Old 06-05-2008, 11:33 AM   #1
James2008
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Thumbs down Bluetooth Headset for Calls with Headphones Plugged into Jack

Please Login to Remove!

One of the features I like(d) best about the Curve is the 3.5mm headphones jack. Before I got it, I figured I could simultaneously 1.) use an FM transmitter for media player audio to my car speakers and 2.) use a bluetooth headset for calls. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to work as expected.

My headset (a Motorola HS850) doesn't work for calls when an FM transmitter is plugged into the headphones jack. With a transmitter plugged in, the curve still recognizes the HS850 as the audio in and out interface for calls (instead of the speakerphone or "handset"). When I make or receive a call with something in the jack, it seems that the curve "hands off" audio in/out to the device - my headset makes the familiar beep that tells me that it's active, and I hear a faint hiss. But no audio comes through or goes out. Switching between audio interface options (from the HS850 to speakerphone and back, say) doesn't fix the problem. Unplugging the transmitter does.

It's a shame, because the media player automatic pause/play works like a charm - if the audio handoff to the bluetooth headset worked properly, I'd have a great car phone setup.

Does anyone else have this problem? Any ideas on how I might get around it? Do you think it's specific to my transmitter? Or my headset? Or maybe my OS version (v4.2.2.141 [Platform 2.4.0.62])? It'll be tough for me to try out a new transmitter or headset, so hopefully it's something else.

Thanks in advance for any input!
Old 06-05-2008, 12:29 PM   #2
sd5187
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z10
Carrier: Rogers

Just tried this on my BB 8310. Plugged in a set of headphone and connected my Motorola H710 bluetooth headset. Didn't work for me either. Also, I am running the new 4.5.0.37 beta release. Sorry...seems like a no-go.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:37 PM   #3
James2008
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks a lot for testing that out. I guess that rules out my particular headset, OS, AND transmitter - and BB model - as the cause.

Seems that this FM transmitter for audio + bluetooth for calls isn't a very common configuration. Kind of surprising - was an obvious set up to me.

Are you an official beta tester? Any way to pass this bug along to OS developers?
Old 06-05-2008, 03:32 PM   #4
Dodge DeBoulet
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

So if you want to use your Blackberry to make/receive calls while also using it to listen to music, why not look into something like the Parrot or Satechi A2DP FM transmitters? They also function as speakerphones, pausing the music automatically when you make or receive a call.

Last edited by Dodge DeBoulet; 06-05-2008 at 03:33 PM..
Old 02-05-2009, 11:36 PM   #5
serpent2005

Model: 8320
Carrier: TMobile

Hi, I have a similar problem. I have a car with handsfree which connects to my blackberry 8320 via bluetooth. My car also has an aux input to which I connect the phone to listen to music through my car's speakers. The problem is when I receive a call or make a call through my car's bluetooth connection to my phone the bluetooth connection seems to get handed off to the whatever is connected to the 3.5mm jack on the phone. I wish there was setting on the phone that prevents this from happening. It could say something like when bluetooth is connected all calls will go through the bluetooth.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:59 PM   #6
GregH-BBPearl
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-mobile

I also have a problem with the bluetooth in-dash car set.
Pioneer DEH-7900BT it's a pretty good set so far. Not 100% sure if this sync issue is the BB or Pioneer.
I can sync the curve for calls and it works perfect. However once I have synced for calls I can not even sync it as an audio player.
Once synced as either audio or phone it only finds that option untill I remove it from the sync list on the player.
So the A2DP that I have been waiting for now only works if I remove the BB as a call phone and sync it as a player, then back again to do calls.

I gave up on A2DP because I want to have calls interrupt my songs when coming in. Kind of a bummer though.

....forgive my spelling....
Closed Thread