BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 06:14 PM   #1
balloondoc85

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default 8830 Ringer volume too soft...ring, ring...

Please Login to Remove!

New 8830 ringer volume way too soft, tried changing profiles, ringtones, speaker volume, everything I know in my 2 days of ownership. But, geez, I can't hear this thing ring, this is a disaster, any help from you experts? Any downloadable ringtones ring louder? I am young and not deaf, so I ain't an' old guy who just can't hear well...thanks.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:44 PM   #2
snoxr500
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: 235AC24D
Carrier: Rogers

what type of ringer are you useing, if you are using mp3 ringtones some are at a different volume, some are loud some are soft, i have a pearl and i find it deffinitally is not as loud as my samsung i used to have
Old 05-17-2007, 09:22 PM   #3
2 Samuel 22

Model: 96xx
PIN: Firing
Carrier: Southern Bell, PrimeCo, Omnipoint, United Telecom

I agree. The 8830 ringtone & notifiers are much lower in volume. I have been testing the Cingular 8800 for a few weeks and received my VZW 8830 on Tuesday. Comparing apples to apples, the 8830 is much lower in volume. It would seem like the 8830 is stuck on Medium even though it is set to Loud. This applies to all notifiers and ringtones. Speakerphone is loud when listening to MP3s, calls & Voice commands.

One thing I've noticed when switching between ringtones/notifiers, the trackwheel click will occasionally get loud for a single click or two then go back to normal volume. It would seem the volume issue is an OS glitch. I've put the call in to our rep and support, we'll see what the response is...
Old 05-17-2007, 10:27 PM   #4
snoxr500

PIN: 235AC24D
Carrier: Rogers

with in the PROFILE you can set the volume of alerts and ringers too
Old 05-17-2007, 10:36 PM   #5
LarryH

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

Yeah, this version definitely has a volume issue. Hopefully, this will be addressed in some sort of software update. Keep us posted.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:12 AM   #6
2 Samuel 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoxr500 View Post
with in the PROFILE you can set the volume of alerts and ringers too
Indeed you can, and that's what I'm talking about.

I'll clarify-
Under the various Profiles, there is a Volume setting: Mute, Low, Medium, High, or Escalating which controls the volume of the Tune you choose. With the volume set to High, regardless of which sound you choose, the 8830 is much lower in volume compared to that of the 8800, 8703e, or 8700c. I did a side-by-side comparison using the same sound files on an 8830 vs. an 8800. The 8830 volume is lower as if it were set to Medium in Profiles, even though it is set to High, in Profiles. Hopefully this will be corrected in the next OS revision. Still waiting on official reply from VZW on the volume issue.

ETA: Yes, the internal GPS is disabled for third-party apps like TeleNav, Google Maps, and BB Maps but it still works for e911 and Chaperone. Within the next 60 days, VZW will be releasing their navigation app that is suppose to be a cross-breed between VZNavigator and TeleNav.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:20 AM   #7
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

baloon... some loud ringers here...
http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...tml#post539270
Old 05-18-2007, 01:02 PM   #8
dallasaudiguy
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by balloondoc85 View Post
New 8830 ringer volume way too soft, tried changing profiles, ringtones, speaker volume, everything I know in my 2 days of ownership. But, geez, I can't hear this thing ring, this is a disaster, any help from you experts? Any downloadable ringtones ring louder? I am young and not deaf, so I ain't an' old guy who just can't hear well...thanks.

on the 8300, the phone would default to ring at the last volume of the speaker phone

try this

place a call with you BB, switch to speakerphone, and crank the volume all the way up when the speaker phone is active

then hang up and and try calling the BB from another phone
Old 05-18-2007, 01:28 PM   #9
LarryH

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasaudiguy View Post
on the 8300, the phone would default to ring at the last volume of the speaker phone

try this

place a call with you BB, switch to speakerphone, and crank the volume all the way up when the speaker phone is active

then hang up and and try calling the BB from another phone
Been there, done that. I'd read this tip elsewhere on the boards. Didn't help. :(
Old 05-18-2007, 01:46 PM   #10
BBDummy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: 30184580

I've experienced the same thing. The same volume setting on the 8800 is much louder vs. the 8830. My IT guy stopped by about 10 minutes ago, and he was carrying an 8830 marked with the RIM evaluation unit sticker b/c he evaluated it for VZW (a fringe benefit of working here, I suppose), and had the same complaint, as well as a weak vibrate.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:47 PM   #11
dwp1975
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530
PIN: 304CEA0A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBDummy View Post
I've experienced the same thing. The same volume setting on the 8800 is much louder vs. the 8830. My IT guy stopped by about 10 minutes ago, and he was carrying an 8830 marked with the RIM evaluation unit sticker b/c he evaluated it for VZW (a fringe benefit of working here, I suppose), and had the same complaint, as well as a weak vibrate.
Same complaint holds true for my verizon wireless 8703e, maybe verizon has lost it's mind and went overboard with it's usual phone feature crippling and crippled the volume level as well. Be on the look out for verizon's new "volume" package for $5.99 a month....LOL
Old 05-19-2007, 04:31 PM   #12
balloondoc85

Default Problem solved...bought a hearing aid.

