BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 11:19 AM   #1
chhall

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T
Default 9700 Hangs during Boot

Please Login to Remove!

Hey everyone, I've been stalking the forums for years and could usually find what I needed that way. I know I've seen the solution to this in the past, but can't seem to find it right now. My Bold 9700 decided in the middle of the night some time last night to reboot. It never fully booted back up. The progress bar gets just about to the 'e' in BlackBerry and then stops. I've pulled my SIM and my microSD card, tried different batteries, nothing seems to work. It always boots to that point and just sits there. I'm running the latest supported OS from AT&T (5.0.0.405).

Now, I seem to remember from some threads in the past (mostly dealing with recovering after botched OS upgrades) that there is a way to get the attention of this thing via my PC and wipe it and attempt reloading the OS, but can't seem to find anything via searching. I downloaded the BB Swiss Army Knife app, but it won't even start up. Anyone know what I can do at this point, short of calling AT&T for a warranty replacement? I can do that if necssary, but would like to fix it myself if possible.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:01 PM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Check the FAQ for Jl_cmdr.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 03-10-2010, 12:16 PM   #3
chhall

Carrier: AT&T

Thanks! The JL_Cmder FAQ I found pointed me, in turn, to running apploader.exe with the -nojvm switch. With this method, I was able to gain access to the phone and reload the OS.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:39 AM   #4
luv_shez

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone
Angry

I have the same problem, where my phone has hung on the "e" of blackberry at the time of booting. I cannot follow this solution because it is not letting me connect to the desktop manager. the error it gives is "Before you begin, verify that your current BlackBerry device is connected to your computer"

I have checked the chords etc, all is fine. Please can someone help!!!!
Old 05-31-2010, 05:52 PM   #5
NYCity212

Carrier: T-Mobile

i think the best thing to do is to turn off your phone and then take out the battery. Make sure that when you are booting up that your memory card is not inserted. Once your phone is fully booted, then you can go ahead and insert your memory card.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:43 AM   #6
rontiu
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT Wireless

I stumbled on something that helped me - rebooting your bb in safemode - yes, most BB os have a safe mode option.

you should be able to google the instruction on the official blackberry suppport forum, but basically, you do a battery pull, when the red light goes out, yuo press press the reverse arrow sign (u turn?) that's next to the trackpad/track ball, keep pressing until the splash screen appears.

once the phone successfully opens up, it will show safe mode. At that point you could back up the phone, and also do a security wipe on the phone too...

recently, i discovered that the att my world application created a major disaster on my phone, it made the phone hang ..during an OS reinstall with re-install my apps..at the same...a nifty option I found which may become handy..
Old 06-18-2010, 11:04 AM   #7
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontiu
I stumbled on something that helped me - rebooting your bb in safemode - yes, most BB os have a safe mode option.

you should be able to google the instruction on the official blackberry suppport forum, but basically, you do a battery pull, when the red light goes out, yuo press press the reverse arrow sign (u turn?) that's next to the trackpad/track ball, keep pressing until the splash screen appears.

once the phone successfully opens up, it will show safe mode. At that point you could back up the phone, and also do a security wipe on the phone too...

recently, i discovered that the att my world application created a major disaster on my phone, it made the phone hang ..during an OS reinstall with re-install my apps..at the same...a nifty option I found which may become handy..
That's cool. Just tested and there is indeed a safe mode. The user will see a dailog box stating the device is in safe mode, that this happens when the escape key is held during boot, and to press ok to continue or reset to exit. Pressing reset reboots. I didn't continue in safe mode.

Good to know for future reference. Thanks.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:11 PM   #8
devnull
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: I747
Carrier: at&t

Safe mode only works with OS 4.6+. At least that is what is being reported by others.