Old 01-19-2010, 02:58 AM   #1
thailandbb

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: 12call/Verizon
Default Unlocked BB in Thailand won't connect to internet

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

I am living in Thailand and brought my unlocked world edition BB. I bought a sim card in Thailand with internet and can't access any internet. The browser icon is gone, and GPRS is in lowercase ( I was told it needs to be capitalized) I have tried going into option-advanced options-host routing table and still nothing. I even tried a new sim and still no browser. Can anyone help? I would love to have the internet on my BB again!!

Thanks
S
Old 01-19-2010, 03:26 AM   #2
dankarlinski
BlackBerry Master

Model: 1
Carrier: 1

Wirelessly posted (White and Nerdy)

This is because you need a blackberry specific data plan. A regular one won't get you all the good stuff
Old 01-19-2010, 03:28 AM   #3
monkeypaw
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

Seems like you're on AIS so that's at least the right provider. My 8320 has worked with prepaid 12Call just fine. Although it's only a wap browser, the service books downloaded automatically.

GPRS vs gprs shouldn't matter as GPRS means you're connected to BB data. gprs should be fine for just the browser. Actually you should hope for edge since it's faster.

Have you tried checking the options in the browser? I can't remember what it shows, but I remember ais and wap in the name of the connection type.

Also if you can change the APN, you may be able to try Opera Mini and apps that use the data connection. I believe the APN for AIS is "internet" with no quotes.

Edit: I just re-read that your browser icon is gone. I assume the hotkey B doesn't bring it up as well. Sounds like the service book is missing in which case you should call AIS and see if there's something they can do. The service book has downloaded just fine for me.

Last edited by monkeypaw; 01-19-2010 at 03:44 AM..
Old 01-19-2010, 03:41 AM   #4
monkeypaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankarlinski View Post
Wirelessly posted (White and Nerdy)

This is because you need a blackberry specific data plan. A regular one won't get you all the good stuff
AIS Thailand (marketing name is 12Call) is one of the rare providers that you can put a prepaid sim into a BB and the browser will work. Or I should say 8320 as that's the only phone I have tried. They happen to have sold the 8320 and my unlocked has 8320 worked fine with 3 different sims. Although I saw some thread that said the service books are all the same and the BB model shouldn't matter.

It does only operate as a wap browser so is pretty basic.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:02 AM   #5
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeypaw View Post
Seems like you're on AIS so that's at least the right provider. My 8320 has worked with prepaid 12Call just fine. Although it's only a wap browser, the service books downloaded automatically.

GPRS vs gprs shouldn't matter as GPRS means you're connected to BB data. gprs should be fine for just the browser. Actually you should hope for edge since it's faster.

Have you tried checking the options in the browser? I can't remember what it shows, but I remember ais and wap in the name of the connection type.

Also if you can change the APN, you may be able to try Opera Mini and apps that use the data connection. I believe the APN for AIS is "internet" with no quotes.

Edit: I just re-read that your browser icon is gone. I assume the hotkey B doesn't bring it up as well. Sounds like the service book is missing in which case you should call AIS and see if there's something they can do. The service book has downloaded just fine for me.
The OP will not get EDGE or edge on an 8830.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:08 AM   #6
TTsoldier
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
PIN: 2168B71A
Carrier: bmobile

Could be that the phone is stilled locked to the original carriers network.

Unlocked for voice, but not for data.

This has happened to me with a verizon storm.

On your BlackBerry, go to Options > Advanced Options > Sim Card.

At that screen type MEPD on your keyboard. A new menu will pop up.

Look for Network in the list.

Does it say active?

Last edited by TTsoldier; 01-19-2010 at 07:11 AM..
Old 01-19-2010, 07:28 AM   #7
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

He wouldn't even get gprs if it was still locked.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:58 AM   #8
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Although it's only a wap browser, the service books downloaded automatically.
OP is clearly not getting service books if the browser icon is missing. Getting the service books is the next step in troubleshooting though I have no clue how to get them pushed without a BB data plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTsoldier View Post
Could be that the phone is stilled locked to the original carriers network.

Unlocked for voice, but not for data.

This has happened to me with a verizon storm.

On your BlackBerry, go to Options > Advanced Options > Sim Card.

At that screen type MEPD on your keyboard. A new menu will pop up.

Look for Network in the list.

Does it say active?
How would you determine if the "data lock" (never heard of such a thing myself) is active? You're asking him to check the subsidy lock. OP wouldn't be able to use another carrier's SIM with an active subsidy lock as NJBlackberry has already pointed out.

Last edited by takeshi; 01-19-2010 at 09:00 AM..
Old 01-22-2010, 01:06 PM   #9
morozik

Model: 8830
Carrier: Page Plus

Hi ya'll...
This is my first post and its regarding my 8830 World Edition phone.
I had the phone for about a week now and got it activated with PagePlus.
However, internet or mms or email do not work.
Does anyone have the original Verizon Service Books that I can put on here?
Also, I upgraded the OS to 4.5 and seriously dislike it...does anyone have the 4.2 anywhere on their computer because Verizon website no longer has anything besides 4.5 :(
Any help would be appreciated!
Old 01-22-2010, 04:48 PM   #10
luckey7
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
Carrier: t mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by thailandbb View Post
Hi,

I am living in Thailand and brought my unlocked world edition BB. I bought a sim card in Thailand with internet and can't access any internet. The browser icon is gone, and GPRS is in lowercase ( I was told it needs to be capitalized) I have tried going into option-advanced options-host routing table and still nothing. I even tried a new sim and still no browser. Can anyone help? I would love to have the internet on my BB again!!

Thanks
S
buddy u have to call customer care of ur sim network provider to solve this issue because u are useing unlocked bb world edition u need date plan and GPRS setting of that network provider
Old 01-23-2010, 10:32 PM   #11
27Dmon

Model: 8320
Carrier: Rogers

It's also possible that the phone was registered on an BES and not released. RIM won't allow you to register the PIN on the BIS system if it is still active on a BES system.
This is independent of the cellular function. The carrier won't be able to do anything about that.
Dmon
Old 01-30-2010, 10:10 PM   #12
monkeypaw

Quote:
AIS Thailand (marketing name is 12Call) is one of the rare providers that you can put a prepaid sim into a BB and the browser will work. Or I should say 8320 as that's the only phone I have tried. They happen to have sold the 8320 and my unlocked has 8320 worked fine with 3 different sims. Although I saw some thread that said the service books are all the same and the BB model shouldn't matter.

It does only operate as a wap browser so is pretty basic.
Well, looks like I'm wrong about this. The service books had downloaded automatically using 3 or 4 prior AIS sim cards over 2 years.

Now, I'm sitting here with a new AIS sim and no service books for the browser have downloaded. The data connection works just fine so Opera Mini, gmail app. etc., work just fine, just no BB browser.

And tethering work just fine.

It may require a call to support as for older phones you used to have to call to get the settings for say a Razr V3 sent to the phone.
Closed Thread