BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 01:37 PM   #61
smalls
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Anyone notice that the time on the events are completely wrong, or is it just me?
Old 12-13-2007, 01:42 PM   #62
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Another one here with existing events not syncing up to Google, I've got maybe 60 which just won't go upstream from my BB to Google.

EDIT: just thought of this but haven't tried yet, someone else can take the plunge. Use the Desktop tool to backup your Calendar items as a text CSV file; delete all the on-BB calendar items. Install Google Sync. Now re-import the CSV file of your contacts and I bet the sync will start sending them to Google (since it's like you had typed them in by hand, so to speak); I had this same sync problem with my SyncML after a device upgrade and "fixed" it this way, it has something to do with internal sync anchors and the code & stuff...

Last edited by rivviepop; 12-13-2007 at 01:46 PM..
Old 12-13-2007, 01:44 PM   #63
Danabw
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIdad View Post
I think Google Synch is designed to run in the background for continuous synching so you really don't have to exit the program.

If you do, and the added events are removed, and then later sign back in the events are added back to your BB calendar. (I think--haven't tested this)
What I found was that:

1. Only two events that were entered on my phone, not sync'd from Outlook, were sync'd to the Google calendar

2. When I closed Google Sync on the BB and accepted it deleting sync'd events, those two events were deleted from my BB! (They were left on my Google calendar.)

This is not acceptable behavior for a sync app...I don't understand why Google would set this up to require removal of events from my phone if I close their app on the phone.

This is a deal killer for me...is anyone else seeing this?
Old 12-13-2007, 02:16 PM   #64
ldub
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalls View Post
Anyone notice that the time on the events are completely wrong, or is it just me?
not sure what you mean here. is your google calendar time zone the same as your bb timezone?
Old 12-13-2007, 03:11 PM   #65
lraed74
CrackBerry Addict

Model: S2

I mostly had Bdays in my calendar past this mth. So I deleted and added them again to sync. I had them listed as an all day event and avail/free on my BB. I then sync'd and everyone of those (all day events) spread out to 7pm to 7pm the next day...basically it was showing 2 days for the bday. I went into edit these with the Google Calendar and sync'd...now both are actually sync'd and correct. Only downside for bdays past 24 wks, they wont be showing up. I can add them on the BB but it seems they will get messed up with the sync? So I'll just let GC add them as it gets closer.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:12 PM   #66
mettle

Model: 9000
Carrier: rogers

this is my first post. i just wanted to mention something in case someone else was having trouble with it.

the default reminder on my blackberry is 0 minutes, that is, the time of the alert and the event are the same.

in my experience, these events can't be synced, that is, they won't upload to google calendar. you get a "network problem" message. if you change the reminder to say 5 minutes, the event will sync correctly.

strange, but it happened to me.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:06 PM   #67
plchan
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8700g
Carrier: NO One

Quote:
Originally Posted by mettle View Post
this is my first post. i just wanted to mention something in case someone else was having trouble with it.

the default reminder on my blackberry is 0 minutes, that is, the time of the alert and the event are the same.

in my experience, these events can't be synced, that is, they won't upload to google calendar. you get a "network problem" message. if you change the reminder to say 5 minutes, the event will sync correctly.

strange, but it happened to me.
I just tried what you described. Here are the steps I went through:

1) Create an event
2) reset the reminder from 15 mins to 0 min (I have the reminder default as 15 min).
3) Sync to GCal.

I did not get any error. The log shows I had 1 new event synced.

It works fine on my 8700G with TMO. OS level is 4.2.1.

Are you sure you were not really having a network problem?

I notice the EDGE signal would go down and switched to GSM signal. If I try to do any web browsing, or data related activities, I would get some errors.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:53 PM   #68
proussak
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

Putting aside how lame it is that this app won't sync existing events, I find it positively dangerous as regards recurring events, which it sometimes changes the time on, sometimes deletes and sometimes move to different days. Someone at he Googleplex must have a weird sense of humor! I'm deleting it until it's ready for prime time.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:42 AM   #69
Danabw
CrackBerry Addict

I'd think the fact that it deletes sync'd events on your Blackberry when you close Google Sync would be enough to scare anyone away...
Old 12-14-2007, 08:38 AM   #70
PabloTX
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw View Post
I'd think the fact that it deletes sync'd events on your Blackberry when you close Google Sync would be enough to scare anyone away...
It only "deletes" it in so much as if you sign out, it removes those calendar entries from your Blackberry. When you sign in again, it puts them back. They are not really "deleted" just not on your Blackberry while you are signed out.

