BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 12:47 PM   #41
avelasqu
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

Ok, so on the way home from work yesterday and a trip to a friends house, I tried AmazeGPS and Garmin.

AmazeGPS is pretty slick for a free application. Its very sluggish when youre trying to setup your route, but once its setup, it worked great.

Garmin was easy and seemless. Love it so far.

I am going to play with them more along with TeleNav trial and LiveSearcher this weekend and hopefully by Monday, we'll have a clearcut winner.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:19 PM   #42
avelasqu
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fftonyb View Post
ota.telenav.com/ota/tnatt/

Use your WAP browser. From some reason I couldn't get the link to work on my regular browser.
I just DL'ed this. How long will this trial last for?
Old 06-27-2008, 01:21 PM   #43
avelasqu
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by avelasqu View Post
I just DL'ed this. How long will this trial last for?
Crap, nevermind, I got my answer - it's asking me to login.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:11 PM   #44
avelasqu
CrackBerry Addict

So I am really liking Garmin (trial) so far. When I installed it yesterday and started it up for the first time, it said, "Your trial will expire in 7 days".

Its been over 24 hours and when I started it up it still said the same thing, will it just say that for the whole 7 days and then just stop working or did I get a crack version or something?

Anyways, Garmin is pretty slick and seems to do what I need it to do.

AmazeGPS got me lost twice (even though I knew where I was going) and in my area, when I go off route, it does not properly re-calculate.

So it is going to be off the list and uninstalled.

What I am still testing out is Garmin (trial), Nav4All and LiveSearcher.

And the testing continues...
Old 06-27-2008, 08:24 PM   #45
Soapm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: TMO

My Garmin says 1 days left...
Old 06-28-2008, 12:15 AM   #46
avelasqu
CrackBerry Addict

Well I guess I didnt wait long enough. It changed to "6 days left". Garmin is pretty slick. There are some new developments in our area that Garmin hasnt found yet, but I am assuming if I get the full registered version that it will allow me to download some updated maps?
Old 06-28-2008, 03:21 AM   #47
Redflea

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Are you guys saying you have voice directions w/Windows Live Search on your BB?!
Old 06-28-2008, 09:40 PM   #48
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redflea View Post
Are you guys saying you have voice directions w/Windows Live Search on your BB?!
Not me, Live search doesn't even track your location. You have to hit the space bar for the next turn.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:52 PM   #49
FightingDevil
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Default No MapQuest for me...2nd trial results...

Well, based on wangta01's review, I gave MapQuest another shot. I had the 30 day trial after WES and thought it was OK. Well, I got into MIA last night and headed out from the Thrifty rental car pickup using MapQuest and it managed to get me into 3 dead ends and 2 local roads that weren't exactly 'visitor' friendly. It completely bricked the routing to the Intercontinental West hotel.

I pulled over at a safe spot, fired up TeleNav and bang...on my way with no errors. I'll be calling MapQuest on Monday to cancel before the 7 day trial is over. My piece of mind is worth the extra 50 bucks.

Remember...YMMV...Thanks!!
Old 07-02-2008, 12:56 AM   #50
avelasqu
CrackBerry Addict

Ok, so after trying everything, I am going to purchase Garmin once my trial is over. I love the GUI and all of its features. It even showed me some back street short cuts that I thought only I knew.

I'll pay the $99, its well worth it. Thanks guys for your help and suggestion here!
Old 07-02-2008, 01:10 AM   #51
Soapm

Quote:
Ok, so after trying everything, I am going to purchase Garmin once my trial is over. I love the GUI and all of its features. It even showed me some back street short cuts that I thought only I knew.

I'll pay the $99, its well worth it. Thanks guys for your help and suggestion here!
Same here, that is nice
Old 07-02-2008, 07:32 AM   #52
sheldonbk

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers

Great thread.. really constructive posts.
I've been using Telenav now for a couple months. Very happy with it except that it takes a while to find GPS. Sometimes, if I go to "options-advance-GPS" and update the GPS location from there first, Telenav will then find my present location faster. From a program features, etc, Telenav blows away everything else I've tested. Like others have said, Nav4All really isn't worth considering unless you want a toy. It simply doesn't measure up when it comes to getting you where you have to be.
Except for the "finding GPS" frustration, I'd stick with Telenav. Now, I'm curious to see if Garmin has the same issues, so I followed the trial link on the GPS sticky thread (summary of all programs) and will give it a shot.

