amarryat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarryat View Post
I just ordered mine - but now for the full housing, they have the version that says "World Edition" on it, so I got that one instead. Looking forward to my "new" 8830.
I received mine and installed it yesterday. Looks great. Aside from looking nice, the best thing about it is that the backlit keyboard is easy to read. That blue backlight was difficult to focus on, and the b/w is easy like my wifes 8703. I did not use the new siderails that were included - even though the adhesive came off when I took the originals off per the video, they still snap back into place.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:54 PM   #42
sLpFhaWK
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: 24a3cd45
Carrier: Tmobile

So what's the total with everything? 43 for hte housing, 3 for the keypad, and is there anything else u need?
Old 11-05-2007, 06:58 AM   #43
amarryat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sLpFhaWK View Post
So what's the total with everything? 43 for hte housing, 3 for the keypad, and is there anything else u need?
Bottom line was $51.98. I ordered the Full Housing, and the Keyboard.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:44 PM   #44
SDCromer
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650

About six of us at work have ordered the black keyboards for our Verizon 8830's. We have come to the conclusion that these are probably factory seconds. Some of them have keys in the wrong place or installed upside down. Even so, you can correct the error in about 30 seconds and all is well. We are all happy.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:29 PM   #45
dblackburn
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330

I just did my 8830 - keyboard and case - huge difference with the keyboard - I would recommend it to anyone....
Old 11-05-2007, 04:55 PM   #46
gep

Model: 8830
Carrier: VZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCromer View Post
About six of us at work have ordered the black keyboards for our Verizon 8830's. We have come to the conclusion that these are probably factory seconds. Some of them have keys in the wrong place or installed upside down. Even so, you can correct the error in about 30 seconds and all is well. We are all happy.

Yeah, but if you look at the picture, its not the wrong keys in the wrong place, they actually printed the wrong letters on the wrong keys. the # and * are in the right place. very strange. looks good though, thinkin bout this for mine.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:14 PM   #47
sLpFhaWK
Thumbs Must Hurt

52 bux, i watched the video on the install doesn't seem to difficult but i noticed a tool they used on the side rails, looked like a non prying tool used for ipods..

It looks like I COULD do it, but i don't trust myself. Anyone in MA do this that might be able to assist?
Old 11-05-2007, 08:55 PM   #48
ryldup

Model: 8120
PIN: 24595406
Carrier: T-Mob

This was a far easier disassembly than my 2nd gen ipod. This was about 20 minutes for me. I agree that the tape on the rails was deceptive, I thought it would be a much easier pull off the frame. But it was pretty easy. Yet again I am impressed with RIM and their products. I like the fact that I can order up a new display if I somehow manage to break this and replace it myself. I am really happy with the cover. I only ordered the front and keyboard since I have my 8830 in a silicone case most of the time. I'm not sure how long this cover will last without getting scratched up. It does not seem as scratch resistant as the silver. Time will tell. I would suggest anyone who uses the keyboard a lot to get the black keyboard, it is far easier to see the letters, but more importantly the symbols in both light, dark, and medium lighting. I am totally happy with CNN, it cost me $31 and change for the front cover, the keyboard, and an Orange bottom cover since I didn't want the Verizon silver base piece. The Orange logo is the smallest of the logos and looks the best to me. If in doubt, spend the money. I will probably end up getting another one for my wife's BB too.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:41 PM   #49
brianr0131

Model: 7250

I just completed my installation of the black shell and black Keyboard (8830 unbranded) everything was a snap to do. It took a little over 10 minutes and it's beautiful.

There is one problem though. I noticed that the battery door doesn't completely lock. It's a hair too short or something. This makes removing the battery much easier but you can see tiny gap above the silver rectangle at the top of the battery cover. Has anyone else noticed this? I made sure I am not crazy by sliding the old (silver) battery cover on and viola all fits snugly. I wonder if I should email CNN they seem to be helpful.

By the way there is a french keyboard and a Europe keyboard both of which have different lettering and symbol locations. It's not just factory seconds on the keyboards. Make sure you order the USA keyboard.

Last edited by brianr0131; 11-08-2007 at 02:42 PM..
Old 11-08-2007, 02:56 PM   #50
yester18
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: VZW

yep they sent me the wrong one before also.... got a replacement in three days....

I love my all black case and keyboard. easy to change so if i have to go to verizon.

I have noticed the battery door also...... maybe the clip is catching let me know what you find out, I may have to change the back cover also.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:01 PM   #51
brianr0131

I emailed CNN and Steve Chan responded with this:

"I noticed the same thing on my own 8800, how big is the gap? Do you have a
picture? I think it might be normal.

