Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 04:56 AM   #1
deepfreeze

Model: 8100
Default pearl and a mac

Please Login to Remove!

hello,
new to the forum.
Does anybody have any insight into whether or not the pearl is compatible in anyway with a mac?

I realize that the included file exchange software is only for PC/ Windows, but can the bluetooth connection be used with a mac? So far I have had no luck and a message that reads something to the effect of "device does not have the necesary services" If I set up the software on a friends PC, will the bluetooth work?

Or is it possible that after running the software on a friends PC, I could just use a USB card reader to drag and drop on my mac?

I would appreciate any help!

Thanks!

Last edited by deepfreeze; 01-09-2007 at 04:59 AM..
Old 01-09-2007, 05:36 AM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

** Moving to the Mac Users Corner **
May get more attention there...
Old 01-09-2007, 07:53 AM   #3
wclyffe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mobile
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfreeze
hello,
new to the forum.
Does anybody have any insight into whether or not the pearl is compatible in anyway with a mac?

I realize that the included file exchange software is only for PC/ Windows, but can the bluetooth connection be used with a mac? So far I have had no luck and a message that reads something to the effect of "device does not have the necesary services" If I set up the software on a friends PC, will the bluetooth work?

Or is it possible that after running the software on a friends PC, I could just use a USB card reader to drag and drop on my mac?

I would appreciate any help!

Thanks!

Are you running PocketMac 4 on your Mac? And no, at this point bluetooth file transfer has not been accomplished by anyone I'm aware of.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:43 PM   #4
Heavy Fluid
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930
PIN: Ask please
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I set up my wifes Pearl to accept files through Bluetooth on our iMac G5, unless that isn't what you are talking about. I sent her ringtones and a few wallpapers.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:27 AM   #5
MannyRios

Model: 8100C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Fluid
I set up my wifes Pearl to accept files through Bluetooth on our iMac G5, unless that isn't what you are talking about. I sent her ringtones and a few wallpapers.
How? I tried. I can't send anything to my Pearl from my G5? Frustrated. Also, I have it pluged via USB and I don't see another Drive on my desktop. How am I to transfer from my Mac to the Pearl? Do I need a Media Card installed?

I read this....
Transfer a file between your media card and your computer
Verify that mass storage mode is turned on.
1. Connect your BlackBerry® device to your computer.
2. On your computer, double-click My Computer.
3. In the Devices with Removable Storage section, click Removable Disk.
4. Drag a file from one location to another.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:01 AM   #6
mr_kitty
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyRios
2. On your computer, double-click My Computer.

That's odd... on MY COMPUTER there is no such icon named "My Computer".

*gosh darn mac*
Old 01-10-2007, 02:47 AM   #7
HashGordon
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z10
Carrier: Airtel

your mac will not have an icon called 'My Computer'.

that happens on a PC.

what you can do is get a card reader. they are mighty cheap these days. i dont have a pearl so cant help you gtetting the bluetooth working. you could ask heavyfluid though
heavyfluid said
Quote:
Old 01-10-2007, 10:04 AM   #8
Heavy Fluid
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930
PIN: Ask please
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I just went under Bluetooth > Setup Bluetooth Device > select Mobile Phone, and went from there. You need to make sure that the Bluetooth on the Pearl is ON, and you should be connected in less than a minute after following the guide.

I don't know anything about a card reader though. Are you talking about a Vcard? You can send that directly to your G5 also, but you must use the iSync function. You can transfer contacts and your calendar from one to the other. iSync > Devices > Add Device and go from there. No USB cable needed for either of these processes.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:58 AM   #9
MannyRios

Model: 8100C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Fluid
I just went under Bluetooth > Setup Bluetooth Device > select Mobile Phone, and went from there. You need to make sure that the Bluetooth on the Pearl is ON, and you should be connected in less than a minute after following the guide.

I don't know anything about a card reader though. Are you talking about a Vcard? You can send that directly to your G5 also, but you must use the iSync function. You can transfer contacts and your calendar from one to the other. iSync > Devices > Add Device and go from there. No USB cable needed for either of these processes.
Thanks. I'll try this when I return home. Also, the 'My Computer' thing was a Copy and Paste from the Manual. I know the Mac Machines do not have 'My Computer'
Old 01-14-2007, 06:12 AM   #10
peestandingup
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320

OK, I should kill all of you for letting this poor guy suffer for this long.

First thing you wanna do is pair your phone to your Mac using the Bluetooth setup assistant.

After that, make sure bluetooth is turned on your phone & Mac. Find the Bluetooth File Exchange application located in your applications/utilities folder on the Mac. You will use this little app to send & receive files to/from your phone.

To send a file from your phone to your Mac, just locate it in the Media app on the phone & choose Send Using Bluetooth from the menu.

To send a file from your Mac to your phone. Go back to the Media app on your phone & click on the kind of file you wanna send (Music, Video, Ringtones, etc). Go to the folder you wanna receive the file in & hit the menu key & choose Receive Using Bluetooth. Then, send the file from your Mac using that same Bluetooth File Exchange app.

It normally wouldnt be that tricky, but BlackBerrys for some reason make you navigate to the appropriate folder first & then you have to choose to receive it from the menu, which is kinda dumb. My Nokia just accepts the file from the home screen & lets me choose where to put it after the download.

Hope this helps!
Old 01-14-2007, 06:16 AM   #11
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Yes, I can understand why you would want to kill people over that.
Especially since the OP never posted back...
Old 01-15-2007, 03:16 AM   #12
peestandingup
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
Yes, I can understand why you would want to kill people over that.
Especially since the OP never posted back...
First, its called a joke. Second, I was referring to Manny's trouble. Sorry, I should have been more clear.

And yes, someone should have said something about the one & only way to send/receive files via bluetooth thats built right into Mac OS X, instead of talking about getting external card readers, etc. He asked how & no one said squat about it.

Last edited by peestandingup; 01-15-2007 at 03:18 AM..
Closed Thread