Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 03:08 AM   #1
devlol
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon
Default bse skins & 8700g - bullsh*t

Please Login to Remove!

I got my bb8700g a few months ago, before I even received it, I purchased a set for it from bestskinsever.com based on reviews I had read here.

I put the bse on, had some difficulty getting it on but no problem. Waited approximately 24 hours like the directions state then put my battery back in and my phone worked fine.

2 months go by. My screen decides to black out but I can connect to my desktop manager. I can backup data, I even formatted the phone via the tech guy's instructions (tmo tech guy on the phone).

Nothing worked to get the screen back up so I ordered a replacement under warranty and sent my phone back.

They come back this month and state my phone was water damaged and are charging me $120 for out of warranty expenses aka their crappy insurance plan.

wtf. so my phone comes into contact with a little bit of water, and the screen goes out a few months later and tmo's reasoning that the phone's screen went out was water damage.

That's ridiculous. What do you guys think? My fault?
Old 08-21-2006, 05:52 AM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

"so my phone comes into contact with a little bit of water"

You were doing well until that sentence.

Your fault.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:46 AM   #3
finch
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: N/A
Carrier: N/A

Your fault, if BlackBerry's or any PDA/PIM phone were water proof I'm sure it would be stated in the specs...
Quote:
Originally Posted by devlol
my phone comes into contact with a little bit of water, and the screen goes out a few months later and tmo's reasoning that the phone's screen went out was water damage.

What do you guys think? My fault?
Old 08-21-2006, 08:42 AM   #4
SmokinV10
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: AT&T

There is a small white sticker under the battery cover that turns red to indicate water contact. There is enough water used when applying the skins to turn that sticker from white to red. Just peel off the sticker next time. or put a piece of tape over it when applying the skins. I dont see how that sticker proves that the water contact is the culprit behind the problematic phone, but i would guess thats how they tell.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:10 AM   #5
tprime
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinV10
There is a small white sticker under the battery cover that turns red to indicate water contact. There is enough water used when applying the skins to turn that sticker from white to red. Just peel off the sticker next time. or put a piece of tape over it when applying the skins. I dont see how that sticker proves that the water contact is the culprit behind the problematic phone, but i would guess thats how they tell.
Wow! i wish i knew that before. My sticker is red. I have that same skin. fortunately i haven't had any problems with my phone...Yet. Hopefully it lasts till the 8100 comes out. but that's good advice for any one putting on those skins
Old 08-21-2006, 11:31 AM   #6
devlol
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
"so my phone comes into contact with a little bit of water"

You were doing well until that sentence.

Your fault.
but i'm confused. if it was water damage wouldn't the phone have gone out ... like right then and there as soon as i turned it on?

why would the water damage not affect it until 2 months down the road?
Old 08-21-2006, 01:26 PM   #7
mextel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by devlol
but i'm confused. if it was water damage wouldn't the phone have gone out ... like right then and there as soon as i turned it on?

why would the water damage not affect it until 2 months down the road?
nope,
I worked for a phone service and repair center for 5 years, and I always saw that. Some units are sensitive and some aren't. I had a person drop their phone in a lake, they pulled it out, it dried for a day and it worked for another 8 months. it can happen.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:51 PM   #8
devlol
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mextel
nope,
I worked for a phone service and repair center for 5 years, and I always saw that. Some units are sensitive and some aren't. I had a person drop their phone in a lake, they pulled it out, it dried for a day and it worked for another 8 months. it can happen.
I see. Ah well, thanks for the info.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:56 AM   #9
lmlloyd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g

Chances are that you did absolutely no damage to your device. You can soak electronics in water all day long as long as they have no charge in them, and dry out completely before you run a charge through them. Now occasionally, impurities in the water will deposit themselves across a trace and short something out, but I seriously doubt that much water got in your device just applying the skin, and that can even happen from normal atmospheric condensation.

But, that sticker turning red means they are allowed to charge you extra money, whether you damaged the device or not.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:26 AM   #10
Damager
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular

Simple solution - always install skins with the battery door cover removed. You must have used ALOT of water to get that sticker wet on the back of the device.

Having said that, your situation sucks hard.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:37 AM   #11
devlol
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damager
Simple solution - always install skins with the battery door cover removed. You must have used ALOT of water to get that sticker wet on the back of the device.

Having said that, your situation sucks hard.
i actually had the battery cover off when i was putting the skin on the battery cover.

and by sticker, we're talking about that little white square thing under the battery cover door at the bottom right?
Old 08-24-2006, 08:57 AM   #12
stripesace
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8300

Yep.

I put a peice of paper towel over mine, and then taped it on there. My sticker staid white. You don't SOAK the bb in the water, and the skins shoulkdnt be that saturated.

I live in Houston Texas, humidiity central of the world, and when walking from inside to out, glasses condensate, etc. but I've never had my sticker go red from anything like that.

Sucks about the LDI, but it ain't BSE's fault, it's a great product that I use on all of my devices with no problems.