Old 08-17-2009, 08:41 AM   #21
jsntrenkler
BlackBerry Blooded

Model: 9630
PIN: ????
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Please Login to Remove!

Wirelessly posted

Keep us posted, I am interested to see if you indeed did get a bad apple.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:00 AM   #22
shoppergirl
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Prev Alltel...now Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsntrenkler View Post
Wirelessly posted

Keep us posted, I am interested to see if you indeed did get a bad apple.
I will keep you posted after we go to Verizon store today. I think I may try one replacement. Then if that one still has problems, I may consider the 8330 just because I don't want to have to be in the store getting a replacement over and over. But I do know you can get a lemon in anything.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:09 AM   #23
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

I've read of more than a few folks getting Tours with some issues and then getting a replacement that fixed all the issues. Hopefully this will cure the problems you're facing. My Tour heated up once to what I thought was an excessive level, but a battery pull fixed it and it has not happened again.

I get some minor freezes but only with Viigo, so I assume it's a software issue and will be cured in an OS update. It's so minor I can certainly wait for an update. The freezes last 4 or 5 seconds and only happen when I've just opened Viigo and it's updating.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:16 AM   #24
shoppergirl
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
I've read of more than a few folks getting Tours with some issues and then getting a replacement that fixed all the issues. Hopefully this will cure the problems you're facing. My Tour heated up once to what I thought was an excessive level, but a battery pull fixed it and it has not happened again.

I get some minor freezes but only with Viigo, so I assume it's a software issue and will be cured in an OS update. It's so minor I can certainly wait for an update. The freezes last 4 or 5 seconds and only happen when I've just opened Viigo and it's updating.
Well I am willing to try to be patient (which is not easy for me) and give this new phone a day or two to see if some of the issues work themselves out. My daughter's phone was doing some of the things I am experiencing like the trackball being wacky and hers seems to be cured after she has used it for a day or two. So I am going to see how mine goes today and if it is still acting wacky when my husband goes to the store today, then I will see about a replacement. However, I am almost afraid to get a replacement because it may have worse problems than what I have now.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:20 AM   #25
TheMiz
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 30da78f6
Carrier: Alltel Phone VZW Carrier

Word is Alltel's version of the TOUR launches Aug 20th
Old 08-18-2009, 11:26 AM   #26
blakeall

The Tour does have a lot of new features that I LOVE - such as the upgraded camera and browser and the ability to customize text message ringers for individual people. However, I am having many of the same issues that other users are having...it drags when trying to switch between applications; the trackball doesn't keep up; and it locks up for no reason and you have to remove the battery and it takes 20 minutes to reboot.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:43 AM   #27
TheMiz
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 30da78f6
Carrier: Alltel Phone VZW Carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeall View Post
The Tour does have a lot of new features that I LOVE - such as the upgraded camera and browser and the ability to customize text message ringers for individual people. However, I am having many of the same issues that other users are having...it drags when trying to switch between applications; the trackball doesn't keep up; and it locks up for no reason and you have to remove the battery and it takes 20 minutes to reboot.

I too get lock ups for no reason , just today I was locked up and did the battery pull no less than 5 times before it would completly load, OH btw mine is the
BB 8830
Old 08-18-2009, 10:33 PM   #28
shoppergirl
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMiz View Post
I too get lock ups for no reason , just today I was locked up and did the battery pull no less than 5 times before it would completly load, OH btw mine is the
BB 8830
Sorry you are having trouble with the 8830. I had mine for almost 2 yrs and never had lock ups with it. I am having that problem with the Tour unfortunately.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:00 AM   #29
complexx
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: VZW

It's worth it to swap your phone for a new one if your experiencing problems. Yes, it's a pain to go into the store but it's worth the effort. They will give you a new phone and your problems will be solved.

Couple of side notes. Keep your hands clean when using it, as just a small amount of dirt will screw up the trackball. Secondly, the phone is a little slow out of the box, it does speed up a bit after some use.

I find this phone to be markedly better than the Curve and 8830.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:16 AM   #30
bigdaadio
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Tour
PIN: chin pennies
Carrier: sprint

Im with you, on the ditching.