Sheldon
Old 07-03-2008, 08:43 AM   #53
ddodge68
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: Alltel
Default MQ Navigator review

I use Mapquest Navigator, and have for about 6 months. I love it! Yes, it occasionally has me turn on a dead end road, or takes me down a gravel road, but I live in rural Iowa. Can't expect it to be perfect every time. Here are the things that I really like about it.

1. Voice commands, with street names (I'm sure others have this as well, but I wouldn't have one that did not)
2. "Search Contacts". If you have entered addresses for your contacts, you can simply look up "Sam", and it will find all of the "Sams" in your contact list, and let you choose which one you want. Then it will get you directions to Sam's house.
3. Choose between "shortest route" and "fastest route"
4. Night mode, Turn mode, and Map mode. All are really great.
5. As someone else mentioned, it is fantastic at finding "places/businesses". I can type in "Golf", and it will find all of the golf courses, as well as any golf related businesses, in my area. Then if I highlight one of them, and hit the menu button, it offers me the option to call them right from MQ Navigator! This is awesome, in my opinion.

The only issue that I really have with it is that the "estimated travel time" is not usually very accurate. I usually get to my destination well before Navigator thought I should. But better early than late. And the screen also tells you how many miles you have to travel, so you can estimate it yourself better, probably.

The question was raised about battery life. I use Navigator in the "always on while navigating" mode, and it does drain the battery considerably faster. But like others have said, I just keep my phone plugged in, in the cradle, and it's no problem.

After 6 months of use, I am a firm believer in MQ Navigator. I will not be switching. It was well worth the money, in my opinion.

Good luck...
Old 07-03-2008, 01:15 PM   #54
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldonbk View Post
Except for the "finding GPS" frustration, I'd stick with Telenav.
Strange -- I've never had this problem with Telenav. It will be interesting to see if Garmin performs any better on your BB.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:33 AM   #55
sheldonbk

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
Strange -- I've never had this problem with Telenav. It will be interesting to see if Garmin performs any better on your BB.
Garmin definitely didn't fix that problem for me. I also didn't like the interface as well either. Promptly deleted it. Among other things, it can't use an address book address. More importantly, the interface just didn't feel as good.

I noticed in another post here (by JS) that it's normal for a Curve GPS to need up to 10 mins to find satellites, and that happens easier if you're not moving. For some reason, when I removed a dimension theme and another item from the java folder, it seemed to speed up my curve altogether, including the GPS.

What I still don't understand is this... it takes a bit to find a GPS when Telenav starts on a route, but once I make a "wrong" turn and it needs to find satellites and recalculate, that is MUCH faster (and always happens when I'm moving).

Sheldon
Old 07-06-2008, 12:02 PM   #56
Tazzie01

Model: 8130
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Which software package does do what I mention, anyone?
Yes, Telenav does do all this. I have used Telenav several times in the 5 months that I owned my first Blackberry. And the good part is that I don't have to buy another subscription if I decide to change to another Blackberry, or if I have a problem with my current device and have to replace it. It retrieves addresses out of phone books, and it will activate from the phone book also. So, in my opinion, Telenav is a great application/service.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:42 PM   #57
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazzie01 View Post
Yes, Telenav does do all this. I have used Telenav several times in the 5 months that I owned my first Blackberry. And the good part is that I don't have to buy another subscription if I decide to change to another Blackberry, or if I have a problem with my current device and have to replace it. It retrieves addresses out of phone books, and it will activate from the phone book also. So, in my opinion, Telenav is a great application/service.
Telnav may have won my money just by having a 30 day trial period. I just discovered I can't switch to another application while using Mapquest. It seems to look up the equivalent to ALT + Tab on my berry. I think that is a deal breaker for me. I can switch applications using Telnav but because my trial has expired I can't test this feature on Garmin.

Glad I discovered this when I did, I was just about to purchase MapQuest.
Closed Thread