BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 03:49 AM   #61
madlib
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

ok just to clear this up RED= BAD WHITE= GOOD ??
Old 02-29-2008, 06:24 AM   #62
kings0r
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8120
PIN: N/A
Carrier: O2 Germany

Yes.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:30 PM   #63
Grant H

Model: 8130
PIN: 317AF13F
Carrier: Verizon

"There is a water damage sticker also on the battery."

The Verizon 8130 DOES NOT HAVE A WATER INDICATOR ON THE BATTERY. It does however have a sticker that looks like one, that possibly some dummy at the repair shot could take to be one.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:55 PM   #64
mizditz101
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: iPhne
Carrier: AT&T

I should have stated that better. on non-smartphones the dot on the battery is a water indicator. I've never had anything more hightech than a razr with verizon. But I've had just about all their flip phones they've come out with over the last 4 years :P
Old 04-16-2008, 10:01 PM   #65
connermj

Model: 8100
Carrier: t-mobile
Default water damage pearl 8100

My daughter accidently dropped her pearl in a catch-basin full of water for over 10 minutes with it on, took it apart that night to dry out and the next day it was working. how long does anyone think it will last before it finally dies?
Old 04-17-2008, 08:21 PM   #66
Eyetattoo
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

Not sure if anyone mentioned this but one of my 8100s got slobber on it (from my 1 yr old) and stopped working.......I switched out batteries and wallah it works just fine.......$6 dollars later spent on ebay I have a new battery and all is well.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:26 PM   #67
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by connermj View Post
My daughter accidently dropped her pearl in a catch-basin full of water for over 10 minutes with it on, took it apart that night to dry out and the next day it was working. how long does anyone think it will last before it finally dies?
She didn't dry it long enough, normally 4 to 5 days in a warm place if it happened a while ago it may live to full life expectancy!

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs

Last edited by Thatzmister2u; 04-17-2008 at 08:27 PM..
Old 04-17-2008, 10:48 PM   #68
Cotten516

Carrier: Sprint
Default Set the record straight..............

A couple rain drops CAN ruin a phone and DOES void the warrenty. I have worked in the wireless telecom industry for 10 years and have literally seen thousands of wet phones. Sometimes it is very apparent that they have been wet(indicator tripped), sometimes you have to take the phone apart and look for rust. A phone is powered with ELECTRICITY!!!! Yes, one drop of water can ruin the whole thing. Manufacturers started putting liquid indicators in phones to protect themselves. After all, why should they take a financial hit because you decided to talk on you phone in the rain. There is no blueprint for how water effects a phone. One drop could kill it or drop it in the toilet and it could work fine if it is allowed to dry out. I am overprotective of my phone because I understand that liquid and electronics don't mix, and because I see it as an investment. Please stop all of the "you should be able to use your phone in the rain" talk. It makes you look like one of those people who are never at fault for anything and only blame other people for their problems.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:48 PM   #69
br1n

I had the same dilemma when I brought my phone into the carrier store. They looked immediately at the indicator on the battery and told me that the phone was water damaged. I told them they were crazy, since I was sure that the phone had never even been near water. Then, they proceeded to tell me that anything from bringing the phone with you into the bathroom during a shower to - get this, "putting the phone in your pocket and sweating" can set off the indicators. I told them that it is ridiculous that they were telling me I voided my warranty for putting my phone in my pocket.

Long story short, they did some further investigating and found another indicator that was white on the phone itself, and finally obliged.

This happened to me earlier this week, and regardless whether or not those X's on the battery are water indicators, those people told me that they, in fact, were.

Last edited by br1n; 04-21-2008 at 09:50 PM..
Old 04-21-2008, 11:04 PM   #70
ERDude
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathusulah View Post
Hi All

This is just a query - or a warning.

I have a Pearl 8100 - or did till this morning - the keypad died, and I couldn't get it working so took it back to the shop - the assistant immediately informed me it was water damaged, because the indicator on the battery (next to the three copper connections) showed that the phone had been damaged by water.

dave
I just received my Pearl on the 16th upon opening the box and inserting the battery I noticed the red line across the battery. I immediately called Sprint, I was told that the red stripe across the battery does not indicate water damage, the only water damage indicator is located inside the phone not on the battery.

