Roll
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Try a different theme....I've had an issue with Pearl on OS 4.5 not being recognized by DM. Switching themes fixed the issue.
I will, thanks.

New day.... personal batteries recharged (somewhat) overnight.

Time to get back into this.

Gary
Old 06-03-2008, 08:21 AM   #62
Roll
Thumbs Must Hurt

No joy yet but I have an idea.

First I downloaded the Verizon OS using my BB phone number. I had been using a generic phone number and remembering how Verizon can be, thought perhaps DTMgr with the OS loaded was rejecting my device because the phone numbers didn’t match.

Still, once the OS was loaded, DTMgr couldn't communicate via usb or in any way, with my device. So I copied the RIM folder in Common Files to my desktop and uninstalled the OS and DTMgr, (once comms go down, uninstalling just the OS doesn't restore comms).

I plan to reinstall DTMgr and then check the versions of the USB drivers to compare them to the usb drivers after the OS install.

Two things to try. Move the loader files into the DTMgr set up to see if that works and if not, reinstall the OS but swap out the USB drivers for the ones I know work when the OS is not installed.

Any other thoughts about things to try?

Should the BB be attached to the PC when I install DTMgr, the OS or both?

Gary
Old 06-03-2008, 02:17 PM   #63
Roll
Thumbs Must Hurt

About to give up.

Fresh install of most current version of DTMgr.
Canxxx8217;t load apps

Deleted loader and pasted loader from OS load (updated)
Canxxx8217;t load apps

Deleted vendor file and pasted vendor from OS load
Canxxx8217;t load apps

Installed OS
Canxxx8217;t load apps

Deleted loader and pasted loaded from DTMgr before OS load.
Canxxx8217;t load apps

Pasted vendor from DTMgr before OS load.
Canxxx8217;t load apps

Ixxx8217;m running out of ideas, energy and drive.

Gary

I never had such trouble or frustration with Win Mobile. This is something that should not be so difficult. It's a major flaw in programming.

Do the RIM folks read these forums?

Last edited by Roll; 06-03-2008 at 02:20 PM.. Reason: To rant
Old 06-03-2008, 02:57 PM   #64
Roll
Thumbs Must Hurt

Talked to Verizon. They want to see the phone and so would like to send a new one out so I can return this one. Since I was considering wiping the phone and starting over as a last option to fix this, replacing it is okay by me.

That makes a lot of set up work to do but...... having done it once it does go quicker the second time around.

I'm not convinced it's a hardware problem but I'll give the new phone a good old fashioned try.

Gary
Old 06-03-2008, 04:25 PM   #65
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

The vendor file has nothing to do with this problem. If you're using a Verizon released OS then you don't have to delete the vendor file. If it's another carriers version of the OS then the vendor.xml file must be deleted.

Again, there are two problems here.

Problem #1: You can't load apps without your OS being installed to the PC in addition to Desktop Manager.

Solution: Install matching OS to PC.

Problem #2: Desktkop Manager won't recognize the BB with the OS installed.

Solution: Unknown. I don't know why this is happening. I'd say there is something wrong with the driver after installing the OS. What OS are you installing? I know it's version 4.3.0.127 but where are you getting it from? Is it Verizon branded? If so, try a Sprint brand OS (or vice versa.) It's possible that it's something totally different. I really don't know how else to help.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:34 PM   #66
Gix1k
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Pearl
Carrier: T-Mobile

I got so pissed at the device I returned it....for this error.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:37 PM   #67
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Personally, I think it's a bug in the .127 OS.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:46 PM   #68
Gix1k
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Pearl
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Personally, I think it's a bug in the .127 OS.
There is no other explanation....seriously. Since back to the Pearl....I really miss my Curve and wondering if I should have done more to make it work...even though I had done all short of format c: /s.....Sheesh!!!! I am considering buying another one tomorrow, since more research on the Bold gives me no clear date as to when i can have it.

BTW....Can you or someone "sticky" this thread...because once an actual fix is discovered, I think it will be clearly discussed in here.

Last edited by Gix1k; 06-03-2008 at 07:49 PM..
Old 06-03-2008, 08:22 PM   #69
Roll
Thumbs Must Hurt

I do appreciate everyones help, including John who continued to follow this thread.

There is one quirk that is bothering me. I downloaded DTMgr from somewhere other than Verizon's site. When I did decide to DL from Verizon, I didn't use my actual cell number, (you have to enter your cell number to get the download). Later I did download under my number but haven't used that one yet.

The download for the OS was the same, at first I didn't use my number, then I DLed again using my number.

I never did use the downloaded DTMgr and OS together, (both taken with my number). It might be nothing....or it might be that Verizons version of these files includes a reference to the phone number and it must match. I don't know but Verizon does tend to do things like this.

Anyway once I have the new phone, I'll follow the process and post what happens. May help someone else down the road.

Gary
Old 06-03-2008, 10:29 PM   #70
John Clark
BBF Moderator

I doubt that's the issue. Something is wrong in the install or in the OS itself. The fact that it's recognized before the OS install and not after the OS install is a sign that something is very wrong. The 4.3.0 OS's, IMO, are very buggy. The 8330 OS seems to be at the top of the list.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:02 PM   #71
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Roll,
I just thought of something. Have you tried a different version of the OS? When you have DM working and connecting to your BB, try installing this OS (delete vendor.xml after installing) and see if your BB will be recognized by DM.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...-mobility.html
Old 06-06-2008, 05:30 PM   #72
Dawg
No longer Registered.

PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Ok I had this same issue here is what i did to resolve it.

1. Plug up BB
2. Start DM if it doesnt recognize it leave lugged in and pull battery it should immedialty recognize it.

It has worked perfectly ever since. Let me know if that gets it Roll

This is per Johns Request
Old 06-07-2008, 09:08 AM   #73
Roll
Thumbs Must Hurt

Have to admit...did not try that.

However, problem is now seemingly solved, at least for the moment.

Verizon sent me a new 8330 which I have loaded my "stuff" onto. Via "load apps" by the way. This will be my third in three weeks. Latch broke on the first one, and the loading problem popped up on the second. Third times the charm, I hope.

I have successfully installed 4 new applications without difficulty. I do notice the Loader is a different version. V 4.3.0.18

I think my last installation was version 13 that was updated to 17. Perhaps the tweaked version fixed a bug. The bad news is that I still can't load the weather program but since I can load other things... I have to believe that's a vendor software problem not a BB problem.

Gary
Old 06-07-2008, 09:12 AM   #74
Dawg
No longer Registered.

PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

awesome thats great news Gary. I stumbled across this fix by accidenbt while trying everything I knew before posting
Old 06-07-2008, 03:31 PM   #75
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Gary, please post your fix and how you got the newer loader version etc., so the next person searching can benefit.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:14 PM   #76
Roll
Thumbs Must Hurt

Regarding the "fix" as John calls it, I can only say this....

With a brand new Curve 8330 from Verizon, I downloaded and installed the VERIZON version of DTMgr (4.3.0.17; check the Loader for version 4.3.0.18) and the OS from VERIZON, version 4.3.0.127. I installed both before connecting my new curve then once connected, I "installed" my app backup from the device that was giving me so much trouble and did a restore on my calendar, contacts, settings, etc in two separate operations.

Device works just fine; problem gone as far as I can tell. Was also able to load some 3rd party apps, which I could not do before.

I can't say if software obtained else ware bearing the same version numbers would work properly. Logic dictates it would, but Verizon does some odd things and I had a very difficult time until this fix.

Gary
Closed Thread