Roll
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gix1k View Post
I took the Curve BACK....I am now back to a new Pearl. I will wait on the Bold and try that. I tried and tried and I could not get needed apps installed on that device...this error beat me....DAMMIT!

Too bad Gix1k. Hope the Bold works better for you.

For my part, I'm hooked on this, my first BB. I wish it was easier to set up but as for integrating it into my daily routine, I'm a lovin' it.

Gary (If I could just get this danged loader to work.)
Old 06-02-2008, 09:42 AM   #42
Roll
Thumbs Must Hurt

Okay, Talkin' to John here since most others have melted into the woodwork....

Is there a likelihood that the reason I can't load the weather program has to do with the device/DTMgr thinking it is already installed? Rather than the OS issue youxxx8217;ve been coaching me on?

I had the trial version installed, and the installation went just fine, as have a number of 3rd party apps I've tried and uninstalled. I wonder if the device/DTMgr simply thinks the weather app is already installed and so rejects my attempts another installation of the same app.

I did uninstall the weather trial but perhaps there is a remnant of that program in a registry somewhere that is fooling the loader?

Thoughts? Am I heading down the wrong road?

Gary
Old 06-02-2008, 09:50 AM   #43
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

It's common knowledge that the OS must be installed in order to load programs. Having that loaded along with DM is the first thing to do. We even have a FAQ about it.

As far as why the device isn't detected by Desktop Manager now, I couldn't tell you. You did so many other things before just loading the proper OS that it's hard to tell. Have you tried different USB ports? Make sure you're not plugged into any kind of hub but connected directly to the computer.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:00 AM   #44
Roll
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
As far as why the device isn't detected by Desktop Manager now, I couldn't tell you. You did so many other things before just loading the proper OS that it's hard to tell. Have you tried different USB ports? Make sure you're not plugged into any kind of hub but connected directly to the computer.

Now that's an interesting question. Friday night we had a lightning strike on the property. Fried all my USB ports, router, power backup, powered USB device and NIC. Also my garage door opener on one garage but that's a story for another forum. The BB was not connected.

I installed a USB 2.0 PCI card to get USB service back in the machine. I couldn't fix the originals. Now, once in a while, when I plug my BB into the cable I get a message that it would perform better in a USB 2.0 port. I don't get that since the PCI/USB card is 2.0. Nonetheless, I did have the BB and DTMgr working just fine (except for the loader) AFTER the lightning strike.

Though I hate to go through it again, I can uninstall DTMgr including all the user settings, and then reinstall with the OS and try one more time.

You're not buying my story about some remnant of the previous app clinging to my device or DTMgr then?

Gary
Old 06-02-2008, 10:13 AM   #45
John Clark
BBF Moderator

No....if the PC won't detect the BB then its a USB/driver problem. You have/had two separate problems.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:27 AM   #46
Roll
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
No....if the PC won't detect the BB then its a USB/driver problem. You have/had two separate problems.
I want more than anything to get this working but my experience is not consistent with the intended result regarding the installation of the OS in DTMgr.

I just had my BB connected to my work PC and it was functioning just fine. (In all the posts above I was at my home PC).

I connected up this morning at work, installed a file manager program, backed up and synced (cable) with Outlook here at work. However still could not install the weather program, same message about no apps for my device.

So I installed the 4.3.0.127 OS on DTMgr here at work and guess what... DTMgr no longer "detects" my BB. Exactly the same result as when I tried this at home.

I wonder John, if there has been a change in the DTMgr software that installing the OS is no longer needed. This OS 4.3.0.127 was just released? Is that true? I'd like to see someone else try it to determine if their result is different. Does the FAQ/instructions need to be rewritten for the newer OS?

FYI. I am syncing via cable on both machines and I do not have the BES activated.

Gary
Old 06-02-2008, 10:31 AM   #47
John Clark
BBF Moderator

I've not heard of this but it's possible that something in the new OS is affecting the driver files. Make a copy of loader.exe and save it somewhere else. Then uninstall the OS using control panel >Add/Remove programs. After uninstalling does the DM detect the device again? If not reinstall DM and see if it detects it. If it does, then replace loader.exe with the newer one and see what happens.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:33 AM   #48
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Also, you're not installing the OS or DM while the BB is plugged in, are you?
Old 06-02-2008, 10:50 AM   #49
Roll
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
I've not heard of this but it's possible that something in the new OS is affecting the driver files. Make a copy of loader.exe and save it somewhere else. Then uninstall the OS using control panel >Add/Remove programs. After uninstalling does the DM detect the device again? If not reinstall DM and see if it detects it. If it does, then replace loader.exe with the newer one and see what happens.
I did uninstall the OS but didn't copy the loader program. DTMgr would not detect my BB after the OS was uninstalled. So now I am uninstalling DTMgr with the intent of doing a fresh install. I can't do the loader test since I did not save that file.

