Old 09-15-2006, 12:10 AM   #1
Wavshrdr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: t-moron
Default Pairing Pearl (8100) with a TomTom 910 GPS system

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

Just thought I’d post my experience to help others that might have a similar situation. I purchased a Pearl and I have a TomTom 910 (aka TT 910) navigation system. As some of you who have the TomTom’s might know they don’t support many phones and I knew there was little chance of the Pearl pairing with the TT 910.

I was able to get my 7100 to pair up with it but it doesn’t support DUN so I couldn’t use any of the TT Plus services with it. That was the one reason I was looking at upgrading to the Pearl. I figured I’d have 14 days to make it work and if not return it to T-mobile.

I must have set like an idiot for an hour or better trying to pair the two devices. Neither one would see each other. I paired it just like I did with the BB 7100. Finally I decided to take a different approach. I made sure that even that discoverable was enabled in the Pearl (even though I didn’t need it on my 7100 during the pairing process).

I then started the Pearl’s search first before starting the TT’s search for other BT devices. I had a hunch that somehow the timeouts were occurring before I could actually pick up something that each device could work with. Finally a glimmer of success, the Pearl said it saw and “audio device”. I told it to search again and promptly lost it. I went on like this for about 15 minutes or so before I had another idea. I was pretty sure the “audio device” the Pearl was seeing was the TT 910 but I couldn’t be certain. I knew I wasn’t running any other BT devices but I turned off a BT headset downstairs that was with another phone just in case.

The next time the Pearl saw the audio device I did nothing with the Pearl. I restarted the search on the TT 910 and left the Pearl in the same mode where it had “captured” the signal from the audio device. About half way through the TT’s discovery process the Pearl’s message changed from audio device to TomTom 910. Paydirt at last!!!!

From that point on it was a simple matter to pair the phone with the TT 910. The TT 910 said it would work with their Plus services BUT I didn’t have the profiles of exactly how to set that up. They have specific files for the DUN settings for some phones like the Razr and with Tmo. I didn’t know what settings to make that part of it work at the time so now I am trying to track that down. I think they are generic Tmo DUN settings such as the access point as you can manually input some of the info but I didn’t have time to mess with it too much yet. So far though the phone pairs perfectly each time with the 910 and sound quality is excellent. The TT 910 acts as BT speakerphone and does a great job with the Pearl.

I have searched to try and find the Tmo DUN info on the forums here but there are so many posts when I search that I have spent a long time looking without success. I have tried a few different keyword searches for this info. Is there a sticky or a FAQ that covers this that I should be looking at? If I can get the DUN setup it would be awesome.

Hopefully my experience will help someone out. So far I am loving the Pearl and it is almost the perfect device for my needs. I can live with the smudges but so far the screen is tougher than an iPod in my experience. Battery life has surprised me but I’d still like a higher capacity one.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:41 AM   #2
Ninjatek
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Pearl
Carrier: Tmobile

TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems

Here is a guide for what you need.

The APN you want is wap.voicestream.com and the Dial string is *99#

The IP/DNS should be automatic for both.
Also make sure you have the APN setup on the blackberry under
Options>Advanced Options>TCP>APN:wap.voicestream.com

No username of password is needed.

If you need anymore help feel free to contact us tier III folk at T-Mobile, we love helping people out
Old 09-15-2006, 05:51 AM   #3
faaltoo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjatek
TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems

Here is a guide for what you need.

