Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 03:36 AM   #1
PaulOckenden
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: TMo UK
Default BlackBerryAgent.exe - high CPU

Please Login to Remove!

I've got a test BES setup (runing the new single user BES Express 4.1)

I keep getting a situation where BlackBerryAgent.exe is consuming as much CPU as it can - often 90% or so. The system idle task doesn't get a look in.

If I use BlackBerry Manager to re-start the BES services the CPU usage goes back to normal.

I've done a search on the RIM support site and couldn't see anything relevant (there's talk about a BlackBerryAgent CPU problem, but it was supposedly fixed some time ago, so I'd expect 4.1 to be OK).

Anyone got any ideas?
Old 06-08-2006, 03:30 AM   #2
PaulOckenden
Thumbs Must Hurt

BUMP

Am I really the only person suffereing from this one? If so, I guess it must be down to the config of the server, so I'll try a re-install of BES on a different server.

P.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:45 AM   #3
ashworth
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers

I saw another post on the same sort of issue that you are having. The BlackBerryAgent.exe job is to scan the userxxx8217;s mailboxes. Are you running SQL or MSDE, is the high CPU limited to one messaging agent or more then one? How many Exchange servers do you have with BlackBerry enabled mailboxes? How many users are on the BlackBerry Enterprise Server?

In the other post is said that they have seen a users mailbox with corrupt entries and after removing the user it fixed the issue. If you are able to narrow it down to a user you could xmerge the information from his mailbox and create him a new exchange mailbox.

Cheers
Old 06-08-2006, 04:06 AM   #4
PaulOckenden
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashworth
Are you running SQL or MSDE, is the high CPU limited to one messaging agent or more then one? How many Exchange servers do you have with BlackBerry enabled mailboxes? How many users are on the BlackBerry Enterprise Server?
It's a BES Express with just me connected to it (so not under any particular strain). The high CPU thing seems to happen every three or four days, and then re-starting the BES seems to cure it - as such I don't think it's related to my Exchange mailbox (else it would be running at high CPU more often - don't you think?). Oh, I am running MSDE BTW.

Thanks for the help,

P.
Old 06-08-2006, 05:59 AM   #5
ashworth
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: Rogers

It could also be MAPI related. What version of MAPI32.dll is on the BlackBerry Enterprise Server and the Exchange server? You want to make sure that the version of MAPI is the same between the two; you may just need to apply the latest service pack for Exchange on the BES.

Cheers,
Ash
Old 06-08-2006, 12:07 PM   #6
Jeeps
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7130e
Carrier: Verizon

I submitted a post about this. We have the same issue on our 4.0 BES server (100 users) and RIM has no idea as to why it's happening. The only things that I have found that could be causing the issue are: too many pending messages (not sure how many that is) for a Blackberry and having blackberry alerts being sent from the server. If 4.1 has the issue, then there went my fix.

Edited to add the corrupt mail item problem was the third potential reason for the CPU spike. The problem is there is no way to figure out which user has corrupt items in their mailbox.

Last edited by Jeeps; 06-08-2006 at 12:13 PM..
Old 08-02-2007, 12:40 PM   #7
AlanM
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9930

I'm seeing this on my two BES Systems. Each system has 2 BES (4.1.4) and Exchange 2003. We have been running fine on 4.1.4 for a few weeks. Yesterday and today I have noticed that CPU is pegged at 100% with 2-3 BlackberryAgents taking up the processor. Also, the BBAgents are sucking the physical memory dry (the servers have 4 GB RAM). If I shutdown the BES Controller and the agents go down the CPU returns to normal and my memory returns.

On phone with RIM now. They are saying there is a memory leak associated with S/MIME and 4.1.4. No known solution at this time. Great!!! Lovin' my job.
~1500 BB Users, and a headache.
War Eagle!!
Old 08-02-2007, 01:04 PM   #8
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg

guh ... keep us posted on this; i haven't seen anything like this with 4.1 SP4 yet.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:05 AM   #9
chubby_nubby
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanM View Post
I'm seeing this on my two BES Systems. Each system has 2 BES (4.1.4) and Exchange 2003. We have been running fine on 4.1.4 for a few weeks. Yesterday and today I have noticed that CPU is pegged at 100% with 2-3 BlackberryAgents taking up the processor. Also, the BBAgents are sucking the physical memory dry (the servers have 4 GB RAM). If I shutdown the BES Controller and the agents go down the CPU returns to normal and my memory returns.

On phone with RIM now. They are saying there is a memory leak associated with S/MIME and 4.1.4. No known solution at this time. Great!!! Lovin' my job.

Any updates to this, we are having a similar issue

Thanks

...Chubbs
Old 08-06-2007, 10:14 AM   #10
AlanM

Only update I have is that RIM wants me to run Performance monitor for a day and give them the logs. I can give them the logs without running PerfMon, 100% Processor and almost no memory.

The BES servers have 4 GB of RAM, once the BES Controller starts (and the BlackberryAgents) the processor hits 100% and the RAM starts going down. Once RAM as been reduced to < 1GB (takes about 30 minutes), the processor settles down to a reasonable level. If the BES Server is allowed to run the memory will still drop, but at a much slower rate and the Virtual memory will decrease till there is nothing left. Only thing left to do is restart the BES Controller and start the process over.

Looking more into Zenprise and Boxtone to find out more what is happening in the background.

RIM said they are able to reproduce the problem and have developers working on it. No solution time known.

Alan
War Eagle!!
Old 08-06-2007, 06:04 PM   #11
mischief007
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Nope
Carrier: Nope

This doesn't affect just 4.1.4 though, it affects all versions of 4.1 but it has been mostly seen in 4.1.4.

AlanM: Do you have a set limit size on your attachments? If you have an unlimited attachment size then it could be escalating your problem. BES would have an issue with huge S/MIME encrypted messages.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:54 AM   #12
AlanM

I'll have to check the attachment size.
War Eagle!!
Old 08-20-2007, 12:45 PM   #13
AlanM

Got the patch (new blackberryagent.exe) last week. CPU and memory leak seem to have cleared. Our user's large mailboxes (have several mailboxes over 10 GB, those from WES should know this) compounded the issue because everytime we had to restart the BBAgents they'd rescan the mailboxes, which because of their size drove the utilization higher.
War Eagle!!
Old 08-20-2007, 08:03 PM   #14
chubby_nubby
Thumbs Must Hurt

where is the patch located? did it require a reboot?
Old 08-21-2007, 10:46 AM   #15
AlanM

patch was provided directly from RIM. Haven't looked this week to see if it was a hotfix yet. Since it was the BlackberryAgent.exe it just required a shutdown of the BES Controller and then start up of the Controller. Users won't see any downtime.
War Eagle!!
Old 08-21-2007, 10:48 AM   #16
chubby_nubby
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks for the info, I will get on the phone with T Support . . .
Old 08-21-2007, 11:02 AM   #17
chubby_nubby
Thumbs Must Hurt

Of coarse, I called T Support and they have no clue about this patch....what is the name of the file, so I can tell this T Support guy.

Thanks

....Chubbs
Old 08-21-2007, 01:03 PM   #18
AlanM

Chubbs, check your PM
War Eagle!!
Old 08-21-2007, 01:50 PM   #19
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

ooooh, me too me too.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:26 AM   #20
Dookie
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-Mo

Please, me too, i suffer sometimes when i have to persuade the people to clean their mailbox to reasonable size ...
Closed Thread