BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 02:37 PM   #1
indianpryd
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular
Default getting a blackberry for tmobile... but which one?

Please Login to Remove!

hey all
im 16 years old, and ive saved up enought $$ to buy a blackberry. I know they're more of a buisness device, but I think id do good with one for now, and it seems pretty convenient to have. I am currently with tmobile, but i hear they offer 3 types of blackberrys! They all seem to do the same thing, but im looking for something that you can install a lot of cool apps on, and still look stylish at the same time. im a big AIM freak, and i like to text and do AIM a lot, and i like to switch themes once in a while. Of course, i want the one i pick to look decent, and to work very well as a phone. I do need international capability(able to make calls, read email, etc) because my family travels to India, Europe, Dubai, and other countries frequently, so it has to be quadband or triband

please recommend me a good blackberry with tmobile, that has good apps that you can add on, good add on AIM software and theme capability, and of course, it must be a good phone

thank you very much
Old 06-24-2006, 04:06 PM   #2
tomryan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7250/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

8700g.. With I'm and quad band needs, you couldn't ask for a better fit.
Old 06-24-2006, 05:29 PM   #3
Jrod

Model: 8700G

I just got the 8700g today and I'm excited to get using it. It's pretty cool so far. I'm just looking for a BES host right now...
Old 06-24-2006, 05:37 PM   #4
twharms
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: Tmo

i agree, the 8700g seems to be your best bet for what you want. Mp3 ringtones, nice color screen, since the 8700 is the newest model they make the best apps for them, etc.

PIN: 2031512F
Old 06-24-2006, 05:51 PM   #5
diegosalinas
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310

8700g is good as that is really a great device with its screen, EDGE access, Intel processor, and streamlined size...plus you can always get a 3rd party IM client for that IMing you like

plus tmobile has the cheapest BB data plans around

the 7105t has a builtin IM client but it does not have EDGE capabilities...for browsing it rides GPRS and that is too slow for me....esp since i have been used to EDGE

so 8700g is really a great device for someone new to BB

Last edited by diegosalinas; 06-24-2006 at 05:55 PM..
Old 06-24-2006, 06:55 PM   #6
indianpryd

i hear some apps like the AIM stuff, the MP3 stuff, and other various things arent compatible like this stuff here( to see what i mean, see the Blackberry FAQ , and under that look for the Blackberry Killer Software thread)with the 8700g on Tmobile.

am i wrong?
does the 8700g have compatability with all of the Hosted BES stuff
can you tell me somthing that this blackberry cant do, compared to the 7290 or the 7105t?

thank you

Last edited by indianpryd; 06-24-2006 at 07:00 PM..
Old 06-24-2006, 10:30 PM   #7
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie

8700 hands down. Lots of info at my tips site. You will want a more robust IM client anyway.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:46 AM   #8
twharms
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Tmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianpryd
does the 8700g have compatability with all of the Hosted BES stuff
can you tell me somthing that this blackberry cant do, compared to the 7290 or the 7105t?

thank you
Since you're 16 and you don't work for a corporation or anything like that, you don't have to worry about BES, that's strictly for companies that issue blackberries to their employees.

if you search these threads, you'll see limitations to the 72xx the 71xx, etc. but the 8700 seems to be a pretty well rounded device that has all the functionality and personalization options you will ever need.

PIN: 2031512F
Old 06-25-2006, 08:54 AM   #9
indianpryd

yeah
i suppose your right
but that hosted thing, i can afford, and if it makes my BB faster, why not go for it?

is the 8700G capable of that?
and it can do all the modifications and software upgrades and you can install any app on it like the other BB's?

sorry if im asking the same questions
Old 06-25-2006, 10:46 AM   #10
noeffectx
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: 123456
Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
yeah
i suppose your right
but that hosted thing, i can afford, and if it makes my BB faster, why not go for it?

is the 8700G capable of that?
and it can do all the modifications and software upgrades and you can install any app on it like the other BB's?

sorry if im asking the same questions
You need BIS data plan not BES.

