Old 05-08-2006, 08:45 AM   #201
omkhar
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
PIN: 0xDEADBEEF
Carrier: Bell Mobility

Please Login to Remove!

Notes about tethering:

All data connectivity on the Blackberry suspends when you go into IP Modem mode.
Using voice on the Blackberry when it's tethered will suspend tethered data
The Blackberry doesn't seem to charge whilst tethering - or if it does, it's really slow

Anyone else notice that the Bell WAP browser doesn't like wap.blackberryforums.com? I Get a 406 error. Or is it just me?
Old 05-08-2006, 08:53 AM   #202
jefwic
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by omkhar
Anyone else notice that the Bell WAP browser doesn't like wap.blackberryforums.com? I Get a 406 error. Or is it just me?
It's just you. Well it works fine for me anyway. Check all the browser options. For the WAP browser, I am in Openwave Gateway Emulation Mode.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:40 AM   #203
omkhar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefwic
It's just you. Well it works fine for me anyway. Check all the browser options. For the WAP browser, I am in Openwave Gateway Emulation Mode.
Wierd I'm using the same setting - I wonder if it could be something funky on the BES side.

On another note I'm a little PO'ed that I'm not getting EV1X at our corp head office in Markham, Ontario. I go *outside* the building - EV1X... inside, 1X.

I know we have a tower in the building too - ah well, I suppose I could always use the 100mbit Ethernet connection with my laptop instead
Old 05-08-2006, 11:17 AM   #204
Jim Bond
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700

What is annoying is that Bell requires you to take your unit to a store for the upgrade. When you've got 60 7250's in your office, walking them all to a store for an upgrade is a royal PITA....
Old 05-08-2006, 11:40 AM   #205
markhutchison
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8330
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bond
What is annoying is that Bell requires you to take your unit to a store for the upgrade. When you've got 60 7250's in your office, walking them all to a store for an upgrade is a royal PITA....
With that size fleet Bell Mobility can arrange an in-house visit to do the upgrades. Talk to your corporate rep about setting up a service visit.

If you do not have a specific corporate rep assigned to your account please message me and I will find someone in your area.

Mark Hutchison
pin: 300B6852
Old 05-08-2006, 12:17 PM   #206
Jim Bond
Thumbs Must Hurt

I'll do that. Of course our corporate rep didn't offer this up front! LOL
Old 05-08-2006, 12:21 PM   #207
markhutchison

Wink

Quote:
I'll do that. Of course our corporate rep didn't offer this up front! LOL
He/she may not be aware that they have the option since the PRL update kits were distributed, primarily, to storefronts.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:34 PM   #208
Jim Bond
Thumbs Must Hurt

I've been bugging them to give ME one of these kits so I can do it all myself!

He's not biting so far! LOL
Old 05-08-2006, 12:43 PM   #209
markhutchison

Wink

Quote:
I've been bugging them to give ME one of these kits so I can do it all myself!

That one's a tricky point ... there are a lot of customers with the technical expertise to carry out the updates unassisted. However, Bell Mobility would have to release the Master Service Lock codes and programming instructions for each device which is currently against policy. Most reps would be very hesitant to give out that sort of information.

Also, if a customer is given access to tools that could potentially damage their device there are some liability issues to consider. Sometimes, on the larger scale, it is better to err on the side of caution.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:46 PM   #210
Jim Bond
Thumbs Must Hurt

Yeah yeah.. Master code, shmaster code.. LOL

I figured there was some REAL reason behind this, other than to make my life miserable!! LOL
Old 05-08-2006, 12:51 PM   #211
markhutchison

Wink

Quote:
Yeah yeah.. Master code, shmaster code.. LOL

I figured there was some REAL reason behind this, other than to make my life miserable!! LOL
I feel your pain ... I really do ...

