Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 08:20 PM   #1
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS
Default iTunes Plus

Please Login to Remove!

My understanding is that with itunes 7.2., we can use itunes plus for $1.29 a song and transfer to our bb device with no problem. I do see the list is limited. Am I correct?
Old 06-22-2007, 08:27 PM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Moved to Media Center
Old 06-22-2007, 08:32 PM   #3
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Sorry. Thank You.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:22 PM   #4
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

the itunes plus content has no DRM on it, i dont know about the compatibility with the device. But it has no drm so at worst it would need a conversion but might not even need that, mine are AAC at 256kpbs but i have not tried to transfer them yet.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:51 PM   #5
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

It would be a nice compromise if it indeed works.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:53 PM   #6
test54
BlackBerry Master

it should work fine i think
Old 06-22-2007, 09:57 PM   #7
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

I accidentally reformatted my media card which ruined it, so I will definitely be trying in the next 24 - 48 hrs. Please share your outcome, if you try it.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:16 PM   #8
test54
BlackBerry Master

ok i transferred my iTunes plus stuff to media card and yes it works perfectly, even has the album cover for the picture while playing.

Last edited by test54; 06-22-2007 at 10:25 PM..
Old 06-22-2007, 10:18 PM   #9
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by test54 View Post
the itunes plus content has no DRM on it, i dont know about the compatibility with the device. But it has no drm so at worst it would need a conversion but might not even need that, mine are AAC at 256kpbs but i have not tried to transfer them yet.
You did indeed. Thank You
Old 06-25-2007, 03:29 PM   #10
dtdt
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

I have the 8830, and purchased MissingSync software, and I have had ZERO limitations with what I can transfer from iTunes to my handset, regardless of source origin (e.g. iTunes store, limewire, etc). I have been able to download anything from my 5,000+ song iTunes library, and the majority of the songs were purchased for $0.99 from Apple. This is the first I've heard of the $1.29 clause.

Maybe I just have a glitch in the software? Maybe because I'm using Mac and not a PC? Honestly, I really don't care about having songs on my handset because it only plays in mono, and I don't have Bluetooth in my car, so really, it's just for personal amusement when I need to kill a few minutes. I have a 40G iPod, and I have ZERO interest in either purchasing an iPhone or switching to AT&T/Cingular (I loathed my stay with them in the past). My first generation iPod was cool, but loaded with glitches and lacked most of the user-friendly updates that have made the current iPod lineup so amazing. Plus, the cost is way too high considering that it is the first generation model.

I'll wait for the convergence of multimedia technologies to become solid and common in society before I give Apple my $$ for an iPod that can make phone calls (I know, I know...it does so much more than that....but I don't need a phone that folds my laundry and makes blended margaritas...)

Anyway, I am curious to find out what the deal is supposed to be with AAC songs and the 8830. I didn't know there were any restrictions, so I hope it stays that way on my handset (knock on wood!)
Old 06-27-2007, 11:25 AM   #11
jhkaplan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtdt View Post
I have the 8830, and purchased MissingSync software, and I have had ZERO limitations with what I can transfer from iTunes to my handset, regardless of source origin (e.g. iTunes store, limewire, etc). I have been able to download anything from my 5,000+ song iTunes library, and the majority of the songs were purchased for $0.99 from Apple. This is the first I've heard of the $1.29 clause.

Maybe I just have a glitch in the software? Maybe because I'm using Mac and not a PC? Honestly, I really don't care about having songs on my handset because it only plays in mono, and I don't have Bluetooth in my car, so really, it's just for personal amusement when I need to kill a few minutes. I have a 40G iPod, and I have ZERO interest in either purchasing an iPhone or switching to AT&T/Cingular (I loathed my stay with them in the past). My first generation iPod was cool, but loaded with glitches and lacked most of the user-friendly updates that have made the current iPod lineup so amazing. Plus, the cost is way too high considering that it is the first generation model.

I'll wait for the convergence of multimedia technologies to become solid and common in society before I give Apple my $$ for an iPod that can make phone calls (I know, I know...it does so much more than that....but I don't need a phone that folds my laundry and makes blended margaritas...)

Anyway, I am curious to find out what the deal is supposed to be with AAC songs and the 8830. I didn't know there were any restrictions, so I hope it stays that way on my handset (knock on wood!)
You can transfer them fine, but can you play them? I can transfer any iTunes purchased music to my 8300, but they wont play on the BB.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:58 PM   #12
dtdt
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Yes, it transfers AND plays all files. I would have mentioned that if it were a problem/limitation. And NONE of the tracks are the new $1.29 enhanced versions.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:36 PM   #13
test54
BlackBerry Master

dtdt, the 1.29 are the higher quality & no DRM music that EMI is offering on iTunes. It works the same as the regular tunes. I have transferred both types and they both play well on my 8800. Also if you have the cover art for the songs it will get transferred and it shows while playing.

jhkaplan, you cannot play the purchased songs on BB unless you strip away the DRM. To do it you must burn them to a cd and then rip them back onto your computer, after this they have no DRM(Digital Right Management).

The other alternative is to buy the iTunes plus songs which you can buy without DRM.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:47 PM   #14
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by test54 View Post
dtdt, the 1.29 are the higher quality & no DRM music that EMI is offering on iTunes. It works the same as the regular tunes. I have transferred both types and they both play well on my 8800. Also if you have the cover art for the songs it will get transferred and it shows while playing.

jhkaplan, you cannot play the purchased songs on BB unless you strip away the DRM. To do it you must burn them to a cd and then rip them back onto your computer, after this they have no DRM(Digital Right Management).

The other alternative is to buy the iTunes plus songs which you can buy without DRM.
The other other alternative is to download music from a newsgroup and transfer to your hearts content. Arrrr!! She be walkin' the plank! Hahaha (that was my in a music pirate voice, by the way).
Old 06-27-2007, 03:02 PM   #15
test54
BlackBerry Master

yeah of course their are tons of way to get music, legal or not but i was trying to answer the iTunes questions. I used to use limewire alot but quit after high college. but lets not get into the whole legal or moral discussion here.