some. From the feedback on their customer service and this being a brand new product from them, I'm sure they'll do all they can to remedy the problem and make things right with those who already own the case. If there's no quick resolution I'll probably "suffer" with ordering the GizmoSkin v3 and dealing with a flap.
Closed Thread