Gary
Old 06-02-2008, 10:54 AM   #50
Roll
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Also, you're not installing the OS or DM while the BB is plugged in, are you?
At home I disconnected the BB for the OS install.

At work I left it connected, (by accident). Didn't make any difference though...or not much. Initally DTMgr showed it connected but not "active". (?)

Odd that.

Once I disconnected the BB it would not detect it again.

Gary
Old 06-02-2008, 01:13 PM   #51
Roll
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Update:

I found a new file, the loader app, on the verizon site. Woohoo I thought, this is certainly the problem. It was advertised as being updated 5-08 and the fix for Verizon 8330s.

Installed a fresh copy of DTMgr and then the new loader. Turns out the Loader is older than the one in the 4.3 DTMgr.

Pressed on anyway but when it was all done, DTMgr still wouldn't recognize my BB. Uninstalled the Loader; tried DTMgr, still no luck, so I am unstalling DTMgr now. When it's gone I'll reinstall it without the OS or the loader and see if I can get back to where I was....everything working with the exception of being able to load the weather program.

I wish I was paying myself for the time I've invested in this. I want to love this phone but she...she won't love me back. She cut me open and I keep bleeding....keep, keep, bleeding love. Oh you cut me open, and I keep, keep bleeding love.

Gary
Old 06-02-2008, 02:14 PM   #52
Roll
Thumbs Must Hurt

Finished the 4th reinstall of DTMgr. Did not try to load the OS on the PC. DTMgr works. Lets me sync and backup but still won't let me load the weather program. I'll try another program to see if the loader is targeting the weather program or any app I try to install.

Gary
Old 06-02-2008, 02:28 PM   #53
arieltf
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Z10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll View Post
I want to love this phone but she...she won't love me back. She cut me open and I keep bleeding....keep, keep, bleeding love. Oh you cut me open, and I keep, keep bleeding love.

Gary
That's because you kept trying to change her... make her "better". And, she resisted the change. But, you kept pushing and pushing it. Now she is mad at you. Extremely mad at you. You couldn't leave well enough alone.

Now what you need to do is baby her. Treat her kindly, lovingly, and accept her for her faults. Don't try to change her.

Or,

Trade her in for a new one. Maybe the new one will accept changes.

--Ariel
Old 06-02-2008, 03:33 PM   #54
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Gary, after you reinstall DM look in Help >About Deskto Manager >components and post the version of "Application Loader." I'm pretty sure I have the latest version and it's 4.3.1.18.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:18 PM   #55
John Clark
BBF Moderator

I noticed there are a lot of .dll files along with loader.exe. I don't think you can just copy them from one version to the other. I really don't know why your device loses the USB connection when the .127 OS is installed. Installing the OS is the fix for the "no additional applications...." error. I'm at a loss on why the USB connections are lost.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:07 PM   #56
Roll
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default As requested by John

Here are the apps and versions showing in the DTMgr panel view:

BB Device Mgr 4.3.0.7
BB Dev Mgr 4.0.0.1
RIM USU Driver 4.0.0.2
RIM USB/Serial Driver 2.1.0.4

Application Loader 4.3.0.13
RIM Prog 1.0.0.35

This is from a fresh install of DTMgr version 4.3.0.17

I have not tried to install an OS this time or the Loader I found on Verizons site that claimed to be updated May 2008, (but was an older version than what you see above).

I can back up and sync without a problem over a cable. I can't install the weather program I want to use but I can install other apps to the best of my knowledge.

Gary
Old 06-02-2008, 07:23 PM   #57
John Clark
BBF Moderator

You CAN add other programs??? I thought you couldn't add any programs. It could just be an issue with the app you're trying to load. The .alx could be written to only install on certain OS's.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:29 PM   #58
Roll
Thumbs Must Hurt

Well scratch that. I did install something minor today at work but I can't even install a theme at home Tried a new theme, no luck; then deleted one and tried it again, no luck; and still can't do the weather program.

So no, I can't install anything is seems.....

Good Grief.....

Gary
Old 06-02-2008, 09:40 PM   #59
Roll
Thumbs Must Hurt

Starting to think maybe I should return mine too.

Getting tired of the problem. Had DTMgr working except for app installs. Found yet a newer updated "Loader" version on the Verizon site. Installed it on the PC. It updated my loader from v. 4.3.013 to v. 4.3.0.17. Got it! I thought. That's a big nope folks.... Still can't install an application. Dang! And now I can't connect to DTMgr.... Same old stuff..... DTMgr no longer detects my 8330 after installing the OS to the PC.

Arrrgh.

Gary (Its late, better go to bed.)
Old 06-02-2008, 09:50 PM   #60
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Try a different theme....I've had an issue with Pearl on OS 4.5 not being recognized by DM. Switching themes fixed the issue.
Closed Thread