Old 08-27-2008, 11:20 AM   #41
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennjay View Post
I don't remember what the technology was called, but I know that there is a chip out there that will allow a company to flash it with whatever carrier info they want and allow that phone to work on any service. Maybe RIM put this chip into the Thunder, so that they could easily make that phone work with any carrier they choose.
It would still have to have the appropriate radio in the device for this to work. And if this were the case, then there wouldn't be such a long delay time between the release of GSM devices and CDMA devices as is the case now.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:43 PM   #42
matrix2004
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: 304AB5FC
Carrier: Verizon '4G COMING LATE 2009'

The rumor is the Thunder does have this chip. Its Qualcomm's GOBI chip and guess what? Today it was leaked that Verizon will have this GOBI chip integrated into laptops and the Samsung i770 will be Quadband GSM/Dual CDMA.

Not to mention WI-FI and biometric security(tbd). Wouldn't be surprised to see these features on the Thunder.

Check out Engadget Mobile's website. I can't post a link, i don't have enough posts yet.

Last edited by matrix2004; 08-27-2008 at 08:48 PM..
Old 08-27-2008, 11:20 PM   #43
Jason Mark
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9xxx
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

As I posted before, to much skepticism, there are and will be 9500's on Rogers AND AT&T. Enough said.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:48 AM   #44
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix2004 View Post
The rumor is the Thunder does have this chip. Its Qualcomm's GOBI chip and guess what? Today it was leaked that Verizon will have this GOBI chip integrated into laptops and the Samsung i770 will be Quadband GSM/Dual CDMA.

Not to mention WI-FI and biometric security(tbd). Wouldn't be surprised to see these features on the Thunder.

Check out Engadget Mobile's website. I can't post a link, i don't have enough posts yet.
Well if that correct then it should pretty much end the year wait between GSM and CDMA BB releases. You can just build one model with this chip for both markets.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:21 PM   #45
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonHDD View Post
As I posted before, to much skepticism, there are and will be 9500's on Rogers AND AT&T. Enough said.
And I say there aint enough said. See that works both ways.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:54 PM   #46
Ennjay
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix2004 View Post

GOBI...that's it! Thanks Matrix, I knew I wasn't crazy.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:56 AM   #47
Lord Chrispin
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8530
PIN: EALECTOMY
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Why is rim ruining the thunder by only launching on verizon? That a little un-fair in my opinion..............why would rim ruin the pearl by launching it only on T-mobile and why would rim ruin the curve by launching it on on at&t.......Everybody gets there shot at getting fun toys first and up till now verizon has always been last when it comes it getting the really kick a$$ blackberrys.......granted verizon gets the better of the models but still they were one of the last "major carriers" to get them in the us.......this is just verizon's chance.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:27 PM   #48
iphonelife

Model: pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by robl45 View Post
I guess they just want to sell bolds mainly. I would love a thunder, but I'm on ATT and being down south, att makes sense for the calling plans they have. Doesn't make sense to release an IPHONE competitor and put it on a different network.
Putting this phone on ATT is like putting a ferrari engine in a honda Del Soul...

Its pointless becasue ATT's service bites cow wang!
Old 09-08-2008, 08:49 PM   #49
cblackberrynyc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
Carrier: at&t your world. Delivered.

RIM isn't ruining the thunder by it's rumored US launch only on Verizon/Voda. Just like Apple didn't ruin the iPhone by 1st only launching it on ATT. For consumers who'd rather have unlocked, unbranded hardware these exclusive deals suck, for device manufactures these exclusive deals suck. However remember that both Verizon and ATT are equals, they both have the same strengths and the same problems. For the consumer they both should be getting the new unlocked, unbranded, uncrippled devices.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:44 AM   #50
Lord Chrispin

Model: 8530
PIN: EALECTOMY
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Equals? I do say you have a point.......they both rule there worlds. Verizon=CDMA AT&T=GSM

Old 09-15-2008, 10:09 PM   #51
Dawgfan

Model: 9000
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
They have not disabled anything you can still use it you just have to pay for it. And its only GPS
They did disable it. It works just fine on my ATT 8820 and only doesn't work because VZN DID deactivate it.

With all due respect I would think someone paid for the GPS in their phone when they paid for their phone. My wife has an 88xx with VZN and I have a 88xx with ATT (and iPhone) and I can use my GPS with Google Maps for free yet she cannot with her VZN phone. That is jacked.

VZN sold her a phone with specifications per the RIM website and CHOSE to deactivate it unless she give them additional $$ on top of the $$ she gave them for the phone.

Jacked is what that is.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:37 AM   #52
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T, VZW

I say good for Verizon! This should be a sign of things to come, and only the beginning of RIM branching out. This phone was most likely built for the Verizon network, and them only. Just like the Bold was for at&t. From the looks of things, RIM is pissed at at&t for putting the Bold on such a back burner, especially when they had no plans of building a 3G BB to run on the GSM network. And when they did, at&t kicked em in the nuts and still haven't released it, while the rest of the world has.

