BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 10:18 PM   #21
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Please Login to Remove!

Has anyone else heard anything besides brittonx?
Old 07-05-2007, 10:25 PM   #22
someonexh
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

I will believe this when I see it. I would welcome it.. but still doubt it
Old 07-05-2007, 10:28 PM   #23
brittonx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by someonexh View Post
I will believe this when I see it. I would welcome it.. but still doubt it
I am certainly quite skeptical myself.

I'll start by attempting to get the trial period extension validated Friday.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:35 PM   #24
someonexh
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittonx View Post
I am certainly quite skeptical myself.

I'll start by attempting to get the trial period extension validated Friday.
also, take names and cust service id's or #'s.. that has burned me in the past. That way when you do go to cancel, call and speak to a manager and go as high as you can and say this person said this and that and you expect verizon to stand by what they are telling you (the customer).
Old 07-05-2007, 10:43 PM   #25
brittonx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
also, take names and cust service id's or #'s.. that has burned me in the past. That way when you do go to cancel, call and speak to a manager and go as high as you can and say this person said this and that and you expect verizon to stand by what they are telling you (the customer).
That is the plan!
Old 07-05-2007, 10:45 PM   #26
someonexh
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittonx View Post
That is the plan!
Let's all hope it doesn't get that far. But if they say something (sales rep or not) they should stand by it. Verizon is responsible for what their sales rep say. (in theory... :( )
Old 07-05-2007, 11:09 PM   #27
Gained

Model: 8830
Default New user, but my GPS works tonight

Received Tuesday & put it on the work computer. I'm a novice at this BB stuff. Don't know why mine works, but maybe there's hope for the rest. I'm in Montana
Old 07-05-2007, 11:12 PM   #28
someonexh
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gained View Post
Received Tuesday & put it on the work computer. I'm a novice at this BB stuff. Don't know why mine works, but maybe there's hope for the rest. I'm in Montana
?!?! what do you mean put it on the work computer?
Old 07-05-2007, 11:31 PM   #29
Gained

Default Work computer?

Quote:
?!?! what do you mean put it on the work computer?
I did the support software installation from the LAN at work, not at home. Like I said, just beginning all this, so all the options & terminology are pretty strange to me. So far, the biggest pain & disappointment is the poor voice dialing ability, and the horrible machine voice! My very simple, 2+ yr old Samsung freebie was far more effective!
Old 07-05-2007, 11:47 PM   #30
someonexh
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gained View Post
I did the support software installation from the LAN at work, not at home. Like I said, just beginning all this, so all the options & terminology are pretty strange to me. So far, the biggest pain & disappointment is the poor voice dialing ability, and the horrible machine voice! My very simple, 2+ yr old Samsung freebie was far more effective!
What makes you think your GPS is working? (not trying to sound bossy just no other way of putting it)
Old 07-06-2007, 12:46 PM   #31
hooper610
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: VZW

The guys over at this site could probably figure out a way around Verizon disabling the GPS.

Reverse & Форсаж

Might want to try and contact them.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:17 PM   #32
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Model: 5S
PIN: & Teller
Default I Visited My Local Verizon Store Today

I was changing the texting option on one of our phones and asked what the status of turning on the GPS function on the 8830. The lady behind the counter said in a rather strange tone that Verizon is working with RIM to get the function turned on as quickly as possible. I asked if there had been a lot of unhappy customers and she said yes and some were rather nasty. So, it appears that there may be some truth to the original comment from BRITTONX. Hopefully this will be worked out soon.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:12 PM   #33
MichaelBB
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 0000
PIN: Ask
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBOLTRAM View Post
I was changing the texting option on one of our phones and asked what the status of turning on the GPS function on the 8830. The lady behind the counter said in a rather strange tone that Verizon is working with RIM to get the function turned on as quickly as possible. I asked if there had been a lot of unhappy customers and she said yes and some were rather nasty. So, it appears that there may be some truth to the original comment from BRITTONX. Hopefully this will be worked out soon.
Well DOH, of course it will as soon as VZW releases there firmware / software upgrade to allow the GPS to work with there Navigator service ONLY.

Have they in the past allowed others to share the wealth? Me personally I'm looking at an 8800 from AT&T, a 30 day trial period will tell me whether the network is worth it or NOT. I went to verizon today after work, and all the sales reps were stupid as usual , OH you mean the GPS is disabled, I didnt know that.

