BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 10:58 AM   #1
paxkine

Model: 7100t
Default 7100t w/t-mobile BES help!!!

Please Login to Remove!

Hi everyone,

just got my 7100t from t-mobile and love it so far. I did a search but have a question for the advanced users on the board...

I added an unlimited BES data plan (at US 30.00 per month) to my voice plan so that I could get my corporate email for work. After reading numerous threads, I am wondering what is the advantage to doing this??

Let me explain. For me, all I need is email...not wireless synchronization. My phone already is able to surf the web, (thanks TMO!) and it looks like I can use the CD provided to redirect all my work emails to my phone. is there any other advantages of using BES that I am missing?? Security is not an issue for me, and I would like having a copy of my emails instead of the originals on my phone.

Seems like I could use a redirector and some outlook rules and save myself $30 per month...unless there are any supercool BES features I am unaware of? I work for a large Fortune 500 company that has BES but I am sure it is pretty locked down with no features anyway....

any feedback from the pros??

Thanks!
Old 05-30-2005, 12:28 PM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

There is included software on the CD called the Desktop Redirector, which will push your e-mail to the BlackBerry, if you are using MS Exchange as your e-mail server and if you leave the PC on 24X7, attached to your corporate network - meaning it must be logged in and have access your your mailbox. The kicker with Desktop Redirector is that you must have the $40 / month plan and not the $30 / month plan. The $30 plan gives you the BlackBerry Web Client (BWC - now know as BlackBerry Internet Service), but NOT Desktop Redirector or BES.

Not knowing your e-mail setup, it would be possible to set up the BWC (giving your BB an e-mail address of [email address]) and then write a rule to forward your messages from Outlook to the BB.

If I were you, I'd get on your corporate BES, locked down or not. That's the fastest and safest way to get your e-mail.
Old 05-30-2005, 05:45 PM   #3
paxkine

hello!

thx for the reply, so basically if I want to setup a rule in outlook to automatically forward to my BIS account I need to pay a monthly fee anyway? what if I setup a rule to automatically forward to my GMAIL account (which I automatically forward to my BB?)

I don't get reimbursed for expensive monthly phone bills, that is why I am asking

btw, here is an email I just got from the IT guys, do you know what this means? attachment is a .DATfile...

This message is used to carry data between the BlackBerry Handheld and an associated server. Please do not delete, move or respond to this message - it will be processed by the server.

BEGINETP 82
AdMvhgEAAAAAIBAIMjAyQThBNzYgF3NlYW4uai5tdWxoZXJuQG VyYWMuY29tAH36kAxQCU9U
QUtFWUdFTgNAgICAgA4AAAAAABBdqgH7BAIHAA!!
ENDETP -1815467820

<<ETP.DAT>>
Old 05-30-2005, 05:50 PM   #4
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

First of all - I made a typo on my original note. The BWC only paln is $20, the BWC and/or BES plan is $30; you have the right plan. However, If you want ANY e-mail - push, pull, GMail, POP3, whatever - you must pay for the BlackBerry Data Plan. No way around it.

The message indicates one of two things:

1) You started an Enterprise Activation - which has not worked (and since you aren't on BES 4.0, it will never work, or,

2) When you installed Desktop Manager, you told it that you were using the Desktop Redirector. And those messages are between the Desktop and the Redirector.
Old 05-30-2005, 06:07 PM   #5
paxkine

wow you could tell it was not bes 4.0 by that message? shoot I was hoping we would have it on our servers for ota activation. got it, looks like I will have to shell out for the monthly plan

I have not installed desktop manager or anything at work yet, just made the request to activate my account...I guess when I get to work tomorrow and install everything it should be activated and work no problem right? well, we can always hope hehe
Old 05-30-2005, 06:47 PM   #6
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

No - your BES might well be 4.0, but you need to put in your Corporate e-mail address and the one time password that is given to you by your BES Admins.
Old 05-31-2005, 01:53 AM   #7
jlyell

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT
Default 7100g Redirector RIM Email w/Exchange Server

I have a 7100g (Cingular) and RIM 4.0 installed on my desktop. My email is through my office exchange server and I have used enterprise server/redirector. I haven't really had problems with receiving or sending messages. However, I do have the following two problems. If anyone can offer any suggestions, that would be great.

1. When I delete emails from the bb, they do not delete from the server. I have reconciled and it still does not work. I have rebooted and it still doesn't work.

2. I have begun receiving the RIM.bca..... redirector email messages (text posted below)

This message is used to carry data between the BlackBerry Handheld and an associated server. Please do not delete, move or respond to this message - it will be processed by the server.

My question is: since I am on an exchange server, must I use BES/redirector?

And if I must use redirector, is there any way to stop these messages?

Thanks for your help-
Old 05-31-2005, 03:07 PM   #8
paxkine

Default ota activation

hello,

I just activated my bb w/ ota activation, is there any benefit to installing the desktop management software?? I would like to synch with ACT contact management software, would the desktop software let me do this?

Thanks!
Old 05-31-2005, 04:53 PM   #9
texasag90
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-Mobile

ACT 4.0 is one of the sync options.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:17 PM   #10
paxkine

Default bb

hello,

after activation with BES, I noticed my corporate IT policy on the phone is to enter a password every 30 minutes on the handheld for security...

just a "tad" bit annoying to have to do this about 5 times a day, any way to change this???
Closed Thread