Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 11:02 AM   #1
KeilwerthSX90R
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: none
Carrier: ATT
Default Receiving HTML emails late on my Cingular 8800 using BIS

Please Login to Remove!

Is there a reason some messages are not getting sent to my BB8800 as quickly (if at all) as other?

I have Yahoo mail setup on Cingular's BIS and even though I read elsewhere that Yahoo mail didn't push on the Cingular network, most emails arrive immediately. The culprits seem to be HTML based messages such as those sent from Gmail or notifications from bulletin boards like this that someone has replied to a thread I subscribed to.

Am I right that these are 'HTML' emails? Is there a setting or filter or something to avoid this problem?

Thanks,
Josh

Last edited by KeilwerthSX90R; 03-15-2007 at 12:53 PM..
Old 03-15-2007, 11:19 AM   #2
H3LLFIRE
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

I've found the complete opposite. Gmail gets pushed to my berry near instantly. It's my MSN hotmail that seems to be delayed. I always thought it was more of a server issue (MSN, Google, Yahoo, etc.) than the fault of Cingular's BIS.

Gmail does need to have its Settings adjusted to allow POP download of messages. That could be the problem.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:12 PM   #3
KeilwerthSX90R

Thanks for the response. I'm using the Gmail app on the blackberry which is great.

What I meant was the emails sent to my Yahoo account from Gmail - a web based email client - were taking longer to arrive, and not getting pushed to the blackberry than emails sent through IMAP or Exchange based email clients.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:02 PM   #4
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!
Carrier: AT&T

You IMAP accounts are polled every 15 minutes, unlike other mail that is forward to your device address.

I live on AOL (IMAP) mail and have my email pushed to me every 60 seconds by a service called Versa Forward http:/www.versaforward.com

This service polls my AOL account and forwards my mail every minute with out fail. It allows me to hold real time conversations with my customers. Without it you can wait as long as 15 minutes for mail on IMAP accounts.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:10 PM   #5
Berry One
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
Carrier: WiFi hotspot

When Yahoo flags email as a spam it is not delivered to the blackberry. Could it be the reason?
Old 03-15-2007, 08:48 PM   #6
habanero69
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt
You IMAP accounts are polled every 15 minutes, unlike other mail that is forward to your device address.
Without it you can wait as long as 15 minutes for mail on IMAP accounts.
I'd love to hear your logic/support for that claim That is simply untrue. I get email from many IMAP accounts in near realtime. You should not make such false statments.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:16 AM   #7
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!
Carrier: AT&T
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by habanero69
I'd love to hear your logic/support for that claim That is simply untrue. I get email from many IMAP accounts in near realtime. You should not make such false statments.
Sorry NEWBIE, tell me how you are getting AOL (IMAP) mail in real time, are you special or what. If you are on BIS you might get a message in a minute but only because your account happened to be polled then. On schedule it happen every 15 minutes. SO, you are not getting your mail in real time

YOU are making "false statements" and lack knowledge of what you are talking about
Old 03-16-2007, 12:34 PM   #8
KeilwerthSX90R

I know for other Verizon and Tmobile that Yahoo has a setup up their system to push to Blackberres. I had read that on Cingular this wasn't true but my experience leads me to believe that Yahoo pushes to Cingular BBs also.

Therefore - unlike AOL or other IMAP servers - Yahoo (and Gmail) are push. I get email sent to my yahoo account sent from corporate exchange servers, or things like my .Mac IMAP account in real-time but emails from Gmail do not get pushed and usually arrive whenever another email is pushed.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:22 PM   #9
mjohnson

Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers

Very, very close - Yahoo and Gmail have a notify system set up and work with BIS to deliver email fairly instantaneously. Pretty much every other BIS account integration (unless you have a system like greggebhardt's set up) will work on a 15-minute polling cycle. If you have email sent to you close to the end of this cycle, it will seem to be fairly instantaneous.

habanero69 - do you have a forwarding rule set up on your mail server? That would account for the realtime delivery, and also limit your reconciliation abilities. greggebhardt is completely correct - if you doubt either of us, check out RIM's knowledge base.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:33 PM   #10
backbeat
No longer Registered.

Model: 8700G

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt
Sorry NEWBIE, tell me how you are getting AOL (IMAP) mail in real time, are you special or what. If you are on BIS you might get a message in a minute but only because your account happened to be polled then. On schedule it happen every 15 minutes. SO, you are not getting your mail in real time

YOU are making "false statements" and lack knowledge of what you are talking about
Depending upon the email tools your carrier (or other 3rd-party) provides and if forwarding rules are applied, IMAP can be virtually instantaneous.

Kettle, meet Pot.
Closed Thread