BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 07:58 AM   #1
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS
Default No more dirt bikes for children.

Please Login to Remove!

Children Dirt Bike Ban - Billings- msnbc.com

Government involment is getting out of hand. They keep cutting out outdoor activitys for children and wonder why child obesity is going up.

You wanted change well its coming.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:19 AM   #2
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

Yeah blame the government for childhood obesity, pass the buck.

These are the mini bikes / atv that were imported with lead paint, and since they are marketed to kids they get banned. If prohibits them from being sold.
Its not banning kids from riding, just cannot buy the lead painted bikes.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:49 AM   #3
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by test54 View Post
Yeah blame the government for childhood obesity, pass the buck.

These are the mini bikes / atv that were imported with lead paint, and since they are marketed to kids they get banned. If prohibits them from being sold.
Its not banning kids from riding, just cannot buy the lead painted bikes.
You need to read closer it bans all motor bikes made for kids. Thats parts and accessories.

And yes I will blame it on the government since its banning all these outdoor activitys for kids. They have closed all the skate parks here all the bike trails all gov ran and now out of business.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:54 AM   #4
test54
BlackBerry Master

The bikes that contain lead are banned, no issue there. So they will have to make them without lead.
I agree that the ban seems crazy but I do think you should try to eliminate lead in the products over time.
Its just on new sales as well, you make it sound like they are rounding up all bikes form people and destroying them or that the activity is banned.

What outdoor activities are the government banning? Are they forcing parents to let there kids sit inside and be lazy? Lazy kids are that way for a reason, the government is not doing anything to make kids more obese.

The Free Market does that just fine with marketing fatty / sugary food to kids.

Last edited by test54; 02-19-2009 at 10:04 AM..
Old 02-19-2009, 10:22 AM   #5
muskiemania
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: tmo

how much exercise is riding a fuel-efficient dirt bike anyway?

increased child obesity was happening long before this measure was enacted. I agree with test - that problem lies more squarely on the parents and kids themselves. I don't disagree that the govermnent could be more helpful with the parks and such, but since when do you need a city park or trail to run around outside? Seems to me that obesity is a trickle-down kind of problem. obese children become obese parents who don't make it enough of a priority for their kids to not follow suit.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:15 AM   #6
turn_key
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330m
PIN: G PAL4 Putter
Carrier: Sprint

"Kids aren't down there trying to lick these things, bite them, or chew them, there motorcycles,"

That's true... I never licked any motorcycle I've ever ridden... lol
Old 02-19-2009, 11:41 AM   #7
dmead
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: EVO
PIN: the tail on the donkey!

the only time i have ever licked a motorbike was when i hit a jump the wrong way and did a face plant into it. i had on one of those old school helmets that just cover the head and ears. i pretty much gave up on dirt bikes after that.

on topic: If it only applies to lead based products im not going to raise a big stink. If they want to ban dirt bikes for kids as a whole i don't think they are going to get very far with that.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:46 AM   #8
test54
BlackBerry Master

From what i read it only affects those bikes that have lead in them. Now that covers almost all of them because they tend to have lead in the paint, frames and parts at this point. The reason is apparently its cheaper to make the frame and parts out of steel that contains a small amount of lead. to me its an over reaction but they will make the non-lead ones and move on.

one articles said that regular adult bikes are made with the same amount of lead in them but since these are banned because they are marketed to kids.

Last edited by test54; 02-19-2009 at 11:47 AM..
Old 02-19-2009, 12:20 PM   #9
dmead
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: EVO
PIN: the tail on the donkey!

marketing dirt bikes to kids is pretty tuff. it isn't like the kid can just walk out the door and peddle over to the shop and trade in his schwinn for a KTM. the parents have to be involved in some form for a purchase of that magnitude. this is just stupid horse crap some congressperson is coming up with to show he/she is doing something.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:33 PM   #10
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmead View Post
the only time i have ever licked a motorbike was when i hit a jump the wrong way and did a face plant into it. i had on one of those old school helmets that just cover the head and ears. i pretty much gave up on dirt bikes after that.

on topic: If it only applies to lead based products im not going to raise a big stink. If they want to ban dirt bikes for kids as a whole i don't think they are going to get very far with that.
Ive called six different bike shops in Atlanta they have all removed their 80s and down from the floor 3 honda 1 suzuki 1 yamaha you cant but them or parts for them.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:34 PM   #11
test54
BlackBerry Master

Quote:
marketing dirt bikes to kids is pretty tuff. it isn't like the kid can just walk out the door and peddle over to the shop and trade in his schwinn for a KTM. the parents have to be involved in some form for a purchase of that magnitude. this is just stupid horse crap some congressperson is coming up with to show he/she is doing something.
yeah, its a cheap way to get in the headlines, they say its a response to the Chinese tainted imports last year.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:34 PM   #12
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
this is just stupid horse crap some congressperson is coming up with to show he/she is doing something.

but it just goes to show what kind of crap can and will be done
Closed Thread