Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 11:49 AM   #1
woodypeoples

Model: None
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default From Voyager to Storm?

Please Login to Remove!

I am a month away from my "New Every Two", and am contemplating my next phone. I currently have a Voyager. I got it mainly to text, but now I find myself emailing more and more. I am interested in a BlackBerry device (specifically the Storm), and I would be interested to know if anyone else made this change. What do you miss from Voyager and what do you like about your Storm. Any responses are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 01-27-2009, 11:55 AM   #2
cablelayer
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
Carrier: verizon

Went from Voyager to the Storm. Best thing I ever did, I love my Storm.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:04 PM   #3
thetruth
Thumbs Must Hurt

I also went from a voyager to a Storm. I don't miss my voyager at all, the storm has so much more potential.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:27 PM   #4
mhuckaby

Carrier: VZW

I gave my Voyager to a 14 yo and have never looked back. Love the Storm...

Mark
Old 01-28-2009, 01:57 AM   #5
voyagor

the only reason why i miss my voyager is because the storm is not capable of the texting speed that the storm is. i used to use my voyager for texting competitions so im very fast and i am unable to do that now. i also miss the fact that the voyager would allow multiple pages of 160 characters and the storm will not. other than that i love the storm
Old 01-28-2009, 10:48 AM   #6
woodypeoples

Model: None
Default Tough Call

I am starting to think the Storm might not be for me. The touch screen on my Voyager is a gimmick; I only use it to answer calls and view texts. So having a touch screen is not very important to me. I need to be able to email and text quickly, and I haven't liked to feel of the Storm when I play with it. I think I am going to wait until Verizon gets either the Bold or the New Curve.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:40 PM   #7
voyagor

i think that is a wise choice. if you need to text quickly then do not go with the storm its as simple as that. i have to see my self go slower than i am capable of just because the storm can not keep up with me. if i go at about 70% speed im still about 6 or 7 words ahead of the phone. and i have to stop to let it catch up or else it will get WAY to slow
Old 01-29-2009, 12:36 PM   #8
lnieto

Thumbs down Voyager to Storm...?

I too am contemplating making the switch. I have no real problems w/ the Voyager, just looking for something new and different...and the Blackberry seems the next logical step to make. Been reading some of the posts and reviews on the Storm...and seem a little skeptical on the OS issues.

I would rather like to hear from die-hard BB users on their view of the Storm rather than someone from a tech magazine or something like that who is getting paid to write their review. I need/want honest opinions on the Storm w/ Verizon service.

Thank
Old 01-29-2009, 01:18 PM   #9
jsntrenkler
BlackBerry Blooded

Model: 9630
PIN: ????
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Die Hard User Here: Storm isn't for everyone ... Consider the Curve if you want super fast texting speed. Blackberries in general are amazing devices, choosing the right one for you, truly is a personal choice. I would recommend playing with all the models available for your specific carrier.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:23 PM   #10
lnieto

Thanks jsn...
Not all that into fast texting. Mainly interested in BB for email/calendar/contacts/web/apps.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:02 PM   #11
Vertioch
Thumbs Must Hurt

My .02 on any mobile device...

They all depend on what you want to do with it...

If you're into calling and texting (and maybe playing music) mainly - then BB isn't the phone for you, the extra monthly data cost won't be worth it.

Blackberry devices excel at email, especially corporate emailing since they are encrypted and meet the security requirements of most companies much further than any other device. They also are decent at browsing and knowledge applications (weather, sports, news, etc). It isn't meant to be a "toy" platform and so their games aren't as good as the iPhone (which is in my mind meant as a toy first).

I have fallen in love w/ my storm despite the OS problems which I am confident will be resolved shortly. No, I'm not going to lie and say I can type as fast as I do on a keyboard or my old 8703... but I can type fast enough to not be frustrated (especially after using it for a few months and growing accustomed to my new speed). I like the ability to play music, take photos and videos once in a while. (The other things like email, the web and calendar are a given to me since I had those before).

BB devices aren't for everyone. It's not elitist... but some people don't need 'em.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:50 AM   #12
Demon
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: 304fcd63

As already stated, the Storm really is not for everyone. The touchscreen will take about a month or more to get comfortable with coming from a device like the Voyager. I have four phones I currently use. Storm, Curve, Voyager and Dare. If I had to pick the easiest to type on it would be the Voyager. Whatever you decide on make sure you play with it in the store quite a bit before buying.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:17 PM   #13
lnieto

I picked up my Storm Saturday...and I can honestly say, "about time!"
Still working my way around it, and setting up email/contacts/calendar...but so far so good and no regrets. If anyone can suggest a stable OS to upgrade to...i'm all ears.

Still have some questions with the BES service and how my calendar/contacts get updated through that though....anyone have any insight?

Thanks.
Closed Thread