Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 03:03 PM   #1
1stcare
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon
Default 2 8830 questions

Please Login to Remove!

I just received the new phone, looks real nice. I have not activated as of yet. My question is about reactivating my BES. Do I need to contact my network administrator?? Is there a way for me to locate the password on my 8703 that was originally given to me when I initially activated my 8703?

Also I was wondered if the 8830can be used as a tethered modem with a mac either by bluetooth or USB. Thanks

Marc
Old 05-30-2007, 03:35 PM   #2
bremere
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8230
PIN: ky and the Brain
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stcare View Post
I just received the new phone, looks real nice. I have not activated as of yet. My question is about reactivating my BES. Do I need to contact my network administrator?? Is there a way for me to locate the password on my 8703 that was originally given to me when I initially activated my 8703?

You will have to give your BES admin the new PIN # on your device in order for the new device to activate on BES, so YES to contacting your BES admin, and NO for using the same password

Also I was wondered if the 8830can be used as a tethered modem with a mac either by bluetooth or USB.

No, VZAccess Mgr does not support mac for the BB's, you can get updates on VZaccess mgr and mac compatibility at

www.vzam.net

Thanks
You're Welcome

Marc
-emb
Old 05-30-2007, 03:55 PM   #3
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

For starters, the post above by 'bremere' contains a lot of misinformation.
Here's my responses:

Quote:
Do I need to contact my network administrator??
Only if you intend on doing a wireless Enterprise activation.
Even if you want to do a wireless activation, you don't need to provide your BES admin with your new PIN. That's unnecessary.
Just let them know you have a new device and they'll be able to e-mail you a new activation password.
When you do the EA, your new PIN number will automatically adjust in your BES profile.

If you're using Desktop Manager, and have a USB cable... just launch DM and hook up the new BlackBerry. You'll be prompted to switch to the new device, and it will activate via the cable.
You wouldn't need to speak to your BES admin at all. (They'll know about the device switch, however.)

Your old EA password would have surely expired by now, so it would be no good to you even if you found it.

Quote:
if the 8830can be used as a tethered modem with a mac either by bluetooth or USB
Yes, it can.
You need the $15 tethering plan from Verizon, and you'll be able to tether via Bluetooth. Works fine. Haven't tried USB, because there's no need.
You don't need VZaccess Manager on the Mac at all.

Quote:
Thanks
You're welcome.

Last edited by penguin3107; 05-30-2007 at 04:00 PM..
Old 05-30-2007, 04:08 PM   #4
2 Samuel 22
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 96xx
PIN: Firing
Carrier: Southern Bell, PrimeCo, Omnipoint, United Telecom
You can Enterprise Activate on BES a couple of different ways.

Wireless Enterprise Activation:
To Enterprise Activate your new Blackberry, your BES Administrator will need to set a new activation password for your profile or one can be automatically generated and emailed to your device.

When you speak to your BES Admin to get your password, you should ask if you are set up with Automatic Wireless Backup. If so, Enterprise Activation wirelessly is very easy.

Once you have that password, go to Enterprise Activation, enter your corp email address and password you were given then click to Activate. OTA Enterprise Activation takes anywhere between 15 minutes to 2 hours depending upon how much stuff you have on your calendar, email, contacts, etc.

If you are not setup for Automatic Wireless Backup then you should use the Cradle method.

Cradled Activation:
Another way to activate your Blackberry on BES is to cradle it and switch devices.

If you are not set up for Automatic Wireless Backup then you should backup your existing Blackberry via Desktop Manager before Enterprise Activating your new BB.

Install Desktop Manager 4.2 and do a full backup your old device. Once finished, plug in you new BB and when prompted, choose to switch to your new device.

There are a lot of assumptions made in using this method. It works well in our environment with our IT Policy but it may not work in yours. If in doubt, ask your BES Admin. YMMV

LOL, Penguin beat me to it.

Last edited by 2 Samuel 22; 05-30-2007 at 04:29 PM..
Old 05-30-2007, 04:09 PM   #5
1stcare
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon
Default clarification

If I have backed up my 8703 using DM on my personal PC, then if I just connect it, it should enable my BES? I would not be connecting through my company's PC, it would be my personal PC.

Marc
Old 05-30-2007, 04:18 PM   #6
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Does DM on your personal PC connect to your company BES?
(During the install of DM, you would have needed to choose "Blackberry Enterprise Server" for the installation type.)

If so, then it would activate.

Last edited by penguin3107; 05-30-2007 at 04:20 PM..
Old 05-30-2007, 04:25 PM   #7
2 Samuel 22
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 96xx
PIN: Firing
Carrier: Southern Bell, PrimeCo, Omnipoint, United Telecom

Quote:
If I have backed up my 8703 using DM on my personal PC, then if I just connect it, it should enable my BES? I would not be connecting through my company's PC, it would be my personal PC.

Marc
No, it won't work. One exception to this would be if you use your personal computer to VPN to your company network and use MS Outlook/Lotus Notes for email/calendaring and also have DM configured with your company BES settings.

Doh! Penguin beat me to it, again.

Last edited by 2 Samuel 22; 05-30-2007 at 04:27 PM..
Closed Thread