labrickner

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: t-mobile
Default USB won't recognize the BB

Please Login to Remove!

When I connect my BB Curve to the computer, I get this message:
USA Device Not Recognized
One of the usb devices connected to this computer has malfunctioned . . . .

I tried a different computer and got the same result, so I assume it's my BB. I've removed the battery (a fairly new one) and also reinstalled my drivers on the laptop (although I guess that doesn't help if the problem is with the device).

Suggestions?
Old 11-13-2009, 01:59 PM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8820)

Is desktop manager installed and running when you connect the blackberry?
Old 11-13-2009, 02:05 PM   #3
labrickner

I've tried it both ways, either with or without DM running. And even on another computer (without DM installed) I get the same error message when I plug it in (USB Device Not Recognized).
As I recall, when I used to plug it in I would first get the message on my BB to enable Mass Storage -- but I get nothing on the device, too.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:12 PM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted (8820)

So, was it working at one time? Sounds like it. The prompt to enable mass storage mode was just that.... Mass storage was enabled and the automatic mode was set to prompt.

How about starting from scratch. Do a hard reset on the blackberry (that is pull the battery for 30 seconds). Use a computer or laptop with desktop manager installed and running. Do not use a hub; plug the usb cable into a usb port on the box or the laptop. See what happens.

And if you have a microSD card in the blackberry, remove it.

Last edited by aiharkness; 11-13-2009 at 02:13 PM..
Old 11-13-2009, 02:19 PM   #5
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

you need to shutdown the computer you are using.
unplug the power cord from the wall socket.
hold the power on button the computer.
wait for about a minute.
plug back in, boot up.

Dont ask me why or how it works,I just know that it does for that error message.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 11-13-2009, 02:26 PM   #6
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted (8820)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightdraven
you need to shutdown the computer you are using.
unplug the power cord from the wall socket.
hold the power on button the computer.
wait for about a minute.
plug back in, boot up.

Dont ask me why or how it works,I just know that it does for that error message.
Wow

Just curious. Does the error message really say USA? I thought that was a typo in the op.
Old 11-14-2009, 01:06 PM   #7
labrickner

Typo -- it says "USB device not recognized". So I did a battery pull, removed my memory card, then tried again and I get the same message.
It was working fine, although I very rarely actually connected my bb to the computer. I did replace the battery recently. I had dropped the phone and thought it wasn't working due to that, but ends up a new battery fixed it. Could the drop have messed up something else? The bb works just fine, though.
Old 11-14-2009, 01:34 PM   #8
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted (8820)

Did you try raven's suggestion above? Worth a try. I'm wondering about the fact that you have the problem on more than just the one computer. But raven's suggestion is worth a try.

Last edited by aiharkness; 11-14-2009 at 01:35 PM..
Old 11-14-2009, 02:08 PM   #9
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

(aiharkness, its Draven)

Seriously, do as I posted. It will fix it. I've had it happen to me.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 11-14-2009, 02:36 PM   #10
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted (8820)

Heh.... _it is_ .... Just another case of the brain seeing what it expects instead of what is, darn it!

If that's the fix, what are the odds of it happening with more than one computer at the same time?
Old 11-14-2009, 07:30 PM   #11
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Thats ok (not many people know of the name Draven anyway)

Its slightly unlikely, but it is the same device triggering it.
I had the same problem with a USB wireless dongle, and googled it and came across the above solution which worked. Apparently its related to power in the motherboard, (I imagine it affects older motherboards than newer) and the above solution basically drains residual energy and frees up the USB ports again to recognise devices.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:01 AM   #12
labrickner

I'm currently using a laptop, so in order to try Draven's solution, I powered it off, then pulled the laptop battery. Is that equivalent? Anyway, still not recognized. And the USB ports recognize other devices -- just not the BB.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:13 AM   #13
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

I would expect pulling the battery on the laptop for a little while is equivalent.

That puts my thinking back to problem with the usb connector on the blackberry, or the usb cable. Especially since other devices connect and operate fine.

Can you borrow another cable to try?

Another thought: Apparently there is no problem with the female usb connector on the blackberry when you use a wall charger?
Old 11-15-2009, 08:51 AM   #14
labrickner

Ira, no problem charging. I've used various connectors so that doesn't seem to be the problem. The BB charges just fine using a wall charger.
I just tried connecting it to a standalone computer, after first unplugging the standalone as suggested. Still not recognized. So the problem seems to be the bb, not the usb ports. And for giggles I just plugged it into a second standalone and got the same message -- so the BB is definitely causing it.
I'm going to try to drain the BB battery completely, then plug it in to the computer to charge and see if it recognizes it then.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:30 AM   #15
labrickner

I just did an exhaustive internet search and saw this suggestion to a similar post:
"Hi, I just saw your post. I think it is your USB port on your phone that is bad. Look inside and look at the 5 tiny pins that the USB connects to. Are they all uniformly visible. I think one of them is out of position or has disconnected from the inside. So the phone charges since the pins are connected for that part, but if does not connect to your pc since the pins used for that function are damaged."
And sure enough, when I look at my five pins, one appears to be damaged. I can't imagine that's a fixable thing for a phone that's not under warranty? So I guess a new phone is in order eventually. For now, it's not a big deal because I never need to sync unless I want to install something new.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:36 PM   #16
toryander

Carrier: tmobile
Default It was the pin in the phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by labrickner View Post
I just did an exhaustive internet search and saw this suggestion to a similar post:
"Hi, I just saw your post. I think it is your USB port on your phone that is bad. Look inside and look at the 5 tiny pins that the USB connects to. Are they all uniformly visible. I think one of them is out of position or has disconnected from the inside. So the phone charges since the pins are connected for that part, but if does not connect to your pc since the pins used for that function are damaged."
And sure enough, when I look at my five pins, one appears to be damaged. I can't imagine that's a fixable thing for a phone that's not under warranty? So I guess a new phone is in order eventually. For now, it's not a big deal because I never need to sync unless I want to install something new.
Wow, I thought I would never get to the bottom of this. After this last post I looked in my 8320 and noticed one pin slightly out of position with the others. It's too small to fit anything in to mess with it. I put the USB back in and wiggled, nothing (no response from computer). I then pulled it out slightly (1/16th of an inch, maybe less). I saw a response. I finally got it positioned just right with the slightest adjustments and the computer now sees my phones. Interesting problem. Now I will reinstall BB desktop since I know it isn't the problem. Thanks for the post, Labrickner.
Closed Thread