BlackBerry Forums Support Community

View Poll Results: Have you successfully upgraded to OS 4.5 on your device?
Yes. No trouble. No bugs. 5 50.00%
Yes. Difficult, but no bugs. 1 10.00%
Yes. But has bugs. 2 20.00%
No. 2 20.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 12:56 AM   #1
nwinesett

Model: 8100C
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Upgrade Info: Pearl ATT; OS4.2 to OS4.5

Please Login to Remove!

My experience upgrading from BB OS 4.2 to Desktop Manager 4.6 and BB OS 4.5 for BB Pearl 8100C by AT&T

Desktop: MS Vista

First, the new OS 4.5 is much better. Better aesthetics throughout, html email, better calendar colors (and although still know categories and filtering of categores, I was able to get a separate calendar for every email address that display in different colors and can be selectively hidden), and more contact fields. The problem is that some cellular vendors are still stuck on OS 4.2 and don't seem in any hurry to post an upgrade. Fortunately, you can use other OS 4.5 upgrades not specifically designated by your vendor. Read on.

First thing I did was goto the BB download site and download all the latest stuff specifically for my ATT Pearl (at the time of writing Desktop 4.6 and some version of OS 4.2). Then I tried to use the upgrade link from the blackberry.com homepage. However, after it installed it said I was running latest software. At the time, I did not know that you were supposed to remove the vendor.xml file in order to get around the vendor limitation (see below), but perhaps I could have done it here and restarted Desktop Manager.

Instead, I read this article which explained most of the basics to me:
www-blackberrycool.com/2008/08/how-to-upgrade-your-blackberry-software/

This article has download links and an explanation on deleting you vendor.xml file from this folder, which is necessary to install an OS that has not been pre-approved by your vendor (i.e. AT&T):
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader

I did a lot of reading and tried a bunch a things unsuccessfully and was about to give up. But then I rechecked this folder and the vendor.xml file was there again. Somehow, it got reinstalled so I removed it to another folder again. Then I started Desktop Manager and Voila!, a message popped up to upgrade my device. I opened up the Details or Options button to look through additional software. I was able to select Maps and other stuff that wasn't selected by default. Do a search for the application listed to see if it's something you may want. I think one of the techie sounding ones enabled me to use multiple calendars.

When it updated, it backed up and deleted the whole device. It took a long time to finish as the device bogged down. I now believe this was tracked to the micro memory card. As such, I recommend removing it before doing the install. After the upgrade, my device was painfully slow and would keep rebooting continuously. This stopped after removing the memory card. I believe this is due to the memory card scanning problem explained here:
www-blackberryforums.com/media-center/140457-fix-media-player-not-scanning-music-stuck-scan-constant-reboots.html

In other posts, it has been suggested you just need to delete BBthumbs.dat, but I have not done this yet and am not using the memory card yet. But anyway, it seems clear (since my device is now working) that I can use a card reader to get my pictures, etc. off of it, then format it, and start fresh (or buy a new card).

Then, I restored my data to the device, which was saved here:
Blackberry Application data saved at C:\Users\XXXXYourNameXXXX\Documents\LoaderBackup-(XXXDateofBackupXXX).ipd

Use Desktop Manager Backup/Restore tool to restore the information.

Then I went through personal email setup again and resent the service books. This is necessary to get html working. See this site for information (Doc ID KB15254 on Blackberry.com support):
www-blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB15 254&sliceId=SAL_Public&dialogID=91323448&stateId=0 %200%2091325096

Thanks to all who posted to help me. This is my part to help others. Good Luck!

(Sorry about links. Not allowed to put in real links yet on this site since I'm new. Just copy in browser and replace www- with www(dot))

Best regards,
Nathan
Old 11-08-2008, 05:03 AM   #2
nwinesett

Default Update on Media Card Issue

Regarding the Media Card Issue:

It definitely was a memory card issue, because I bogged down again when I reinserted it. I didn't have a card reader that would fit as explained in the link from the original post. I could not access my media card from my Blackberry to delete BBthumbs.dat. However, I was able to access the media card from the Desktop Manager, but it didn't show any system files.

The media card was accessible through Windows Explorer as a removable disk. I clicked on Organize and Folder Options and marked show hidden files. I removed all the files on the card and placed them on my desktop. Then I disconnected the unit, went to Options\Media Card\Format Card on the BB.

Then I tested it out, and it was fixed. Very spry now, so I actually think the formatting of the media card is what is necessary. I noticed that the BB had already recreated the Pictures, Music, etc. folders on the memory card.

Then I plugged the unit back in, opened up the media manager, and placed the individual pictures back in the pictures folder, music in music folder, and so forth. Upon advice of the linked article, I left out all system files (i.e. any BBthumbs.dat files and info.mkf, as these apparently are regenerated.

Everything is now working perfectly, so I guess this issue is solved.

Now, I just have to figure out a way to sync multiple calendars with various external calendars (I guess you can only do one at a time by setting the Options\Advanced Options\Default Services setting every time) and then figure out a way to organize emails into email folders (apparently you can't unless you have BES). But this is probably another topic.

Best regards,
Nathan
Old 11-08-2008, 10:19 PM   #3
nwinesett

Lightbulb Resolved; media card issue - corrupt picture files; ringtone needs info.mkf

The problem with the media card was not quite resolved. After I installed the pictures and ringtone back to the memory card, it ended up bogging down again where I got a constant spining hourglass and continuous restarting. So I removed all the files again and reformatted the card. The BB worked again.

Then, in order to determine whether it was the old files or a separate memory card issue, I took a new picture and stored it on the memory card. I was able to access it and the BB worked fine. I reviewed all the old pictures on my computer and noticed that two of the jpeg pictures would not open on my computer. I thought these two pictures were suspicious. It happened that these two pictures were ones that I downloaded from my son's hockey website on the BB Browser. Perhaps it was something about their formatting or they were corrupt.

To test, I put the old ringtone back on the memory card. The BB still worked fine. Then, I put one of the "non-suspicious" pictures on the memory card. The BB still worked fine. Then, I put one of the "suspicious" files back on the memory card. Bingo, the bogging down problem occurred almost immediately. So, I removed the "suspicious" file and put all the other "non-suspicious" pictures back on the memory card. I did not remove the BBthumbs.dat file this time. The BB is now working fine.

Conclusion: I believe the BBthumbs.dat and other system files were not the cause of the problem. Rather, it was these two "suspicious" picture files that would not open up on my computer (they would open on my BB) and were downloaded from the web on the BB Browser. So, if you are having problems with this issue, check your pictures files and perhaps that is the cause.

So, now everything works except that my ringtone on the memory card does not work when I set it in phone options. The ringtone is a .mp3.rem file. Researching issues regarding .rem files, I figured out that I need that original System\info.mkf file back into the system folder of the memory card. Apparently .rem files need information that is stored in that file. I put that file back and the ringtone now works. As such, I suggest not removing this info.mkf file contrary to what I and others have said before (unless of course nothing else works).

There it is. Although it took me a couple days to gather all the information and troubleshooting, I now have upgraded my AT&T BB Pearl from OS 4.2 to OS 4.5 with the hacks described fully above. Everything works perfectly. The html email is great and the multiple calendars is great. I also love the extra fields in the address book. I also think the device runs quite a bit faster. It was well worth it. I've tried to put all the information here in one place so others can do it faster. Best of luck, and I believe this thread is resolved!

Best regards,
Nathan
Closed Thread