Thanks all for your comments, I apologize that I have been away and not replied. I have tried reseting the volume in profiles, tried a bunch of pre-loaded ringtones, jacked up the speaker volume, but none of that works. It is interesting that the speaker is plenty loud during a call or when playing video, but not when the phone is ringing. Are there downloadable ringtones that start out loud, and therefore would play louder than the preloaded tones?
Old 05-19-2007, 07:29 PM   #13
junior1790
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwp1975 View Post
Same complaint holds true for my verizon wireless 8703e, maybe verizon has lost it's mind and went overboard with it's usual phone feature crippling and crippled the volume level as well. Be on the look out for verizon's new "volume" package for $5.99 a month....LOL
LOL...Volume package... good stuff....
Old 05-21-2007, 11:16 PM   #14
2 Samuel 22

Post Maybe more to it than originally thought....

I am concurrently running an 8800 and 8830 for testing, and I did add my complaint about the lower volume on this thread. I started noticing today that the sound quality on the 8800 is degrading. It sounds like the internal speaker is on the verge of blowing out. The tunes/notifiers/ringers are now starting to sound distorted at high volume. Even the click sound for the trackball sounds bad at medium/low volume.

I did recall that my 8703e was very good with volume so I figured I'd do a side-by-side comparison. I pulled it out of the drawer and powered it up and sure enough, the sounds are also slightly distorted as if the speaker was starting to go. I grabbed a different 8703e and it also sounds that way. I pulled a few 8700c's and those too exhibit the same distorted sound at high volume. Hmmm....

I've only been running the 8830 for a week now but the sound quality is just fine although a little too low in volume for my preference. Maybe a RIM engineer figured the volume on the 870x/880x was too loud for the internal speaker to handle so they tweaked the volume down a bit to prevent premature distortion/speaker failure. Who knows? Maybe they're just trying to avoid a lawsuit down the road from all us folks who lost their hearing from having their BB volume cranked all the way up!

Anywho, your mileage may vary...

Old 05-23-2007, 01:55 AM   #15
Hoppyjr

Carrier: AT&T

Hi folks - I have a possible fix for the low ringer volume issue -

I didn't like the ring volume on my 8830 either and I am by no means good with stuff like this, but I "Googled" and found a program called Audacity that is free (can't post the link, but it looks like some sort of open source/shareware). In any case, I installed it and it allows you to raise the gain of ringtones. I also modified some old fashioned ringers by shortening and amplifying them a little bit. If I can do it, anyone can! I am pleased with the result, which is at least as loud as my 8703, if not a bit better. I wish I had found this sooner (no, I don't have any personal stake in the program but it worked for me).

Added info - I used some mp3 ringers that I have used in my Motorola phones. I was not able to boost the stock ring tones, only new ones that I have added to the 8830. Also, for those who may not know - when you install the new Desktop Manager software that comes with the 8830, there is a media management icon. When you add ringers this way, you can select to put them into the "device memory" or the media card memory. This was one of the few things that I liked about Windows Mobile devices and I'm pleased to see it in the Blackberry. I dropped my boosted mp3 ringers into the device memory and so far, so good. I'm using a loud Nextel ringer that really gets my attention.

Unfortunately, I cannot find any way to delete the stock images or stock tones on the device - it looks to be locked somehow.

Hoppy

Last edited by Hoppyjr; 05-25-2007 at 11:11 PM..
Old 05-25-2007, 02:27 PM   #16
trams
Thumbs Must Hurt

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwp1975 View Post
hahaha! That's awesome. So true

BTW, I also own an 8830. Same low volume and weak vibrate issue here. Other than that, no complaints. I love this thing.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:15 PM   #17
sassilass

Today I purchased the 8830 with Verizon. I was so excited and I couldn't wait to get home and set it up! Well, I have spent the last 4 hours trying to figure out why I can't hear the phone ring on any of the Ringtones! When you play a sample of the Ringtone its very loud, but when you actually set it as your Ring, it's so soft you can barely hear it! Of course I couldn't talk to support tonight as they were closed for the holiday. Thank god I came to this forum ! I thought I was going nuts! All this hype about this World Phone, but what good is it if you can't hear it ring???????
Old 05-28-2007, 11:26 PM   #18
chrisxxx

Model: 8800
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassilass View Post
Today I purchased the 8830 with Verizon. I was so excited and I couldn't wait to get home and set it up! Well, I have spent the last 4 hours trying to figure out why I can't hear the phone ring on any of the Ringtones! When you play a sample of the Ringtone its very loud, but when you actually set it as your Ring, it's so soft you can barely hear it! Of course I couldn't talk to support tonight as they were closed for the holiday. Thank god I came to this forum ! I thought I was going nuts! All this hype about this World Phone, but what good is it if you can't hear it ring???????
it seems all verizon new phones do that. ive been through 3 new phones and 1 being a Q and parents have had 3 other cellphones. when they first opened it up and put ringtone. they couldnt hear but after a while it'll wake up from its sleep.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:30 AM   #19
dbdynsty25
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Carrier: At&t

Once question I have for the guys with the Loud ringer when they select the tone, but quiet when they get a call.

Are you sure you don't have the profile, or the group you are getting a call from, set to the lower ringer? Assuming you are in your loud profile, you can add exceptions...maybe you did that?
Old 05-29-2007, 12:44 AM   #20
LarryH

Nah. This phone definitely has a ringer volume problem. It's not a mis-setting of any sort (at least for most of us.) I've had tons of phones, tons of PDA type phones and this one isn't the worst in terms of volume but it's competing for second place. This is definitely a shortcoming in either the hardware or software of this phone.

I've had my Moto Q for quite some time and never had a ring volume issue with it. All that said, I'm generally quite impressed with my first BB. But unless you have it wired into your head you won't hear it ring if the ambient noise rises above a whisper.
Closed Thread