If you need anymore help feel free to contact us tier III folk at T-Mobile, we love helping people out
Thanks ninjatek.
I am going to try this out
Old 09-15-2006, 12:01 PM   #4
Wavshrdr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:

Thanks a ton! I'll set this up later today when I have a chance to. I was so excited to just get it to pair up that the other stuff was minor at 3AM in the morning. Any issues with this if I travel to another country in Europe for example? Can I use the same APN info?
Old 09-15-2006, 12:43 PM   #5
cellguy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
PIN: 25F09CFD

Dude, you're a lifesaver! Spent an hour trying to get it to with with my 910! Thanks!
Old 09-15-2006, 12:51 PM   #6
cellguy

Default Dialing String

Any idea where to put the dialing string?
Old 09-15-2006, 03:44 PM   #7
Wavshrdr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellguy
Dude, you're a lifesaver! Spent an hour trying to get it to with with my 910! Thanks!
Glad I could help. I hope you have it working now, it is tedious but I know it works. The TT 910 was THE reason I bought the Pearl. Just so I could use it with the Plus services. I am trying to get them set up now. I think I may have that one figured out now but I need to test it later.

Make sure once you have it working that you back BOTH of them up!!! I honestly don't want to go through it again but at least now I know it IS possible. That makes the struggle a little easier to deal with.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:46 PM   #8
Wavshrdr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Any idea where to put the dialing string?
I'll let you know later after I have it figured out. I don't have my TT at work with me but I'll be setting it up later tonight with some of the info I tracked down. I am leaving on a trip in the morning so I don't have much time to get everything to come together for the TT Plus services and TT's tech support is non-existent. Thankfully their products don't need much but if you do...
Old 09-15-2006, 09:47 PM   #9
Wavshrdr
Thumbs Must Hurt

So far I haven't found a script to work yet with the manual settings. If I could find an example of one for the Tmo MDA or SDA I might be able to modify it. I guess I'll end up contacting TomTom's black hole that is allegedly their customer service department. I am sure I'll have an answer about the time I no longer need it...

Maybe ninjatek has a sample of one of the scripts TomTom uses.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:24 PM   #10
kitbaldwin

Carrier: T-Mobile

Just wondering if anyone has made any progress with this?
Old 10-04-2006, 09:20 AM   #11
Ninjatek

Ok I'll lay it out step by step since i just helped someone accomplish the same feat with an L6

When it comes up with manual setup select that.
Now here is the prompt and what you input
Access Poing Name: wap.voicestream.com

User Name: Leave it blank

Password: Leave it blank

Do you want to obtain your IP address automatically (DHCP) or do you want to setup your IP address manually? : Automatic

Do you want to obtain your DNS server address automatically or do you want to setup your DNS server address manually? : Automatic

Dial: *99#

Login Script: at+cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.voicestream.com"

Boom your in.

Also make sure your TCP is set to wap.voicestream.com, I.e.
On Blackberry, Options>Advanced Options>TCP>APN:wap.voicestream.com
Old 10-04-2006, 12:50 PM   #12
cellguy

Any other help/advise on just getting the 910 to see the Pearl? I've tried everything I can think of to get them to discover each other but no go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:05 PM   #13
Ninjatek

Quote:
Any other help/advise on just getting the 910 to see the Pearl? I've tried everything I can think of to get them to discover each other but no go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I've never actually touched a tomtom, but I would assume the best method would go like this,

Set the TomTom to discoverable,
Select Add Device from the Pearl
Find the TomTom, Add it and enter pin

I asked a couple of my colleagues and they think the tomtom doesn't have discoverable settings. If does not then reverse the process and Set the blackberry to discoverable and search for it via the tomtom
Old 10-04-2006, 02:33 PM   #14
cellguy

Last edited by cellguy; 10-04-2006 at 08:10 PM..
Old 10-04-2006, 02:34 PM   #15
cellguy

Ok, got it to pair (finally!) Entered all the instructions for manually settingup a data link but still can't establish the link. Anyone else having a challenge with thsi?