Well Karma is grand, because now we'll see just how this stacks up against the iphone. If the build quality is there, and the virtual keyboard is very usable, at&t is going to have a problem. I use both networks (at&t & Verizon) and have to say that in the past at&t has held it's own with dependability against Verizon.

Not the case these days, while Verizon continues to just simply work great, at&t's network has slipped. 3G is a disaster right now! And because of an overload of iphone devices bouncing back and fourth on 3G and Edge, I believe it's affecting the whole network. Verizon might have a real winner on it's hands, and if RIM really did it's homework this time, everyone else will just have to deal with being out of the spot lite for a while! You listening at&t??
Old 09-16-2008, 08:28 AM   #53
complexx

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgfan View Post
They did disable it. It works just fine on my ATT 8820 and only doesn't work because VZN DID deactivate it.

With all due respect I would think someone paid for the GPS in their phone when they paid for their phone. My wife has an 88xx with VZN and I have a 88xx with ATT (and iPhone) and I can use my GPS with Google Maps for free yet she cannot with her VZN phone. That is jacked.

VZN sold her a phone with specifications per the RIM website and CHOSE to deactivate it unless she give them additional $$ on top of the $$ she gave them for the phone.

Jacked is what that is.
It's definately a cheap move to disable built-in functionality and to advertise it as if there's no added fee. However, for those of us that use Verizon, most likely chose it for the network and reliability. Verizon has a history of being on the tail-end of phone technology and MOST people know that. By now, most people should know when you walk into a verizon store, it's not to purchase the best phones, it's to purchase use of the best overall coverage in the US.

To be completely honest, I never had a need for GPS built into my phone, so if it is worth 10 bucks a month for verizon to enable it, I'm glad I don't have to pay for it if I don't need it. It's a two way street.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:45 AM   #54
Dawgfan

Carrier: Cingular

[QUOTE=complexx;1102274]
By now, most people should know when you walk into a verizon store, it's not to purchase the best phones, it's to purchase use of the best overall coverage in the US.QUOTE]

Is that really a fair way to view consumers? So if I buy a Lexus because of the quality and reliability I should be OK with an auxillary port (that I could use for my iPod) that doesn't work. It's there and it's part of the specs but it's allgood cause the car is such high quality.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:57 PM   #55
wayneholbrook

PIN: 20D214AB

does vonafone and at&t use the same 3g freq?
Old 09-17-2008, 04:23 PM   #56
dirkdigital

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

As far as I'm concerned, I say keep it exclusive. Verizon gets cheated out of all the best phones. I think Verizon deserves something to call it's own.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:58 PM   #57
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkdigital View Post
As far as I'm concerned, I say keep it exclusive. Verizon gets cheated out of all the best phones. I think Verizon deserves something to call it's own.
Cheated? They could of had the hottest selling phone on the planet, the iphone, but they turned it down.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:53 PM   #58
holden
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: TOFJAGER
Carrier: Cingular-AT&T-Verizon-Nextel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Curve 4.6.0.62)

I think Jason is relying to heavly on BS.
Here's your sign, err bag... (just kidding)
Old 09-17-2008, 07:27 PM   #59
angelbear1973
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: vzw

lol I like that
Old 09-18-2008, 09:40 AM   #60
complexx

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

[QUOTE=Dawgfan;1102501]
Quote:
Originally Posted by complexx View Post
By now, most people should know when you walk into a verizon store, it's not to purchase the best phones, it's to purchase use of the best overall coverage in the US.QUOTE]

Is that really a fair way to view consumers? So if I buy a Lexus because of the quality and reliability I should be OK with an auxillary port (that I could use for my iPod) that doesn't work. It's there and it's part of the specs but it's allgood cause the car is such high quality.
I would think by now, someone purchasing a BB, probably has had experience with cellular phones and service prior, and should know a little bit about the providers.

Are you telling me that Lexus sells a car with an AUX port that isn't connected to anything?

GPS works, if you purchase the service. Simple as that. They aren't selling broken phones and requiring you to fix them in order to play with GPS. What I was saying was, if you've done your research before purchasing a service, you'd know Verizon offers the best coverage, but the sacrifice is you don't get the newest technology.

I'm a consumer, I research most of my purchases PRIOR to purchasing the items so I know what to expect from the product. In almost all cases, I know more about the product than the salesmen. I do feel badly for those that buy phones from VZW expecting to have GPS already enabled. It's a shame that Verizon advertises GPS as a feature when it's really a service.

Car manufacturers do the same thing with satellite radio. When you buy your Lexus, they advertise it as having satellite radio.

Last edited by complexx; 09-18-2008 at 09:45 AM..
Closed Thread