Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 06:17 AM   #1
Ben James Rayner

Model: 8820
PIN: 2517A580
Carrier: Orange UK
Default 8820 - some problems

Please Login to Remove!

1) i cant seem to browse the blackberry mobile site where you can download some mobile.blackberry.com, comes up on my phones browser the same as it would it firefox.

2) i can't get google maps to work. nothing happens.

any help? especially with the first one. i cant download blackberry maps either which id be very interested to try.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:54 AM   #2
wusmani
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
PIN: 203A948C
Carrier: Etisalat

how are you accessing the internet? Wifi or GPRS?

You may have an issue with your wifi settings; are you able to send and receive using wifi?

It works like a charm for me, much faster than using GPRS/EDGE.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:26 AM   #3
bigberry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
PIN: 25292854
Carrier: O2

Ben Blackberry maps is hidden on your phone you need to download a copy of your OSfrom here

BlackBerry - BlackBerry Desktop and Device Software Download Sites

then take a look at this post, it should help you out a lot.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gps-...lackberry.html

As for google maps i had the same problem i know i had to delete the service book called ipp for 5 click, i cant remember if that was all, some one on here will know for sure.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:39 AM   #4
Ben James Rayner

Model: 8820
PIN: 2517A580

hey

desktop manager only seems to be for pcs?

im on a mac.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:26 AM   #5
dmacd
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben James Rayner View Post
hey

desktop manager only seems to be for pcs?

im on a mac.
You seems to be having the same problems I've had with Orange UK. For problems accessing the BB mobile site see these threads:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...om-8820-a.html
http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...orange-uk.html

For problems accessing Blackberry Maps see this thread:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gps-...lackberry.html

I am also on Mac but Blackberry is generally meant for a PC environment. You can set the Mac to sync contacts, calendar with the BB but I have yet to see a third party application sync with the Mac (at least the dozen or so I have tried). I find it is better to run Windows within Mac (using Parallels or VMWare) and stick to syncing with the PC Desktop Manager.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:13 AM   #6
tony@sirfox.plus.com
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: O2

Hi dmacd,

From your two web pages linked RE: BB web page it is not clear if you found a solution or one was found. Was it cleared up for you and if so could you explain if you have time please.

I am a new BB user and am on the verge of buying the 8820 with Orange as you have. If you dontmind me asking, what made you go for the 8820 and not the Curve? Was it the network or the phone or both? Finally could i ask you, have you had any of the memmory leak/deletion of email problems found with some users of the Curve on the 8820?

Many Thanks,

Tony.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:56 AM   #7
dmacd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony@sirfox.plus.com View Post
Hi dmacd,

From your two web pages linked RE: BB web page it is not clear if you found a solution or one was found. Was it cleared up for you and if so could you explain if you have time please.

I am a new BB user and am on the verge of buying the 8820 with Orange as you have. If you dontmind me asking, what made you go for the 8820 and not the Curve? Was it the network or the phone or both? Finally could i ask you, have you had any of the memmory leak/deletion of email problems found with some users of the Curve on the 8820?

Many Thanks,

Tony.
Tony,
As I mentioned in a note in one of links above, Orange said they were making changes to their BB setup and asked me to try logging onto mobile.blackberry.com in about a week. Its been about a week and there is still no change- the site still doesn't work. I will probably give Orange a call tomorrow.

As for why I went with the BB 8820, it was an opportune moment for me. I have been on Orange for a few years and was using the Treo 650. The Treo however is a few years old and Palm seems to have stagnated on the hardware (and Palm OS) front. After looking into other possibilities I came across the 8820 which seemed to meet my needs. The 8820 has Wifi which I believe the Curve does not - and I sometimes go from Wifi hotspot to Wifi hotspot. Wifi is important to me considering the very high GPRS rates in the UK. Luckily after noticing the 8820 on the web, Orange (which are notorious for having a very meager selection of phones) came out with the device on their network. I was up for renewal and decided to get the phone for a small fee. If the 8820 had come out on Vodaphone or T-mobile for example, I probably would have changed networks. The network played no part in my decision- it was the 8820 with the combination of telephone, push email, Wifi and GPS that I was looking for.

I see that vodaphone UK offers the Curve and if you don't need Wifi it sounds like a good option.

I haven't noticed any memory leaks/deletion of emails problems. So far the device has been pretty stable, only freezing a couple times when I was trying some other third party applications. The Desktop Manager has crashed a few times but I am on a Mac and running the Desktop Manager in a virtual WinXP machine under MacOS so I can't really say that the BB software is to blame.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:19 PM   #8
Buffalomike

Model: 8700c
Carrier: cingular

How is the browsing speed on Wifi with the 8820?
Old 08-28-2007, 03:06 PM   #9
dmacd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalomike View Post
How is the browsing speed on Wifi with the 8820?
Its as fast as I've seen it on other handheld devices, for example a Palm Tungsten C or a Sony PSP. If the web site is formatted for the small screen and your ISP connection is good then it is quite fast - no lagging.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:49 AM   #10
dmacd

The Blackberry website mobile.blackberry.com still doesn't work on the Orange UK network using the 8820. I waited a couple weeks then tried again. I called Orange today and they don't have a solution. The only thing they said was that they are rolling out BIS 2.4 and that might fix it. They are rolling out 2.4 over time and can't give a date when a users' specific account will be upgraded.

I wonder if this site works in the UK.

Has anyone using Orange UK been able to get to mobile.blackberry.com using any Blackberry phone ?

Also has anyone on any UK network been able the get to the site from their BB?

Thanks
Closed Thread