Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 05:05 PM   #1
xxaarraa
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8300
Carrier: The New Cingular
Default New 8800 user - Micro SD GPS solution

Please Login to Remove!

I bought this phone for one reason - GPS nav. It works but not up to scratch especially since I cant take calls while navigating (not with both working as they were meant to anyway).

Does anyone know of a Micro-SD based mapping/navigating software? I could care less about POIs, all I need is decent turn by turn while being on the phone. Thanks!
Old 02-24-2007, 05:17 PM   #2
backbeat
No longer Registered.

Model: 8700G

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxaarraa
I bought this phone for one reason - GPS nav. It works but not up to scratch especially since I cant take calls while navigating (not with both working as they were meant to anyway).
This is a matter of network incapability, not handset hardware.

Quote:
Does anyone know of a Micro-SD based mapping/navigating software? I could care less about POIs, all I need is decent turn by turn while being on the phone. Thanks!
I'm hopeful (but not holding my breath) that iGuidance will intro a BB-compatible version. No current microSD-based BB versions exist. Much speculation that Google Maps will get GPS support, but it doesn't exist currently.

Last edited by backbeat; 02-24-2007 at 05:25 PM..
Old 02-24-2007, 05:23 PM   #3
kjaslow

Model: 9800
Carrier: Telstra

Sadly... Garmin has a solution that is MicroSD-based, but is only for Windows Mobile. Hoping they'll start a trend!
Old 02-24-2007, 09:23 PM   #4
rickthornton

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon
Default Have you tried Telenav?

Been using this extensively for the last few days and I have to say that overall it is excellent. Check Stinsondogs tips page for particulars, but thus far, I am very satisfied with it. Telenav allows a phone call while operating, although you loose the voice commands during the call, it still provides visual instructions re your route.

I would like some additional customization options, and obviously, if you leave Edge coverage, you loose your navigation capabilities, but overall, it is the best option I've seen out there currently.

BB Maps is ok as a novelty, but I couldn't use it for actual navigation. There is a free 30 day trial, I'd suggest giving it a try.

I was planning on dropping $500 on a Garmin Nuvi, but I am seriously rethinking that now. Clearly, the standalone unit has some additional capabilities and works anywhere, however, I always have my BB with me and therefore, I will always have my GPS along with Telenav. I am generally resistant to products with subscriptions, but the Garmin's purchase cost would be equal to 4 years of Telenav fees, and realistically, the standalone would be dead or obsolete by then anyway.

I good SD card based map system would be nice, but until and unless that comes out, Telenav is meeting my needs.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:29 PM   #5
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickthornton

I would like some additional customization options, and obviously, if you leave Edge coverage, you loose your navigation capabilities, but overall, it is the best option I've seen out there currently.
Actually if you DL your route you will still have it, but you can't reroute if go off course if you are out of coverage.

I was told at the launch that 5.1 will be out soon. I will follow up. What will it add - traffic and rerouting, and show where you are along the way, and find POI's along the way. Great features.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:53 PM   #6
rickthornton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog
Actually if you DL your route you will still have it, but you can't reroute if go off course if you are out of coverage.

I was told at the launch that 5.1 will be out soon. I will follow up. What will it add - traffic and rerouting, and show where you are along the way, and find POI's along the way. Great features.
I look forward to the new features and of course your review. BTW, was it not for your Telenav review, I doubt I would have tired it, and I would be missing a great program.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:05 PM   #7
backbeat
No longer Registered.

Model: 8700G

Quote:

Also, since RIM hasn't seen fit to allow expandable memory to be used as the owner sees fit, only audio and video media serves its purpose. With any luck, the 9xxx will correct this.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:42 AM   #8
cellguy

PIN: 25F09CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickthornton
BB Maps is ok as a novelty, but I couldn't use it for actual navigation. There is a free 30 day trial, I'd suggest giving it a try.
I've checked out their website and can't find a 30 day trial. Do you have a link?
Old 02-25-2007, 01:33 AM   #9
rickthornton

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellguy
I've checked out their website and can't find a 30 day trial. Do you have a link?
You have to sign up, create an acount and at checkout, it advises the first 30 days are free and that you will be billed if you don't cancel by the 30 days. A link on their FAQ that describes this is as follows: Common FAQs
Old 02-25-2007, 06:50 AM   #10
mas90guru
CrackBerry Addict

Careful on the 30 day free trial. When I've used Telenav on other devices it was more like 60 days for the price of 30 -- they didn't give me an easy way to unsubscribe before my 30 days were done.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:26 PM   #11
Pizzle
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 8310
PIN: T + PINT = QUART
Carrier: at&t

***moving to GPS forum***
Old 02-25-2007, 09:45 PM   #12
xxaarraa

Model: 8300
Carrier: The New Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog

Really? I was playing around with it and didnt see a download option for your route. How can you download the route before setting off? Does that mean I can get turn by turn while taking a call? (without voice guidance is OK).
Old 02-25-2007, 10:28 PM   #13
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie

Quote:
Really? I was playing around with it and didnt see a download option for your route. How can you download the route before setting off? Does that mean I can get turn by turn while taking a call? (without voice guidance is OK).
You don't have to DL it. When it does the route it's their. See preview mode in my review. It will continue with its routing.
Closed Thread