Have a piece of hardware / equipment / BB fully functional and NOT crippled is the first thing, a network that will support it to the best of its abilities is the next part.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:34 PM   #34
BigA
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: iphon
PIN: Prick

Hopefully with more and more phones, pda's and blackberries utilizing more data and features. Verizon will stop being a network nazi in the near future.

What is locked down, disabled or limited on the 8830 on Verizon's network.
1. (True for every device, also my number 1 issue) 5GB month cap, go over it and your account will be locked out.
2. GPS. Every other carrier with this phone has GPS enabled.
3. Audio/Video. Verizon has some how locked down to only few specific file types/codecs to play any video or audio file.

Now all is fair in making money on these services but at the same time with no options available, Verizon is making it easier and easier every day for me to make the switch to Sprint.
Nazism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 07-07-2007, 09:59 PM   #35
neil111

Hi. I'm a new member, and this is a great forum. I've been a VZW subscriber since the days of bag phones (what does that say about me <VBG>). But seriously, I'm not in a position to change networks. I want to get the 8830, as I will be travelling to Europe next month and travel to Asia periodically as well.

I am very concerned about the numerous crippling issues (e.g., GPS, video codecs, etc.) that have been mentioned. Would it be better to purchase an 8830 online that is set for another network (e.g., ATT), and then just go to VZW and have it mapped by them (and get their SIM card)? Would I need to use one of the online unlock services mentioned on this site?

Thanks for any advice!
- Neil
Old 07-07-2007, 10:08 PM   #36
dvaskelis

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile (US)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigA View Post
3. Audio/Video. Verizon has some how locked down to only few specific file types/codecs to play any video or audio file.
First I've heard of this. Can you elaborate here? I've had no issues with video or music in Media Player, but I've only tried to copy things using the Roxio Media Manager in BlackBerry Desktop.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:18 PM   #37
daltonxxv

Default Verizon GPS Capabilities

WOW - I'm not sure who brittonx spoke with at Verizon but I've now been on the phone for more than 45 minutes with a variety of their "customer service" staff. I have gotten a manager named "Lawrence" in their "blackberry escalation" department to admin that Verizon has asked RIM to block GPS capabilities on their phones AND that Verizon is supposedly working on an upgrade to VZ Navigator which will allow it to be used on ALL PDA's & Smart Phones. Of course, there will be a charge for this feature.

When I asked about the use of GPS in BBMaps and other "free" third party features, I was told they (Verizon) could put me in touch with RIM who could provide me with the "receiver" required to utilize GPS-enabled services. Of course, Verizon has no idea what RIM's hours of operation are but they were kind enough to tell me that "every time I've connected with them, they've been in Canada and that's outside the United States so I'm not sure what time zone they're in". OMG!

After only 30 minutes on hold with RIM, I'm giving up but I've been assured my account has been duly noted so, when I call Verizon tomorrow or Monday, they will know to transfer me to RIM immediately - somehow I'm not quite believing that but, we'll see.

More to come!

As for BigA's desire to switch to Sprint - just wait until you need even the smallest amount of customer service from Sprint! The only thing that could make their customer service worse is if they joined with Nextel - oh, wait!
Old 07-08-2007, 05:52 AM   #38
BigA
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: iphon
PIN: Prick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvaskelis View Post
First I've heard of this. Can you elaborate here? I've had no issues with video or music in Media Player, but I've only tried to copy things using the Roxio Media Manager in BlackBerry Desktop.
http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...-videos-3.html

Old 07-08-2007, 06:29 AM   #39
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil111 View Post
Would it be better to purchase an 8830 online that is set for another network (e.g., ATT), and then just go to VZW and have it mapped by them (and get their SIM card)? Would I need to use one of the online unlock services mentioned on this site?

Thanks for any advice!
- Neil
What you want to do is not possible.
The 8830 is not offered by any GSM carriers in the US (At&t, or T-Mobile).
It doesn't support the GSM frequencies used by those carriers.
In the US, you can only use the 8830 as a CDMA device, either with Sprint or Verizon Wireless.

The SPrint 8830 supposedly comes unlokced, so you can use a European SIM card in it when you travel overseas.
The VZW 8830 is locked and will only accept a Verizon SIM card. So far, no one has been able to unlock the VZW 8830.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:41 AM   #40
dvaskelis

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile (US)

I didn't see any messages there about Verizon locking out video content... and it certainly works fine on my Verizon BlackBerry 8830 using Roxio Media Manager and Media Player.

BTW, Media Player is *much* more stable, snappier, and responsive with the new BlackBerry OS firmware that's stickied at the top of this forum.
Closed Thread