BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 03:27 PM   #1
Bozo2007
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Bell
Default I'm about to take the plunge 8830 to the storm.

Please Login to Remove!

Should i do it? What are the pros and cons of the storm. I dont have a camera with my 8830 and I want the big screen for videos. Also how is the bluetooth and gps?

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-09-2009, 03:38 PM   #2
clubchucker
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon

I'm sure you already know this, but if 50 people respond to this question...you'll have 50 different opinions. I guess myself, I'm somewhere between "fanboy" and "hater".

The OS is getting better (in my opinion) with each leaked version. Right now I'm running the .99 beta. Much better than the .90.

As for the pros: the screen is awesome. Great size and clarity. The call quality is also very good. Since you said you'd be interested in the video/camera aspect of it...well, I don't do any video so that I can't help you with. Camera: a lot of people are much heavier camera users than myself, but I haven't had any issues with it. The few pictures I've taken with it have turned out great. Some have said there's camera bugs or issues but I also think those have gotten better with the new OS upgrades.

Cons: if you're a heavy text/email user...I'd really, really think about it. Personally, this is the biggest downfall to me: I can't type worth a crap on it. I seem to spend more time fixing my mistakes than anything. It's just not as comfortable to me (again..personally) than having actual buttons. I came from a Pearl and there's no way I can even remotely type on this thing as fast as I could my Pearl. I've tried all different settings and maybe I'm a fat finger guy...don't know. I don't blame RIM or anyone else; it's a touch screen. Some people can do it, I hate it. It's not a RIM issue; I feel the same way about the iPhone (friend has one and I can't type worth a crap on it either).

Myself, like I said I don't think I'm a hater, but I'm definitely no fanboy either. It's decent for me, but I can already tell as soon as the 8930 comes to Verizon, my Storm is gone. But everyone is different.....

Good luck with whatever you end up with.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:38 PM   #3
dmarks83
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9500
Carrier: Vodafone

Get on board mate... its the future... its like when somebody said i know lets put GARLIC.... ON BREAD!!! (that guy is a legend by the way)

My Pros
  • Awesome screen quality
  • Call sound quality is excellent
  • As is speaker phone quality
  • Updates are coming thick and fast (granted leaked but still updates)
  • Applications getting better and better
  • Nice feel to the touch mechanism
  • The storm community is growing and enables new friendships through forums like this one
  • Its a Blackberry Touch Screen!!!!!

Cons

I don't really have any problems with the storm just little niggles that im sure will be ironed out with updates
Old 02-09-2009, 04:04 PM   #4
faithofgod

I had an 8830, and the leaked OS for it really made it a better BB. With that being said I love my new Storm. I have had it for 2 days now and read all the complaints, tweaks, and tips before buying it. The first day was ROUGH, but I am already 200% faster and more accurate on day two and can see that probably after a short learning curve it will be second nature like the 8830 was for me. I would venture to say that a lot of the complaints relate to older versions of the OS and also to Storm's that are not setup right. Properly setup, this phone is amazing. Out of the box, like the demo models, it can be buggy and a pain.

Ryan
Old 02-09-2009, 04:34 PM   #5
Offdahiizzy

Model: 9530

I saw the headline of the Thread and was all ready to blast this thing. But after reading the first response, my anger was assuaged. However, I must still say that this has been the most UNSTABLE electronic equipment I've ever used. I'm using version .86 and at least 3x per day, I have to do a battery pull. This Phone (software) is more unstable than the isotopes of the Periodic Table. IT refused to get it for the Upper Management in fear that they will literally throw it against the wall. Typing email/Txt etc is almost pointless. Forget about text editing...

Ok, It looks cool as hell. It's a touch screen. And the video play-back is nice. But then again, that's not a feet that one should marvel at-seeing how a myriad of touch-screen phones out there is comparable. I think they should have just done away with the "click" bull crap. More than likely you'll get one, so welcome to the Storm era.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:13 PM   #6
michael12005
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Tour

The Storm is garbage and the biggest problem is the morons who run Verizon have the nerve to charge a restocking fee if you don't lke the phone!
Old 02-09-2009, 08:45 PM   #7
Frank Castle
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9930
PIN: PM Me!
Carrier: VZW

I don't know if the Storm is the most unstable device ever released. I think those early WM Treo's were pretty awful with constant lock ups.

The biggest thing is the initial OS was just bad. It wasn't even Beta .. more like Alpha. .99 is pretty solid and after the tweaks it's pretty darn close to having that Blackberry feel.

Now I email/txt ALOT, I support email and BES for a living so I average over 200 emails / txt a day easily. I was fast on the Curve so going cold turkey to a touch screen was rough. I needed a good week to get used to how you interact with it. But once you adjust and forget how a keypad based Blackberry functions (my co-worker calls it the Storm-Force) you will just "get it".

I'm not saying it's perfect, I'm still only 75% as fast as I was on a keypad BB. It's not easy to make edits mid sentence, the phone is still a little flacky and it's still prone to random reboots.

All that being said - It is hard to go back to a smaller screen and I often try and touch the Bold screen when I have to set one up. I don't use the media functions miuch but co-worker is always dumping the latest scene DVDrip onto it and it looks fantastic.

What's even nicer is some of the classic Blackberry apps are getting re-worked for Storm and new ones keep coming out so all in all it's a good choice if you can adjust.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:22 PM   #8
Josh O

I'm thinking of going from 8830 to Storm myself. I've had the case of the flaky's with my 8830, lockups, random reboots, having to pull battery, etc. Hopefully if I go Storm, I get a reliable one and not one like some people I've read here who have gone through multiple replacements.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:26 PM   #9
lindros2
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW/O2 (Intl)

try it yourself - personal opinion.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:35 AM   #10
Bozo2007
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Bell

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I had a storm in my hands last night and walked out with out buying it.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:18 AM   #11
Cowboyz

I have had mine since late November and have had ZERO problems with the OS, apps, etc. I encountered dust buildup after a couple of months but that is all. I think the problem lies with the inconsistency in the production of these phones so its a crapshoot if you get one of the better ones. If not, you struggle with the phone and therefore do not like it compared to the 8830 or whatever phone you used previosuly. I absolutely love mine!!
Closed Thread