BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 07:42 PM   #1
TylerC161

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tmobile
Default Intentional Bricking ( I know, this sounds bad)

Please Login to Remove!

Okay, well for a little background story, I dropped my phone off the table onto the floor where a dog bowl was sitting. The bowl had water in it, i quickly took it out, ripped out the battery, and put it under a fan. Its been a couple of days now and I went to check it out. there is water under my screen a little bit, and they keys were kinda sticky. So I got the guides all day and decided to take it apart. I took it apart fine blowing out all the water with compressed air, put it back together, and still had some problems. The keys are still somewhat sticky, and theres still water under the screen. i decided to take it apart again to see, and MORE water was on the motherboard even after I cleaned it the first time. Anyways, neither of my stickers on my phone turned red/pink. They're both very white. The only way to notice the phone was water damaged is to look at the LCD. UNLESSS of corse I could get the LCD to never come on again (bricking it). Yes this is very low, probably illegal, and somewhat lame, but if I were to brick my BB, then I could issue a warranty with Tmobile and get a new one. I JUST got this phone a month ago, and its already broken. I cant believe I did what I did, this has never happend before, im always extra careful. Theres too much going on right now in my life to buy a new phone, or to even pay the deductable on insurance to get a new phone, and im looking for a cheap way out. Is it possible to get my way with the ideas I've though of? What would be any risks?

Whats everyones take?
Old 05-18-2007, 09:08 PM   #2
jhaedin_brennyn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerC161 View Post
Okay, well for a little background story, I dropped my phone off the table onto the floor where a dog bowl was sitting. The bowl had water in it, i quickly took it out, ripped out the battery, and put it under a fan. Its been a couple of days now and I went to check it out. there is water under my screen a little bit, and they keys were kinda sticky. So I got the guides all day and decided to take it apart. I took it apart fine blowing out all the water with compressed air, put it back together, and still had some problems. The keys are still somewhat sticky, and theres still water under the screen. i decided to take it apart again to see, and MORE water was on the motherboard even after I cleaned it the first time. Anyways, neither of my stickers on my phone turned red/pink. They're both very white. The only way to notice the phone was water damaged is to look at the LCD. UNLESSS of corse I could get the LCD to never come on again (bricking it). Yes this is very low, probably illegal, and somewhat lame, but if I were to brick my BB, then I could issue a warranty with Tmobile and get a new one. I JUST got this phone a month ago, and its already broken. I cant believe I did what I did, this has never happend before, im always extra careful. Theres too much going on right now in my life to buy a new phone, or to even pay the deductable on insurance to get a new phone, and im looking for a cheap way out. Is it possible to get my way with the ideas I've though of? What would be any risks?

Whats everyones take?
well have you tried upgrading the os and then taking the usb cord out in the middle i hear that can do some serious damage.

The dymond Mama
Old 05-18-2007, 10:00 PM   #3
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

You broke it but you want TMo to pay for it. I'm not even going there.

However, give the phone some time. Don't put the battery back in. Let it dry for 4-5 days. Put it somewhere warm like on top of your tv, computer, stereo or something. The screen will probably dry out after about a week. I've personally seen the screens dry out. The only time I saw one permanently stained was one that was dropped in a cup of coffee. It worked after I dried it but it had a small coffee stain in the corner that never went away. *Give it some time*
Old 05-18-2007, 10:09 PM   #4
sl0ppyshat
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8900
Carrier: cingular

use JL_CMDER to wipe it and just dont restore the o/s.

Did that to mine because the keys were unbelievably squeeky and i mean every key squeeked. Brought it back to cingular store with it wiped. they were all baffled and gave me one that doesnt squeek.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:12 AM   #5
Willie115
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: mEowmIx

Let it dry normally, I agree with JohnClark.. you broke it... you should pay for it don't wait just a few days, and make sure there isn't any water at all, like he said put it on top of a television vent or something for it to dry naturally... other option is to just rinse it with alcohol which would most likely get the water out and alcohol evaporates faster, let it dry to at least 3 days still.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:50 AM   #6
TylerC161

Carrier: Tmobile

I know you all dont like the idea, but if you knew any of my current situations (which I dont feel the need to describe all my recent "hiccups") you'd understand and be devistated one of the best phones in the world is in your hands, not working, and theres nothing you can do. I put it in my car outside on the dash, its mild here now about 40*, it should get up to 75* tomorrow, hopefully it'll warm up in the car. if not I could always dip the total LCD in alcohol. I read a write up on water damaged phones, it reccomended that as a last option. Then I can just swab alcohol over the keys and motherboard to get the sticky soda out more
Old 05-19-2007, 09:18 AM   #7
Damager
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Cingular

I thought you said it dropped into a dog bowl of water - where did sticky soda come into the picture?
Old 05-19-2007, 01:49 PM   #8
StewC

Carrier: T Mobile

Just claim on your household contents insurance if you've got extended accidental damage cover.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:13 PM   #9
John Clark
BBF Moderator

deductible is likely as much or more than the phone
Old 05-19-2007, 03:58 PM   #10
Deraj090
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerC161 View Post
Then I can just swab alcohol over the keys and motherboard to get the sticky soda out more

So you're feeding your dog soda?? First, worry about keeping that poor thing alive.

drying out the LCD should work.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:13 PM   #11
fbueller
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: T-Mobile

Call T-Mobile, add phone insurance to your account, wait 3 days, then claim it. As long as there's no color change on the water damage stickers, that should work.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:57 PM   #12
John Clark
BBF Moderator

I don't believe TMo offers insurance for smartphones. Even if they do, what you are asking is unethical and dishonest. Just because the liquid indicators are still white doesn't mean they won't charge you because it's been "wet." I'm not sure what the story is here, whether it fell in water or soda, but I think you've recieved plenty of advice and see no further usefulness of the thread. There are lots of other threads about water damage to the BB. Search and you should come up with lots of info.

*Thread Closed*
Closed Thread