BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 09:08 AM   #1
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!
Carrier: AT&T
Angry Faster polling on BIS 2.0? Yes or No?

Please Login to Remove!

Several people are reporting that polling is not every 15 minutes but almost instant or in 10 seconds or less.

I think not!

Why do people s t r e t c h the truth?
Old 04-30-2006, 09:29 AM   #2
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlookBerry
hey i have bis 2.0 with nextel and all my emails linked to my bis poll within 10 seconds. why start this new thread when theres one already started about the new bis?

no one is s t r e t c h i n g the truth.
Who is your email provider, Yahoo? Unless the Nextel BIS 2.0 is different than T-mobile or Verizon, all of my different remote email accounts take up to 15-minutes to deliver to the BB.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:31 AM   #3
gdpmumin
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

Yahoo provides instant reconciliation. I've read a couple of posts over the weekend that Sprint Nextel now provides instant reconcilliation. Other than that, polling via BIS 2.0 is pretty much the same as it was under the older system. Maybe a little quicker on average than before, but not much.

The quicker polling times are up to individual ISPs, not RIM. The ISP's servers have to be set to notify your BIS of a new message, at which time your BIS will pull your new messages. At this time, only Yahoo (and apparently Sprint Nextel) have these capabilities.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:34 AM   #4
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlookBerry
hey i have bis 2.0 with nextel and all my emails linked to my bis poll within 10 seconds. why start this new thread when theres one already started about the new bis?

no one is s t r e t c h i n g the truth.
Hello Newbie. Sorry you did not like me starting another thread but I felt that this rumor nneded to be cleared up.

Installing BIS 2.0 does not change the polling speed. For email like AOL is is STILL at 15 minutes. It really has NOT changed
Old 04-30-2006, 09:42 AM   #5
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdpmumin
Yahoo provides instant reconciliation. I've read a couple of posts over the weekend that Sprint Nextel now provides instant reconcilliation. Other than that, polling via BIS 2.0 is pretty much the same as it was under the older system. Maybe a little quicker on average than before, but not much.

The quicker polling times are up to individual ISPs, not RIM. The ISP's servers have to be set to notify your BIS of a new message, at which time your BIS will pull your new messages. At this time, only Yahoo (and apparently Sprint Nextel) have these capabilities.
T-mobile and Verizon also provide instant reconcilation for sending email from the BB when the remote mail account is IMAP. As soon as you send from that account, the BIS sends a copy to the Sent folder on the IMAP server. When you delete messages sent your BB for that account, and after reconcilation happens (manually or within 10-15 minutes on the BB) it puts a copy of the messages in the Trash folder on the IMAP server.

I've searched everywhere and cannot find an ISP that can notify the BIS that new email has arrived for instant pickup of the mail account. If IMAP-IDLE is being used by the BIS, it would require a connected TCP conection between the BIS and the IMAP account (port 143 or 993). If, in fact, Sprint/Nextel's BIS implemetation is allowing IMAP-IDLE to function with ISP IMAP account, then this make more sense.

Can anyone who is noticing real time delivery post the email provider (besides Yahoo)?
Old 04-30-2006, 10:03 AM   #6
BERDucky
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 7290

From my understanding it's only Yahoo! that is real time. Also, if you use the new mail connector (for Domino or Exchange accounts - instead of using OWA or POP/IMAP acccess) it's real-time as well - more like using redirector (but you can view attachments)
Old 04-30-2006, 11:44 AM   #7
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

I use a service called VersaForward and they DO forward my AOL mail to my Blackberry in less than 1 minute!

It does look like nothing has changed and email is still every 15 minutes on BIS. I was wanting to know cause if it did change, I could cancel this service but my other 3 email accounts not with VersaForward still take up to 15 minutes as usual.
Closed Thread