Last edited by cellguy; 10-04-2006 at 08:09 PM..
Old 10-05-2006, 07:45 PM   #16
Wavshrdr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Ok I'll lay it out step by step since i just helped someone accomplish the same feat with an L6

When it comes up with manual setup select that.
Now here is the prompt and what you input
Access Poing Name: wap.voicestream.com

User Name: Leave it blank

Password: Leave it blank

Do you want to obtain your IP address automatically (DHCP) or do you want to setup your IP address manually? : Automatic

Do you want to obtain your DNS server address automatically or do you want to setup your DNS server address manually? : Automatic

Dial: *99#

Login Script: at+cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.voicestream.com"

Boom your in.

Also make sure your TCP is set to wap.voicestream.com, I.e.
On Blackberry, Options>Advanced Options>TCP>APN:wap.voicestream.com
This doesn't work for me. I tried it before as experiment about 2 weeks ago and I tried it again several times tonight. I thought maybe it was a typo when I was doing it and I tried repeatedly. This is a very tedious process to input it each time as the TT 910 forces you to go to several different screen to find special characters like " or + and you can't just cursor over if you make a mistake. You must use a destructive backspace and lose all you put in after the mistake to get back to it.

Has anyone else got it to work with the TomTom plus system or even to make contact with their server?
Old 10-05-2006, 09:25 PM   #17
cellguy

Had the same experience. Double and triple checked the AT+ line, still nothing. I would really love to get this to work.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:55 AM   #18
mcapiro
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-Mobile

Been trying here also and no luck
Old 10-06-2006, 08:13 AM   #19
Wavshrdr
Thumbs Must Hurt

I tried the following varities of the modem string with no luck. I was ultra careful too.

at+cgdcont=1,"IP", "wap.voicestream.com"
+cgdcont=1,"IP", "wap.voicestream.com"
+cgdcont=1,"ip", "wap.voicestream.com" (shouldn't be case sensitive though)
+cgdcont=1,, "wap.voicestream.com"

There are quite a few other variations I've tried without success too.

I kept DNS and DHCP on auto.
I used *99# for the number for it to "dial".
Username and password were kept blank.

I set up the APN already on my phone and it works fine as a tethered modem so I know that is not an issue.

I have also tried a variety of profiles from other Tmo phones built-in to the TT 910.

As an FYI, sometimes when trying to setup the TT Plus services, when the TT 910 connects to the Pearl, it forces a spontaneous reboot of the Pearl. The phone functions work great on the TT 910. Best GPS speaker phone I've used. It is loud and clear and people hear me well. I sometimes use it as a speaker phone at my desk in the office.

If I could get this to work with the TomTom Plus services I'd be really happy with the Pearl/TomTom 910 combo. It is much better than pairing up with the Garmin Nuvi series I have. I am not even using the additional microphone TT bundles with the 910.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:02 PM   #20
Zorn

Model: Curve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavshrdr
I tried the following varities of the modem string with no luck. I was ultra careful too.

at+cgdcont=1,"IP", "wap.voicestream.com"
+cgdcont=1,"IP", "wap.voicestream.com"
+cgdcont=1,"ip", "wap.voicestream.com" (shouldn't be case sensitive though)
+cgdcont=1,, "wap.voicestream.com"

There are quite a few other variations I've tried without success too.

I kept DNS and DHCP on auto.
I used *99# for the number for it to "dial".
Username and password were kept blank.

I set up the APN already on my phone and it works fine as a tethered modem so I know that is not an issue.

I have also tried a variety of profiles from other Tmo phones built-in to the TT 910.

As an FYI, sometimes when trying to setup the TT Plus services, when the TT 910 connects to the Pearl, it forces a spontaneous reboot of the Pearl. The phone functions work great on the TT 910. Best GPS speaker phone I've used. It is loud and clear and people hear me well. I sometimes use it as a speaker phone at my desk in the office.

If I could get this to work with the TomTom Plus services I'd be really happy with the Pearl/TomTom 910 combo. It is much better than pairing up with the Garmin Nuvi series I have. I am not even using the additional microphone TT bundles with the 910.
I'm in the same boat, followed the directions exactly, still says it can't set up the data connection. Any idea what's up?
Closed Thread