If it helps, it's really less about the keeping the MSLs secret and more about not getting reprimanded by the head office ...
Old 05-08-2006, 12:59 PM   #212
Jim Bond
Thumbs Must Hurt

Well no.. That really doesn't help much.. LOL Thanks for trying to placate me anyways.. LOLOL

I'm on my way to Bell store number 3 now to see if they actually have the damn upgrade available!
The first two in downtown TO, didn't have it yet. Walking to the eaton centre now.. At least it's nice out!
Old 05-08-2006, 01:28 PM   #213
~Mark~
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7250

Went to the only BW store in Windsor capable of doing the upgrade Friday, they said they had the kit but the tech didn't install it yet. The rep said they would give me a call when they had it setup. They called this afternoon and said they couldn't 'download' the software into their system. After a few more questions to them, I'm assuming it's an error installing the program. Anyways their only solution was for me to send my BB out to be flashed. I've been waiting for this upgrade since March so I can tether to my laptop and I'm very hesitant about sending it away. It might be the only solution since I don't want to drive 2 hours to London. I don't understand how their system can be different from any other BW store.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:55 PM   #214
omkhar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Mark~
I don't understand how their system can be different from any other BW store.
Spyware and pr0n
Old 05-08-2006, 08:19 PM   #215
~Mark~

Quote:
Spyware and pr0n

Could be... who knows. I'm gonna call data tomorrow and see what they can do for me. Why send it to only one store in the city if they can't even install the software.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:52 AM   #216
Blue Pirate

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Bell Canada

Hey new to the forum! Love the topics and informed members! BlackBerry 7250's are the hottest thing where I work (Best Buy) and I've been dieing to know how to tether my berry since I live in a no high speed area The fastest internet is on my berry. Of course I’m also super excited and have been waiting patiently for EVDO in my area, now tomorrow I’ll go get my berry flashed!
Old 05-09-2006, 07:44 AM   #217
mdthomas8

Quote:
That's a load of crap c/o Bell. My BBerry is almost a year old. No issues with the 1XEV update, 15mins - 10 of which was spent watching my BBerry reboot
I agree... my bb is about a year old as well, and no problems during the upgrade. I went to Woodbine though... so maybe they fixed the problem in the back room without my knowledge.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:52 AM   #218
mdthomas8

Quote:
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7250/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/109)

Well, I see a couple of issues with it.

1) As a home VoIP subscriber I can attest the bane of VoIP is jitter. This will play a larger role than bandwidth.
2) Horsepower - will the meek procs in the 7250 which struggle with CSS laden HTML have the power to run any VoIP codec.
3) I don't belive any provider (esp Bell) would support this on their network. Can you imgaine how much profit they would loose?

I have tethered my 7250 in an EVDO area and used VoIP progs on my laptop with reasonable success (Cisco Softphone, and Skype)
Ummm.... check out this:
http://www.sipquest.com/nortel/docum..._Assistant.pdf

I actually work for Bell developing VoIP solutions for Enterprise, and have used something similar to this on the BB... no Voice in the past - only IM, presence, click-to-call, etc. but Voice could be on the horizon.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:22 AM   #219
omkhar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdthomas8
Ummm.... check out this:
http://www.sipquest.com/nortel/docum..._Assistant.pdf

I actually work for Bell developing VoIP solutions for Enterprise, and have used something similar to this on the BB... no Voice in the past - only IM, presence, click-to-call, etc. but Voice could be on the horizon.
I'd be interested to see it in action - here's hoping
Old 05-09-2006, 05:01 PM   #220
NumNums

Model: Z10
PIN: 2671618F

Quote:
That's a load of crap c/o Bell. My BBerry is almost a year old. No issues with the 1XEV update, 15mins - 10 of which was spent watching my BBerry reboot
Perhaps we are being a little absolute?

Coming from a tech support background, I would not put automatically assume that because the issues are being experienced with older BB's that all older BB's have the issue.

I'll concede that my wording could have been better - perhaps I should have said that the problems they experienced have all been with units over 5 months old.

I'm glad to hear that it is not all of the old ones with the same problem as mine.

these two units were on the free hardware promotion - maybe it's only the free ones with the problem

Cheers.
Closed Thread