BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 08:52 PM   #1
shrt bus

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Alltel/Verizon
Default Windows Live Search/Google Maps (Newbie)

Please Login to Remove!

Hey all...

Name is Rick. New BB Curve owner was using an HTC Touch. I really like the phone.. definitely different than the WM stuff. Just gotta get used to how things work on with BB's.

Im trying to get Google Maps or WLS to work with the GPS. There isnt an option on Maps to center on GPS location like on the touch? On WLS I see a "configure" option for the GPS and BB GPS comes up.. but when I do that.. it tells me it doesnt work? So what can I do to change that?

Thanks so much any help/insight!

Rick
Old 08-30-2008, 10:26 PM   #2
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

I'm not too familiar with Alltel, but when I look at the Curve and plan features on the Alltel website, it does not show GPS for the Curve. It does show GPS for the 8830 however. But someone else here will know more than me about Alltel.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:29 AM   #3
cyberhound
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8820
Carrier: at&t, less bars in less places

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrt bus View Post
Hey all...

Name is Rick. New BB Curve owner was using an HTC Touch. I really like the phone.. definitely different than the WM stuff. Just gotta get used to how things work on with BB's.

Im trying to get Google Maps or WLS to work with the GPS. There isnt an option on Maps to center on GPS location like on the touch? On WLS I see a "configure" option for the GPS and BB GPS comes up.. but when I do that.. it tells me it doesnt work? So what can I do to change that?

Thanks so much any help/insight!

Rick
Assuming Alltel doesn't block GPS like Verizon....

Is the GPS enabled in your BB options? Go to Options>Advanced>GPS and make sure it is. If it is, and you have configured it in WLS, then there should be an option to center on GPS, as well as start GPS tracking. It normally takes a minute for WLS to get the BB GPS running, so you may get a message saying that your GPS position is not available and tracking will begin as soon as it becomes available. And quickly it will be, and voila, your map will show your GPS postion. At least that's the way mine works.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:30 AM   #4
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon

Alltel locks down the GPS.

Blackberry Tracker will enable the GPS.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:11 AM   #5
UncleMike
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
PIN: ch me, I must be dreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcycle Mama View Post
Alltel locks down the GPS.

Blackberry Tracker will enable the GPS.
For all apps, or just for itself? Will it do the same on a Verizon device?
Old 09-01-2008, 01:54 PM   #6
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

If you install Blackberry Tracker, you will get GPS in Blackberry Maps and Google Maps. I haven't tested it with any other apps.

Don't have any idea about Verizon.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:12 PM   #7
cyberhound
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8820
Carrier: at&t, less bars in less places

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcycle Mama View Post
If you install Blackberry Tracker, you will get GPS in Blackberry Maps and Google Maps. I haven't tested it with any other apps.

Don't have any idea about Verizon.
I don't see how that app would make any difference as to whether the other two apps work. Alltel does not sell BB tracker so I doubt that if they did lock down their GPS that it would be tied to it. It would make sense that the GPS would be tied to software they sell. There must be some internal setting that BB Tracker changes that is being missed when setting up the other two apps on the Alltel network. Anyway, it likely will not matter once Verizon takes over Alltell, and if you choose to stay with them, as your GPS will be locked down unless you pay the $9.99 per month for their VZnavigator software.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:57 PM   #8
octavito
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: Claro

can google maps be download and install trow WIFI? only
Old 09-01-2008, 04:39 PM   #9
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberhound View Post
I don't see how that app would make any difference as to whether the other two apps work. Alltel does not sell BB tracker so I doubt that if they did lock down their GPS that it would be tied to it. It would make sense that the GPS would be tied to software they sell. There must be some internal setting that BB Tracker changes that is being missed when setting up the other two apps on the Alltel network. Anyway, it likely will not matter once Verizon takes over Alltell, and if you choose to stay with them, as your GPS will be locked down unless you pay the $9.99 per month for their VZnavigator software.
Nope. The Blackberry Tracker program unlocks the internal GPS. If you don't start it up first, the other programs won't get a satellite lock.

Doesn't really matter to me anyway since I have 2 real GPS units.
Closed Thread