Gonna give device another 23 days though.
When I first went to the BB trackball, the TMO PEARL, I hated it, but very soon got used to it, then finally LOVE it. After this quirky left to right action on my SECOND 9630, I'm ready to wave the white flag.

As far as the advice to go get a a "training session" --AYKM?
A newbie on this forum knows more than all but a select few retail peeps.

Some other " TOUR Downers" I've experienced
1> No Phone as a Modem-(with sprint) I used all the time with Curve, and it worked great...Aftermarket "tetherberry" is a great program that works>>>>
2> SMS messages arent in the "messages" icon folder, they are in a separate folder...
3> Battery life isnt even close to previous models- yes I've been thru 3-5 cycles
4> My Transmit audio is terrible, better with headset, but MUSHY (anybody else complaining of this ?)
5> I have a hard time with the icons, looking very simular, altho maybe a new theme would take care of this...?
6> Keyboard is very difficult for my Fat thumbs, im sure this just takes getting used to

Other than ALL these things i love it ( this is BB model #8)...lol
( hey I'm all ears if I'm missing someything here)

Last edited by bigdaadio; 08-20-2009 at 11:19 AM..
Old 08-20-2009, 11:25 AM   #31
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaadio View Post
Some other " TOUR Downers" I've experienced
1> No Phone as a Modem-(with sprint) I used all the time with Curve, and it worked great...Aftermarket "tetherberry" is a great program that works>>>>
This is a Sprint issue when you have the Simply Everything Plan, AFAIK.
Quote:
2> SMS messages arent in the "messages" icon folder, they are in a separate folder...
Messages > Options > General Options > Email & SMS = Combined
Quote:
5> I have a hard time with the icons, looking very simular, altho maybe a new theme would take care of this...?
A new theme will take care of this.
Quote:
6> Keyboard is very difficult for my Fat thumbs, im sure this just takes getting used to
Give it a few days and you will be used to it.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 08-20-2009, 05:10 PM   #32
complexx
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsconyers View Post
A new theme will take care of this.
It could be a long time before new themes are available for this. Hell, its been over a month already, nothing. I'm in dire need of some good themes to make this device more productive for my lifestyle.

I agree the audio output is way too quiet and does not sound good.

Battery life is a bit lacking.

You get used to the icons. I use maybe 1/3 of them anyway, so I just put the ones i use frequently at the top and I've pretty much got them memorized enough that I'm not making mistakes. That didn't take long.

Ohh yeah, and left-right scrolling sucks when using it with text. It's too slow! Can't increase sensitivity because then it's too fast for scrolling through icons. It needs to be a bit more dynamic.

8830->8330->9630

Last edited by complexx; 08-20-2009 at 05:12 PM..
Old 08-20-2009, 05:13 PM   #33
vinny8028

Model: 9530
Carrier: verizon/att

storm 2 comming september id ditch
Old 08-20-2009, 10:02 PM   #34
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

Quote:
Originally Posted by complexx View Post
It could be a long time before new themes are available for this. Hell, its been over a month already, nothing. I'm in dire need of some good themes to make this device more productive for my lifestyle.
New themes have been available for about a week now. RIM released the updated theme building software last week. Check the Media Center forum here.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:47 AM   #35
shoppergirl
Thumbs Must Hurt

Well I couldn't stand the phone that I had any longer...the issues were increasing and driving me crazier than I am normally!!

I went to the Verizon store last night, presented my crazy phone, the rep that usually waits on us worked with it a little, looked at me and said, well do you want another Tour or something else like a Curve? She said this phone definitely has problems. So I said well I wanna try another Tour and see if
I can get one that is glitch free.

So she got me a new one right out of the box, set everything up and so we will
see how this one does!

The other one was having some issue that everytime I dialed a number in my contacts list it said I needed to pick a country code for the call and I had to go through doing that with each call before it would complete the call. I tried going into the menu and making the US the default but it would not save the setting. Then last night when we got to the store, it finally decided to save the setting after I had tried all afternoon to save the setting.

I think it was possessed with the BB gremlins!!!

