BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 01:36 PM   #1
exsterminator
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Encrypted Flash Drive Media Cards?

Please Login to Remove!

My company prohibits the use of normal media cards beacuse the data is not encrypted. The only ones they offer are 256 and 512MB. Does anyone know if there is somewhere to buy a 2GB version??? And will I still be able to put music and pictures on the card even if it is encrypted?

Thanks,
Old 07-26-2007, 02:01 PM   #2
sd5187
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z10
Carrier: Rogers

There is no such a thing as a secure Micro SD drive (to the best of my knowledge) like a secure USB memory key.

The Blackberry does have encryption options that allows you to set whether or not you want the Micro SD card encrypted or not. That way if you lose your Blackberry the data can not be read off the card unless your Blackberry is unlocked. Even moving the card to a USB card reader won't work. Only option is to reformat the card.

Currently you can use 4GB cards with no issues.

And yes - you can install movies, pics, music etc. My company forces encryption on the Micro SD cards and I have all of these things on my memory card.

Last edited by sd5187; 07-26-2007 at 02:06 PM..
Old 07-26-2007, 02:41 PM   #3
exsterminator
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks for the reply. Can you just make it a little simpler for the less tech savvy amongst us!

I have a 2GB microSD card at present. When I go to mass storage mode, I do not have the ability to turn it on as there is a red padlock icon by it. My tech dept said that there is an approved flash card under xkey (?) with 256 or 512mb only. They said others are not allowed because the card's data is not encrypted.

So what is it you have and where did you get it from? Did you have the red padlock also and manage to get round it?
Old 07-26-2007, 03:45 PM   #4
sd5187
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z10
Carrier: Rogers

xkey seems to be a secure USB product. I am not familiar with it.

You may want to ask the folks in the BES Forum this question. All that happened with me and my colleagues is that we installed the memory cards and by default encryption was enabled due to the IT Policy pushed down to the Blackberry.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:00 PM   #5
whenimcool
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Class
Carrier: Verizon

This may be related and already covered but I'm the proud owner of a new 8830 World Edition (Verizon). Can I use the new 4GB micro SD High Capacity Memory Card, micro SDHC Card with SD Card Adapter? I think Sandisk is one manufacturer. I just want as much memory has possible. Thanks.
Closed Thread