BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 12:01 PM   #1
scher215
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Is This Covered? Screen Issue...

Please Login to Remove!

I dropped my storm yesterday and now notice that the screen is looser in the phone and "squeecks" when i move it side to side (mainly right to left) I am just wondering if this is covered under warranty or if there is anything I can do (even if i have to pay - not buying a new storm though) to get it fixed / replaced or if its just something ill have to live with?

i also upgraded to .99 and ive heard some people say this voids the warranty...could that be an issue?

Any help you guys can give would be great! Thanks.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:08 PM   #2
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

A lot of times if there is evidence of physical damage, they won't replace it. If there isn't you may be in luck, but you will get a refurbished one in return.

Upgrading your OS will NOT void your warranty. Just downgrade back to the latest official OS from Verizon.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:11 PM   #3
crackBerrybOb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: The Tail on the Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsconyers View Post
Upgrading your OS will NOT void your warranty. Just downgrade back to the latest official OS from Verizon.
And if there is no visible sign of dropage, and you take it in after you downgrade to .75, don't even mention the word "leak".

Something to check, on the offhand chance, is if you had a screen saver on there, it did not shift. They will cause the squeek sound you mentioned if they start rubbing against the side of the bezel.

Good Luck!
Old 02-07-2009, 12:14 PM   #4
scher215
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
PIN: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackBerrybOb View Post
And if there is no visible sign of dropage, and you take it in after you downgrade to .75, don't even mention the word "leak".

Something to check, on the offhand chance, is if you had a screen saver on there, it did not shift. They will cause the squeek sound you mentioned if they start rubbing against the side of the bezel.

Good Luck!
i do have a screen protector on it, however it doesnt appear to me that its rubbing anyway. but then it only makes the noise (like a creaky floor lol) when i go side to side. up and down goes fine.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:23 PM   #5
crackBerrybOb
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: The Tail on the Mod

Oh,, another option possibly.

If there is signs of dropage, and you've had the phone less than 90 days (and have the receipt), go look up Square Trade.

You can purchase the same basic insurance VZW offers (except it will not cover loss/theft) for $68 with a coupon code of THIRTY30. That's two years of coverage which extends the manufacturers waranty by one year and covers accidental damage while using the device for two years from date of purchase. This will cover $399 worth and there may be a $50 deductable.

I think there's a 30 day waiting period for filing but that is better than paying for a brand new device in total.
Old 02-07-2009, 02:43 PM   #6
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: Ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsconyers View Post
A lot of times if there is evidence of physical damage, they won't replace it. If there isn't you may be in luck, but you will get a refurbished one in return.

Now that's prevarication at its finest. Why is everyone afraid to simply say "Yes", with regard to the beta issue.

#1. Scher, every major website that discusses beta programs, including Verizon, unequivocally warns that it will void your warranty if an unofficial OS is discovered loaded into your phone. The bottom line is YES - unless you wipe your phone and reload the most recently officially released OS. For now that is .75. So the most honest answer is YES if your carrier figures it out. So cover your tracks.

#2. Most Verizon stores will work on your Storm if you just walk in an ask for help. I did it about 4 times with my first Storm and every time they worked on my phone for free. I had a lose screen tightened, the phone backed up, wiped and reloaded twice, and a battery replaced for free. I just went in and asked nicely without causing a scene.

Additionally, after your warranty expires,your screen issue IS covered IF you have the Asurion policy on your phone that Verizon offers for $4.99 a month. For insurance claims you go directly through Asurion - Verizon hands you a book upon purchase and there a tons available at the counter.

Assurion covers: Loss, theft, physical damage, water damage, mechanical or electrical break down after the expiration of the manufacturers warranty.

You must pay a $50 deductible and get 2 claims in a year for a $1500 maximum per claim. For me it's worth it due to the nature of my job.

Verizon 9530
Old 02-07-2009, 02:51 PM   #7
jsconyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by XelhaBB View Post
Now that's prevarication at its finest. Why is everyone afraid to simply say "Yes", with regard to the beta issue.

#1. Scher, every major website that discusses beta programs, including Verizon, unequivocally warns that it will void your warranty if an unofficial OS is discovered loaded into your phone. The bottom line is YES - unless you wipe your phone and reload the most recently officially released OS. For now that is .75. So the most honest answer is YES if your carrier figures it out. So cover your tracks.
Maybe you should read this. Both you and the OP : http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...dispelled.html
Old 02-07-2009, 03:03 PM   #8
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

Jsconyers, I love this forum and would be totally lost without it. I am on it daily.

But when it comes to being honest and clear, Ill stick with the words of the carrier that services my unit. I am sure that BB Forums won't provide a replacement unit if I get turned away by Verizon.

It's great that for you, the words of this Moderator is law. But even he concedes with the same caveat - wipe the beta and reinstall the official OS.

So your argument is still lacking. In the end you are still forced to wipe the beta before getting a warranty claim honored. Additionally, let's say the phone becomes so temperamental that it won't allow the wipe option. What then? Warranty void.

Nuff said.

Verizon 9530
Old 02-07-2009, 03:36 PM   #9
jsconyers

I am not saying that his words are "law" as you stated. What I am saying, is that I work with BlackBerry devices from all carriers and pretty much all models, day in and day out.

I've had to send devices back to Verizon, as well as other carriers. In MY experiences, I have never had an issue loading, or removing beta OS's from devices. I speak from my personal experiences. If you believe that loading beta OS's on your device will void your warranty, then stick by your beliefs.

This is way off topic. As for the OP, it is a judgement call, seeing that you already have the beta OS on your device, downgrade back to the official Verizon version.
Old 02-07-2009, 06:01 PM   #10
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

Nah, Ill stick with .99 for now.

You win...

Verizon 9530
Old 02-07-2009, 06:05 PM   #11
jsconyers

It isn't about win/lose. It is a topic that is up for debate (in the appropriate forum). There are a lot of users on the fence about this very topic. Let us know how .99 works for you.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:10 AM   #12
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

Jsconyers, I am about a week into .99 on my replacement Storm (she is Canadian).

I was intially nervous because my first model was back to running quite well on .75. I had a bout with touch issues due to a cold screen. However once it warmed up the phone was running quite stable.

As mentioned in another post, I was at a VZW mall store and an employee loaded .99 in my replacement Storm. All is running pretty stable so far.

Being totally honest. I am not seeing a heaping difference from .75. The phone runs stable but not noticeably faster. Unlike .75, screen orientation does happen consistently but I am on the fence with regard to it being faster. The one big difference is full qwerty in portrait mode however its not something anyone is going to get fast on being that the keys are smaller and not good for the big fingered folks.

I also get the clock icon much more than I ever did in .75. Additionally, .99 doesn't seem to care for Yahoo messenger. It has frozen on me twice - requiring a battery pull - and glitches when negotiating from instant message to main screen mode. The glitches are just visual but the program still rights itself and continues to function.

Going to .99 is good for those who like to SMS in landscape mode for the full qwerty because the screen glitches are gone. .75 rountinely glitched during rotation requiring several tilts to get a good landscape keyboard. That no longer happens with .99.

The camera also runs a little different and seems to use the flash differently. My photos actually are not as crisp due to this change. But, I think this is something I will be able to manipulate over time with the settings. I had just gotten used to how .75 ran and used the physical button rather than the touch screen to take shots.

For me .99 made one good necessary fix. Screen orientation. It occurs consistently.

Verizon 9530
Closed Thread