Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 12:30 PM   #1
gdpmumin
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW
Default Charging Problems

Please Login to Remove!

My wife's Pearl suddenly will not charge from a wall outlet. Fortunately, it charged fine using the USB cable and laptop this morning. But I used two different BB chargers and neither worked. My Curve charges fine from the same wall outlet.

Any ideas?
Old 02-05-2008, 12:33 PM   #2
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdpmumin View Post
My wife's Pearl suddenly will not charge from a wall outlet. Fortunately, it charged fine using the USB cable and laptop this morning. But I used two different BB chargers and neither worked. My Curve charges fine from the same wall outlet.

Any ideas?

Same outlet but was it the same plug? You know those outlets that have a bottom plug that is always hot but the top one requires a wall switch to be on?

Did you use the OEM charger that came with the Pearl? It doesn't sound like hardware to me if you can charge it from another source.

E-

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Old 02-05-2008, 12:46 PM   #3
gdpmumin
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatzmister2u View Post
Same outlet but was it the same plug? You know those outlets that have a bottom plug that is always hot but the top one requires a wall switch to be on?

Did you use the OEM charger that came with the Pearl? It doesn't sound like hardware to me if you can charge it from another source.

E-
The outlet was hot. I used the OEM charger that came with the phone, one I had laying around from an earlier BB (7130), and mine (for my Curve). I did try two different outlets actually; I was remembering incorrectly that I tried my phone on her outlet. I didn't. I tried her phone on my outlet and it didn't charge on either mine or hers.

She says the battery seems to be charged after some time on the laptop.

I'll play around with it again when I get home. I just can't think of a reason it would do that.

Thanks for your help.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:13 PM   #4
reallynew
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

WOW, that's odd. I took a shot in the dark and came on here b/c I was having the exact same problem today.

I charged my Pearl on a wall outlet last night and everything was fine. I used it for most of the day today and had a busy phone day and the battery was low by 2pm. I tried charging it while talking from the same wall outlet and withing 1/2 hour my call was cutoff b/c of a low charge. I let it sit for an hour and nothing. Had to run an errand and hopped in the car and it charged half way on my car charger in 15 minutes. Now I've had it on the charger for 3 hours tonight and it hasn't increased.

If you find out what the problem is I'd be interested in hearing it. Thanks.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:35 AM   #5
seasonedstudent

Carrier: Sprint
Default Charging Issues too!

I have noticed that it sometimes takes all darn nite to charge my Pearl. Tried different outlets, using the charger that came with the phone, still the same. I just ordered another battery, not sure if that will change anything. I just think its weird that it takes so long to get it charged. Still love the phone though!
Laura
Old 02-08-2008, 12:13 AM   #6
bhbrown8

Model: 8100
Carrier: tmobile

When the phone is on and you plug it into the wall charger, do you see the little lightning bolt showing that it's accepting a charge? Or if you power the phone off, does the LED come on when you plug it in?

If not, sometimes what happens is one of the pins in the charge port might bend and not receive contact. It seems as if the pin for charging from a wall outlet is different than the one to communicate with the computer. Look at the charge port and see if you notice anything bent or shaped differently. And if it's not showing signs of charging (as mentioned above) try tilting the charging cable in slightly different directions to see if you get a response.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:21 AM   #7
Yankel

In general is it better to charge the phone with the power on or off? What is the difference?
Thanks
Old 02-20-2008, 09:29 AM   #8
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Doesn't matter, power on or off. Just give a charge any chance you get, 1- mins here or there. These batteries were not manufactured for constant or daily drain to 10-20%.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:34 AM   #9
gdpmumin
CrackBerry Addict

Default Follow Up

Just to follow up and give some closure to my original post: a pin was broken off inside the charging slot on my wife's Pearl. Why it charged fine on our laptop and nowhere else I have no idea. But SunCom swapped it out under warranty for a brand new unit, so all is well. It took about two weeks to get the new phone because they had to ship the old one to RIM, but in the meantime they gave her a loaner Pearl so she was able to have access to all the features she was used to while waiting on the new unit.

This was a pretty good customer service experience with SunCom.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:02 PM   #10
bhbrown8

Carrier: tmobile

^see my first message written above^

I'm actually in the process of learning (well, teaching myself) how to solder the charge ports back on at work. They seem way too fragile to me. And they're unbelievably hard to fix. lol. I'm glad everything worked out for your wife's phone.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:13 PM   #11
lesliecedillo

Carrier: T-Mobile

my husband & i both have pearl 8100 purchased at the same time. His will now not recognize the charger - wall, computer OR car, but mine will so we have been swaping out batteres everyday. T-Mobile suggested we update the phones software but it wiill not recognize the USB cable either - any ideas other than throwing it out the window? oh, the litlle connection icon shows up for a second or two & then goes out.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:19 PM   #12
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL

If it's still under warranty, take it back to T-Mobile and have them replace it.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:09 PM   #13
TSG1

Model: 8330
Carrier: verizon

MY 8830 curve is 2 weeks old and today when I plugged it into the wall charger it gave me no charging icon. I plugged it into the car charge and it showed charging. Came back into the house and plugged it back into the wall charger and it worked! BUT when I unplugged the charger it still gave me the charging icon! How weird. It is now on the wall charger and seems to be charging, and when I disconnect it, the icon disappears as well. Looks like some kind of software glitch to me. I checked all pins on chargers and phone and all seem to be fine. Hope I don't need to return it - I got it through the verizon website via mail - live wayyyyy out in the middle of nowhere!
Closed Thread