Anyway it's gone now...we'll see how #2 works out! Thanks all for your input and comments.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:32 AM   #36
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

I'm glad to hear you got another Tour because it's a great device. Let us know how it works out.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:16 PM   #37
shoppergirl
Thumbs Must Hurt

Well this one started out better than #1 but it seems to be experiencing the same issues. Last night I tried everything but the trackball would not go to the right...finally I got into the Options and changed the horizontal sensitivity to 90 and that is some better but still not what it should be. Again I am getting the freezing up on screens and when I am typing text messages.

And again I am going to give it a few days to see if the kinks work themselves out but if not, we will be returning to Verizon for phone #3. I guess I was just spoiled because I got my 8830 and never had problems with it. Once in a blue moon my trackball would go haywire but I would use canned air to blow it off good and voila it worked again like a champ. I tried the canned air last night, however, this one shouldn't have anything behind it but that didn't help a thing.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:24 PM   #38
Stale Pancake
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoppergirl View Post
Well this one started out better than #1 but it seems to be experiencing the same issues. Last night I tried everything but the trackball would not go to the right...finally I got into the Options and changed the horizontal sensitivity to 90 and that is some better but still not what it should be. Again I am getting the freezing up on screens and when I am typing text messages.

And again I am going to give it a few days to see if the kinks work themselves out but if not, we will be returning to Verizon for phone #3. I guess I was just spoiled because I got my 8830 and never had problems with it. Once in a blue moon my trackball would go haywire but I would use canned air to blow it off good and voila it worked again like a champ. I tried the canned air last night, however, this one shouldn't have anything behind it but that didn't help a thing.
Starting to scare me. I love the Tour. I'd hate for some of what your experiencing to hit me. So far, things have been perfect.

Could it be that the problem is not the track ball, but a stall in software? What apps are installed that are not default?
Old 08-22-2009, 12:44 PM   #39
shoppergirl
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stale Pancake View Post
Starting to scare me. I love the Tour. I'd hate for some of what your experiencing to hit me. So far, things have been perfect.

Could it be that the problem is not the track ball, but a stall in software? What apps are installed that are not default?
I have not loaded anything...the only apps are the ones that came on the Tour. Well if yours is good, then you're probably fine. My problems with the first one were immediate and with this one were after maybe 24 hrs or less. My daughter's is not having the problems that I am having so I think it is a hit or miss...some people get ones with no problems and others get the ones with many problems.

Oh well if it keeps messing up, I'll take it back til I get one that doesn't have glitches.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:45 PM   #40
bbaddikt
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoppergirl View Post
My daughter and I both got new Tours on Friday. She had an 8330 and I had an 8830. She had a few issues once in a while with her 8330 but I had none with my 8830. However, in order for her to get a new phone with Verizon, I had to get one...long story. Anyway we got the Tour. Can I say so far in less than 48 hours, I hate the Tour!!! It locks up constantly, the battery life is bad and the trackball sticks all the time. I have changed the sensitivity on the trackball without much help.

I am considering us both going back to Verizon and getting Curves as I cannot go back to my 8830 since it was on Alltel. I know they will replace the Tour if it has problems but who wants to get a new phone and have to put all your stuff back on it every week...that is a pain.

Any thoughts on this or has anyone else ditched the Tour and gotten either the Storm or a Curve?? I think the Storm has some issues as well. I wish I still had MY 8830!!
I had the same exact issue with the trackball on the Tour. The Verizon customer care idiots told me to take it into a store. The VZW stores are manned by some contract company Flextronics who are a bunch of retards. They accused that I had "water damage" on the phone, when all there was a 2 spots of perspiration on the outside of the back cover (not inside the device) due to it being a hot day (95 degree F) that day. So the Flextronics bozos refused to exchange the phone. I asked for the manager. He called me next day and I showed him how the trackball was defective and also how the back cover of the unit was loose which lets moisture and elements get through. I had print outs of forums from the internet that has reports of both these issues from various BB tour owners. The manager reviewed everything and was kind enough to exchange the device for me. I got lucky with this particular manager. Verizon should be ashamed to sell an expensive device like the BB Tour with so many defects in the device (bad trackball, loose battery cover etc.) They have absolutely no quality control. Same goes for RIM - this is what happens when they manufacture these devices in China, where you get cheap or no quality control ! I doubt that I will buy another BB ever again, unless their quality control improves !
Closed Thread