There are benefits and drawbacks to this. The drawback I suppose is if for some reason you are unable to sign in to Google's service, you may not have your appointments. But also, say you have multiple calendars. Say one for work and one for home. Or yours and your wife's. If need be, you can sign out of one and sign into another and have that other calendar on your Blackberry.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:39 AM   #71
mettle

Model: 9000
Carrier: rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by plchan View Post
Are you sure you were not really having a network problem?
i'm really not sure, but i tried everything before stumbling on the solution i wrote about. and i did switch back and forth from 0 minute reminders to 5 minute reminders just to check, and my crude tests seem to confirm my findings. maybe it's blackberry dependant. i'm using a curve.

i've since realized that google calendar doesn't support 0 minute reminders. i'm not exactly sure how google calendar would treat such blackberry events. anyway, it worth a shot if you're having troubles.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:02 AM   #72
jcamson

Model: 8700
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop View Post
Another one here with existing events not syncing up to Google, I've got maybe 60 which just won't go upstream from my BB to Google.

EDIT: just thought of this but haven't tried yet, someone else can take the plunge. Use the Desktop tool to backup your Calendar items as a text CSV file; delete all the on-BB calendar items. Install Google Sync. Now re-import the CSV file of your contacts and I bet the sync will start sending them to Google (since it's like you had typed them in by hand, so to speak); I had this same sync problem with my SyncML after a device upgrade and "fixed" it this way, it has something to do with internal sync anchors and the code & stuff...
I tried exporting to a CSV, deleting GSync, reinstalling, then importing, that didn't work. I also tried deleting GSync, exporting to a backup file, reinstalling, importing, also no luck. This seems like it would be a great program if it just worked properly.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:14 AM   #73
ucitysoccer

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default My experience, almost everything was deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloTX View Post
It only "deletes" it in so much as if you sign out, it removes those calendar entries from your Blackberry. When you sign in again, it puts them back. They are not really "deleted" just not on your Blackberry while you are signed out.
I was using this and found it worked great, for the few items I had added to my calendar (web & bb). So I tried signing out to see what would happen to my new appointments that had been added since I started Google Sync.

My experience was that about 80-90% of my appointments on both my Google calendar and my Blackberry were deleted. Needless to say I was very happy that I had backed up everything before trying my little experiment.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:25 AM   #74
PabloTX

Did you sign in again afterwards? My experience was that they did come back. Also, did you sync before you signed out?
Old 12-14-2007, 09:32 AM   #75
ucitysoccer

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Did you sign in again afterwards? My experience was that they did come back. Also, did you sync before you signed out?
I know I synced before I signed out, a number of times as I had it running for almost 24 hours. I believe I signed back in and synced again, but I was a little panicked when I saw everything on my Google calendar had disappeared so I could be mistaken.

In your experience did appointments on the web get removed? For me it was most of my appointments that I had up on my calendar long before installing ant messing around with Google Sync.

To add to the mix, I have been using GooSync with no problems up until this point. I did stop all syncing with GooSync during the time I was trying Google Sync. I have no idea what issues that may have or have not caused.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:43 AM   #76
Danabw
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:

There are benefits and drawbacks to this. The drawback I suppose is if for some reason you are unable to sign in to Google's service, you may not have your appointments. But also, say you have multiple calendars. Say one for work and one for home. Or yours and your wife's. If need be, you can sign out of one and sign into another and have that other calendar on your Blackberry.
OK, thanks...I hadn't seen it do that, likely due to the problems I've been having with it.

But it's too restrictive for me...that kind of behavior should be an option, rather than a requirement. If I want to stop using Google Sync, or close it for some reason, I don't want to have it delete all my local calendar entries, no option to keep them.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:45 AM   #77
PabloTX

I agree.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:27 PM   #78
Baldie
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9360
Carrier: Sprint

I have a 7100i on the nextel/sprint network and so far so good.

Old 12-14-2007, 12:50 PM   #79
plchan
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw View Post
This is not acceptable behavior for a sync app...I don't understand why Google would set this up to require removal of events from my phone if I close their app on the phone.
It seems odd. So I never can sign out from the app and change the other login name to sync again?
Old 12-14-2007, 12:53 PM   #80
plchan
CrackBerry Addict

I am thinking to do this "work-around" before I sign out the sync program

1) sync it with my outlook
2) sign out the sync prog
3) copy all events from outlook to bb.

However, it really goes against the "sync" theory.