BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 04:03 PM   #81
leemcarthur

Model: 8700c

Please Login to Remove!

I agree with Mistwalker, I have no need for a crappy camera on my device. If its going to be there, 2.0MP is the bare minimum requirement for me. Im sure one day we will all have 4.0 MP's embedded in our PDA's, until then, no need!
Old 08-01-2006, 04:25 PM   #82
xxhiyanxx
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7520
Carrier: nextel

so treo's are banned in some places because some models have camera's and some dont'? didnt' know that. i thought that this was for companies that bought the equipment for their employees knowing that it didnt' already have a camera.

i want a camera in a blackberry. no amount of other people's *****ing is goign to make me NOT want a camera on a blackberry. i have my reasons for wanting one. it looks like i'm goign to get my wish. If that's the bug in someone else's cereal then that sucks for them
Old 08-01-2006, 05:02 PM   #83
HuwSy

Model: 9800
PIN: .
Carrier: Orange

Mainly government and the almost government secrative companies and rnd labs have a no camera policy within there buildings, for obvious reasons. They'l just have to stop there current policy of "oh its a blackberry its fine" and look at the device to see if its a camera or just not allow any phones in there buildings.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:13 PM   #84
Dale Emery
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130e
Carrier: Verizon
Default The point is moot, but......

I understand both sides of this argument, but it's important to point out that there are differently levels of security. Since BB'a are allowed in, any person who wants to get a camera into a truly secure area would only have to place a BB shell over another device or some other form of manipulation. Gyms, health clinics, non top-level government agencies may want a reasonable level of security while realizing they aren't completely secure. Thus, they allow BB's but not others. For true security, no PDA devices or electronics of any sort should be allowed.

I know that when a security agent sees my BB it's allowed through, but I often think what a breach it could be. As this industry advances, there will be more and more of these devices and I'm not sure that a security guard can be expected to know which devices are camera-enabled.

RIM is coming out with a camera model, so I guess there's really no point in arguing about the concept now. My only hope is that any BB that has a camera is designed so that it doesn't look like the devices that do not have cameras. Maybe they make them silver like a treo or maybe they are PINK, I don't know. For all I care, they could put one of those old square flashes on the top of them.

Whatever they do, I hope that the new devices will continue to allow the guards (who we shouldn't expect to have to know all these devices) to be able to differentiate at a glance. RIM has to grow into new markets without alienating the current client base. Let's keep our fingers crossed. Thoughts?
Old 08-06-2006, 04:18 AM   #85
Boy Genius
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: FFFFFFF
Carrier: AT&T

Why do you care, there is a camera blackberry, it is being released in the fall. Deal with it, unhappy switch to something else. This whole argument for months is insane, my work place doesn't allow it, mine doesn't care, it takes crappy pictures. Just relax and take a picture with your brand CAMERA BLACKBERRY. (Had to do that)

The Boy Genius Report
Old 08-06-2006, 04:28 AM   #86
HuwSy

We'v got to mone about something... Its the human condition. lol.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:34 AM   #87
tankee531

PIN: xxxx
Carrier: Singtel

i agree with boygenius. why complain, isn't is good to have more device options?
Old 08-07-2006, 05:13 AM   #88
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemcarthur
I agree with Mistwalker, I have no need for a crappy camera on my device. If its going to be there, 2.0MP is the bare minimum requirement for me. Im sure one day we will all have 4.0 MP's embedded in our PDA's, until then, no need!
The camera is bad to the bone on this new device I took a few pictures with it and they were amazing
Old 08-07-2006, 06:34 AM   #89
LSmith4285
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7290

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasFlier
Its not a matter of some people around here being just plain paranoid, although it MAY be a matter of some (other) people around here not paying much attention to what's been said. For the record, one more time - there are MANY government sites and more than a few corporate sites that will allow NO cell phones or PDAs on premises except BlackBerry's - whether they have cameras or removable memory not. Why? Because its not reasonable to expect security guards at the gates/doors to be familiar with each and every make and model of phone/PDA that someone is carrying to know whether or not they have a camera or memory slot, so its easier to just ban them ALL. BlackBerry's are allowed because they know that NO BlackBerry has a camera or removable memory.

So a new model BlackBerry WITH camera and/or removable memory will almost certainly result in ALL BlackBerry's being banned from at least some of these sites. Is that clear enough? Its not "just plain paranoid" or "lack of reason" of the posters here, its simple fact. And its not something that restricting the camera or memory via BES policy solves completely either. My BlackBerry is on ONLY BIS, I have no BES at all. I'm a consultant though, and have been to some of those restricted sites. My BIS-only BlackBerry is allowed onsite - again, because they KNOW it can't have a camera or memory slot - its a BlackBerry!
Well it looks like you won't be able to take your blackberry in with you now.

At the end of the day there is nothing you can do about it.

RIM need to move in directions to suit customer demands. Yes they had all the government and secure site contracts but companies need to expand their markets and profits. They have taken over the secure market so they need to look else where.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:35 AM   #90
HuwSy

Anyone know the specs on the device like processor speed, camera res and media format capabilitys (please play flash interactivly... lol) or anythin yet?
Old 08-07-2006, 10:35 AM   #91
mpallo

Model: 8320
Carrier: TMO

Anyone want to take a stab at how much they think T-Mobile will offer this for with a new contract when it is first released?

I need to start saving
Old 08-07-2006, 11:28 AM   #92
stealthx32

Model: 8220
Carrier: T-Mobile

Who knows, but wait 3 months later, and I bet it will be free after contract & rebates from Amazon.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:51 PM   #93
freck

Model: 8700c

Let's just face facts people. RIM needs to evolve. It is simple as that or, otherwise, they will continue to lose market share. They know this and the "stealth" is an attempt to ensure that companies like Palm (with its Treo), Moto (Q), and others, do not continue to steal their market share.
Closed Thread