You might try fighting this, ask them to show you the internal water damage indicator.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:49 PM   #71
Nanuska

Carrier: None
Unhappy Important Question

Hello! First I would like to thank everyone here that told me what to do if my blackberry got wet... cuz it did, about a month ago, and it survived!!! I took the battery out, SIM card, everything, ran cool air from a blow dryer (not for long), and then left if above my directv thingy for a week!!... and it's working perfectly, no complaints whatsoever!... But.. i'm very afraid to turn it off!! It's been on since... Maybe i'm just too paranoid to lose it, and everyone tells me it's ok, nothing will happen now if it's working fine, but i need advice from someone that has really done it, or knows about the subject!! Thanks very much, I'm new, so if someone already asked this and I didn't see it, sorry...!! Please help me.. Thanks very much!
Old 06-30-2008, 09:52 PM   #72
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Welcome to BBF!

I've recovered several wet BB's. If it's been a month? You are good to go. Pull the battery and give it a reboot. It needs it by now!
Old 07-01-2008, 03:18 AM   #73
Kamau
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
PIN: 21499CE8
Carrier: Verizon, T-Mobile

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by djxedxd
If its red does that mean my BB's pregnant cause the other day my girls BB was sittin next to mine and when we came back in the room they were on the floor on top of each other. Hers vibrating on mine hmm. ?
LMAO!

Kamau
Old 07-01-2008, 02:28 PM   #74
Lokheed
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Rogers

Just as an aside, I had a friend who worked in the repair department for Sony. He said that 99% of the phones that came in from British Columbia, Canada appeared to have "water damage." This is because places like that have an extreme amount of humidity.

Phones aren't water proof or air tight (there is dust under my screen on my BB already; only been 3 months). Humidity can be high enough to build micro-drops within the chassis.

I have since remained sceptical about this strips. Anyway, just wanted to throw that out there...
Old 07-01-2008, 04:56 PM   #75
Nanuska

Carrier: None

All right John Clark, thank you so much, your advice is always helpful... to reboot it, I simply need to pull the battery out, put it back in and turn it on? Or do i need to press contacts or that sort of stuff like in some cellphones? Thank you once again!
Old 07-01-2008, 04:58 PM   #76
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000

you just need to remove the battery and the device will power back on once you put the battery back in. if the battery has a charge your device will automatically turn back on, if it doesnt charge it up for a good 4 hours or so
Old 07-01-2008, 05:24 PM   #77
John Clark
BBF Moderator

A battery pull is a common procedure. If you have 30% or more battery then you're fine to reboot.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:36 PM   #78
Taigert

Model: 8110
Default Water Damage Indicators

As soon as I started using my phone I started having problems such as loosing connection with my bluetooth headset. I took it back to to the AT&T corprate store deal with. They detirmined it must be a problem with Motorola H-12 headset, so I left with a new headset. This didn't solve the problem, they said they wanted to try a new headset again still not paying attention to the other problems I was having.
Third time back with all the same problems, this time I insisted they change the phone. The rep brought out my new phone, and asked me if I wanted to change batteries. I didn't want to be stuck all day with a battery that needed to be charged so I told him I'll keep my original battery. When he pulled it out he checked the water indicators and they were RED. He promptly told me that I was SOL. Due to getting my phone wet. The only way I was getting a new phone is if I paid for it!!
To say the least I freaked! I had never gotten that phone wet!! It is very rarely out of it's belt holster, I had only had it a little overe a week. The day before this we had, had a really hard rainstorm. I had to go a short distance in the rain from my truck into a store and then home. But the whole time the phone had been in its Blackberry belt case, below my shirt. That was the closest this phone had come to seeing water.
After a very heated battle I told the rep and assist. manager to go screw themselfes, and I left the store. I was sitting in my truck for a moment trying to calm down so I would be able to drive. Here comes the assist.mgr out of the store approaching my truck wanting to talk to me. I got out prepaired to lay him out on the parking lot, when he said he now takes my word for it not being my fault. He said they would eat the phone. What caused them to change their minds? Is there a known problem? I'm sure the thought of the upcoming law suit was of no concern to AT&T. It's always nice to think they were doing because it would be good buisness, I truely hope this was the reason.
My whole point is check those indicators in front of the reps, before and after your phone leaves your hands or, any time your phone have been out of your sight???
Old 07-04-2008, 10:03 PM   #79
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Wirelessly posted (BB 11020)

I hope they weren't basing this on the indicator on the battery. The only moisture indicator is on the device itself. A small white/red square near the battery. Not ON the battery.
Closed Thread