Old 02-01-2008, 05:48 PM   #1
jsplit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: 2432499F
Carrier: ATT
Default AT&T Outage Info

Please Login to Remove!

Just thought I'd do some shameless self promotion and pass you all along some of the power of BoxTone.

Our customers started receiving Carrier alerts as a result of an AT&T data outage.

This all happened about 15 minutes after BoxTone started to notice groups of users being impacted by out of coverage loglines, decreased mailflow volume - coupled with large increase in pending messages.

As nobody can watch a console in real time, this alert drove our customers to take a closer look at things and pull up the BoxTone console's from their BlackBerry devices or from the web to really see how things were taking shape.

The cool thing to look for is that for the 2 BES in the second row, not only did BoxTone see the obvious pending message counts rise, but we also saw almost a complete flat-line on the server's message flow volume. And with BoxTone all these metrics were baselined or learned within the product so we instantly detected the abnormality.

At BoxTone we found out later from an official AT&T Email that the outage was from:

Start Time: Jan 31 2008 06:31 AM PST
Time of Resolution: Jan 31 2008 12:10 PM PST

This firmly backs up what our customers were first alerted to at approximately 8:45 AM CST.

Being a tech guy it's really great to get validation out of the software that your company produces.

For our customer's privacy I've masked their server names and any other private information and simply replaced things with our server names - but I wanted to pass along a screenshot.

Take a look...

Thanks

Jon
Boxtone
http://www.boxtone.com

Last edited by jsplit; 02-01-2008 at 06:02 PM..
Old 02-02-2008, 05:25 AM   #2
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg

Moved to Aftermarket Software ... shameless yes ... but still a plug nonetheless. If I'm off kilter here someone will smack me around.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:53 AM   #3
jsntrenkler
BlackBerry Blooded

Model: 9630
PIN: ????
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I found the information very interesting .. Thanks for Posting!
Old 02-03-2008, 08:12 PM   #4
BigA
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: iphon
PIN: Prick
Carrier: Verizon

Question: If your service provider is having issues or is down, then how do I get notified that there are problems via my blackberry? Since the service is down so is my BoxTone notifcation? Or does the BoxTone client on my blackberry notice that it doesn't see my BES then goes into a screaming mad alert on my BB.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:21 PM   #5
boxtone

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T
Default Notifications

BigA,

A good question about notifications and it goes to the heart of how any good systems management product functions. There must be multiple methods for delivering alerts/notifications and they must have independent paths. BoxTone provides alerts a) visually in the dashboard, b) via email, c) via SNMP traps, d) via HP OpenView integration and e) via MS SCOM integration. In addition, BoxTone has several integration adaptors that can be used to connect to other 3rd party alerting or systems management products.

Regards,

Alan
Closed Thread