BES are only good for people who works on a company who has BES system on their company/corp network. well unless your parents own the company and has a BES system running. then let your parents hook you up with that. but if they dont, just get BIS and dont worry about BES.

get the 8700g or the sidekick3 is comming out pretty soon, you might want to check on that too. if u want mp3 player, aim/msn/yahoo, email, web browsing and camera.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/blackberry/
Old 06-25-2006, 11:51 AM   #11
StevenJSilverman

Model: 8700c

I'm 15 and I have a blackberry 8700c through Cingular and I love it; its the same thing as the 8700g and Im telling you hands down its the best thing ive ever used! I have Verichat for AIM and its great and txting and email is amazing on it! a lot of my friends have it so we keep it and touch and its a great tool to keep in touch with family and friends! if you have any ?'s feel free to email me: [email address]
Old 06-26-2006, 12:35 AM   #12
indianpryd

just ordered my blackberry 8700g
and tomorrow im ordering a 7105t for my dad for his bday

is that better than the other one that tmobile offers?
Old 06-26-2006, 01:18 AM   #13
idealist
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8800
PIN: 240F8BEC
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
just ordered my blackberry 8700g
and tomorrow im ordering a 7105t for my dad for his bday

is that better than the other one that tmobile offers?
I am on TMO and you picked the best one that TMO offers for your needs. You get great screen resolution, nice form factor, edge speed, and a ton of free applications you can find on this site, plus you can use it as a modem if you have a laptop (comes in handy if you don't have a dedicated wi-fi card, and you can use it anywhere).

Its nice to see that you are interested in the BB 87g, I am a grad student and work full time. If I had this during my undergrad I would have loved it (good chat programs), but take everyones advice and get the 8700g.

PS Stintsonddog's tips are great, good lunk and enjoy. Your father might like the 8700g also.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:12 PM   #14
bclopez

Model: 7103e

8700G is a good model or 7105t.. but 8700g is a little more stable

Verizon 7130E
PIN: 3011EB68
Old 06-28-2006, 02:24 PM   #15
applerokr

Model: n.a
Carrier: sprint

when using the IM client on the blackberry with t-mo, do they count the IMs as Txt messages like some carriers do? I'm thinking about getting the basic unlimited internet with blackberry, but want to know how IM'ing and txt messages are treated.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:39 PM   #16
cdysthe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrod
I just got the 8700g today and I'm excited to get using it. It's pretty cool so far. I'm just looking for a BES host right now...
If you use Yahoo! Mail, or have your mail forwarded (from your IPS or other mail host) to a Yahoo! Mail account, and set T-Mobile's BIS to collect the Yahoo! Mail account you will have instant mail push just like BES on top of which outgoing mail is stored without any trouble in the Yahoo! Mail account's outbox.

Only issue is that if you want to handle more than one e-mail account on your BB you will need one Yahoo! Mail account for each address to be able to reply with the right from address on the BB.

I have now paid for two Yahoo! Mail accounts, the basic plan, so that I can reply with my ISP address from Yahoo! Mail's web interface (they won't let you do that for free). All in all I now feel I have a pretty slick setup where I seamlessly can handle my two accounts either from my BB 8700g. or from the Yahoo! Mail web interface on any computer.

Even if you find a good BES host the account will only handle one e-mail address without having reply address issues on the BB. With the Yahoo! Mail approach you will get a much cheaper solution (I pay $40 a year for two accounts. Cheapest BES I saw was $10 a month).

All this unless you need some of the other enterprise stuff BES offers. I don't so I am happy with the Yahoo! Mail solution.

//C
Old 06-28-2006, 10:25 PM   #17
noeffectx
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: 123456
Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by applerokr
when using the IM client on the blackberry with t-mo, do they count the IMs as Txt messages like some carriers do? I'm thinking about getting the basic unlimited internet with blackberry, but want to know how IM'ing and txt messages are treated.
if your using the built-in all in one IM's from tmobile. Yes it counts as txt.
if your using YM! by RIM or Google Talk by RIM also then no. this two software from RIM are using data only.

you can get them both at mobile.blackberry.com using your BB browser.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/blackberry/
Old 06-29-2006, 04:04 PM   #18
applerokr

Model: n.a
Carrier: sprint

are you able to get an AIM, yahoo and MSN client on the BB, without using T-Mo's service?
Old 06-29-2006, 04:25 PM   #19
Jrod

Model: 8700G

Quote:
Originally Posted by applerokr
are you able to get an AIM, yahoo and MSN client on the BB, without using T-Mo's service?
Yes, you can go to www dot blackberry dot com to download the Yahoo AIM client for BB.

www.WCRTDetroit.com
"Success By Association"
Entreprenuer club
Old 06-29-2006, 04:41 PM   #20
Wishdemon
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: T-Mobile
Talking

I've had my 8700g from t-mo for the past three weeks now and it is fantastic. I unfortunately have not had the opportunity to use any others but I have compared mine to co-workers/friends' bb's and mine definitely tops theirs by far.
Closed Thread