Steve Chan"

I replied:

"Steve,

Its a very small gap. I don't think a pic would help. You can slide the door off without pushing down on the silver part if you know what I mean. Its a tiny bit too short."

He did not respond to the last email. I do, however have an update. My usb port was loose and the charger was not constantly charging the phone so I called verizon and they said to bring it in for an exchange. So, I had to remove the black shell and re install the OEM silver shell. When I did this I paid special attention to the back panel and battery cover. The problem is not on the battery cover the problem is on the top part of the back cover. there is a small "latch" in the middle of the cutout where the silver "micro SD" recangle goes that is missing. It is present on the silver faceplate and missing on the black one.

All that being said, I think I'm the first official black shell back to silver warranty exchange thusfar. Those of you who were worried, relax and get the black faceplate. Even the battery door issue is pretty much no big deal. it won't fall off but it slides off kinda easily.

Last edited by brianr0131; 11-09-2007 at 11:57 PM..
Old 11-09-2007, 11:55 PM   #52
brianr0131

YESTER18!!!!

Problem fixed. I had to slightly bend the two parts of the battery door on each side that stick out (black plastic parts) I did this by facing the silver part up and pushing the small clips one at a time into the corner of the table gently but hard enough to bend them a little bit. This worked prefect.

By the way Steve emailed me again. He was very concerned. That says a lot.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:39 PM   #53
yester18
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianr0131 View Post
YESTER18!!!!

Problem fixed. I had to slightly bend the two parts of the battery door on each side that stick out (black plastic parts) I did this by facing the silver part up and pushing the small clips one at a time into the corner of the table gently but hard enough to bend them a little bit. This worked prefect.

By the way Steve emailed me again. He was very concerned. That says a lot.

Sorry bro I am still confused as to what I need to bend?
Old 11-10-2007, 07:14 PM   #54
brianr0131

Quote:
Originally Posted by yester18 View Post
Sorry bro I am still confused as to what I need to bend?
Take the battery door off and look at it with the silver rectangle facing up. Near the right and left top edges there are 2 small "clips" one at each end. Those have to be bent very carefully up towards you. I hope that helps. Mine is perfect now.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:29 PM   #55
stevenmz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Take the battery door off and look at it with the silver rectangle facing up. Near the right and left top edges there are 2 small "clips" one at each end. Those have to be bent very carefully up towards you. I hope that helps. Mine is perfect now.
The earlier post about the clip on the back faceplate is accurate. I just did the swap to black today and noticed the same thing. My battery door slides off too easily and I found your advice about gently bending the plastic tabs helps. Also I pushed the metal clip at the top of the silver rectangle firmly against the rectangle and now the cover fits almost as snug as my silver original. Would be nice though is CNN would step up and ship us backplates with the correct latch.
Am I the only one who finds themselves gazing at their new BLACK 8830. Damn it's beautiful....something must be wrong with me.....
Old 11-10-2007, 11:06 PM   #56
yester18
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:

the black clips are plastic they do not bend.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:50 PM   #57
sLpFhaWK
Thumbs Must Hurt

Still lookin for someone in Mass to do mine=)
Old 11-11-2007, 06:47 AM   #58
stevenmz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by yester18 View Post
the black clips are plastic they do not bend.
Granite doesn't bend, plastic does. The plastic clips do change position if you apply gentle pressure (can't really tell by looking). Also, from my earlier post, if you push the metal clip firmly against the back of the chrome latch it will snap rather nicely into the back plate. Cheers.....
Old 11-11-2007, 09:22 AM   #59
brianr0131

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenmz View Post
Granite doesn't bend, plastic does. The plastic clips do change position if you apply gentle pressure (can't really tell by looking). Also, from my earlier post, if you push the metal clip firmly against the back of the chrome latch it will snap rather nicely into the back plate. Cheers.....
Yea what he said....

Also, I stare at my black blackberry all the time as well. She sure is a pretty one.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:00 PM   #60
lawdogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sLpFhaWK View Post
Still lookin for someone in Mass to do mine=)
You can do this yourself, even if you think you can't. Trust me.

Just sit in front of your computer and follow the video they have on their website. It is EASY. The hardest part is teasing the side rails off since they are sort of glued down - but that is NOT very hard, it just requires a little patience.

I went VERY slowly, just to make sure I didn't break anything or miss any steps, and it STILL only took me a bit over 20 minutes.
Closed Thread