Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 02:15 AM   #1
djacks

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cingular
Default Receving duplicate emails from BIS

Please Login to Remove!

I have a POP3 email account with a DSL provider. When I set it up in BIS (AT&T), I enter my email address and password and BIS determines that my account is IMAP.
When I receive an incoming email to my BB, I am often getting the message sent to me twice. If I delete the messages from handheld and from mailbox, quite often - half an hour later the message is agian sent to my BB.
If I log onto my email account via my PC, I see the message in my inbox. It is not being deleted.

Searching on this, I see a number of hits that suggest this is a 'common' problem with IMAP and BB and the recommendation is to switch the account in BIS to POP3. However, in the AT&T BIS website, there is a tab for General settings and a second tab for advanced settings - but there is no ability to change any of the advanced settings. It is set to IMAP and port 993.
I have tried to enter invaid imformation so that I get the option to enter the information manually, This way I can enter the mail server name - but the end result is that BIS is still forcing it to be IMAP.

Does anybody know any way of accomplishing this? or any other means of stopping receiving these duplicate emails.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:04 AM   #2
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Prior to the BIS upgrade you could leave out your password and enter advanced settings to specify the account type. I recommend calling at&t BB support and having the issue escalated to RIM unless they have a solution for this. Seems like several recent upgrades have eliminated some functionality that was actualy useful...
Old 06-26-2007, 09:33 AM   #3
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacks View Post
I have a POP3 email account with a DSL provider. When I set it up in BIS (AT&T), I enter my email address and password and BIS determines that my account is IMAP.
When I receive an incoming email to my BB, I am often getting the message sent to me twice. If I delete the messages from handheld and from mailbox, quite often - half an hour later the message is agian sent to my BB.
If I log onto my email account via my PC, I see the message in my inbox. It is not being deleted.

Searching on this, I see a number of hits that suggest this is a 'common' problem with IMAP and BB and the recommendation is to switch the account in BIS to POP3. However, in the AT&T BIS website, there is a tab for General settings and a second tab for advanced settings - but there is no ability to change any of the advanced settings. It is set to IMAP and port 993.
I have tried to enter invaid imformation so that I get the option to enter the information manually, This way I can enter the mail server name - but the end result is that BIS is still forcing it to be IMAP.

Does anybody know any way of accomplishing this? or any other means of stopping receiving these duplicate emails.
I just worked on a friend's BB with the same issue using Sprint. I knd of followed what takeshi suggested, in entering the email address but not the password. Couldn't select POP or IMAP but I did say that it was a personal account. Still came up as IMAP,but so far, mail is arriving as it is supposed to arrive. AFAIK it has to be either AOG maintenance or PFM.

NOTE: AOG - Act of God. PFM Pure F%^&*$#g Magic.
Closed Thread