BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 07:08 PM   #21
Husky-71

Model: 8820
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

I "fixed" my WRT54GX4 connectivity problem by replacing the router.

Just went through an exercise where I upgraded much of my home computer equipment and added a Linksys Windows media extender. To get the desired performance I ended up going with the WRT600N router.

My 8820 connects to this router just fine.

I'll probably give the WRT54GX5 to my parents or in-laws. The GX4 router worked fine and the range was great, but since doesn't seem to be compatible with any of the 802.11n gear out there, it's best if I give it the boot anyway.

Very nice now to have WiFi connectivity on the 8820 as EDGE connectivity at my house is quite spotty. Be nice when AT&T gets on the bandwagon and starts supporting voice over UMA.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:16 AM   #22
squeakr
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
Carrier: AT&T & T-Mobile

Unless Linksys has changed their handlng of protocols recently, everytime you connect to the router with the phone, you throttle down all of the other wifi connections. There were only two routers that I know of (unless like I say some protocol handling ahs changed) that would allow concurrent N and older protocols (multipath control). All of the rest just rolled back to the older standard. This is why I took my N routers back as the distance wasn't any better and I use the UMA in my house, so everytime I connected the connections would all throttle back. The only routers that I kno that stated they would do the multipath were the Belkin N routers and the D-LInk DIR 655. The D-Link I would highly recommend, but skip the Belkin as with the way they have their newer firmwares designed there was very little control and the devices would either cause the routers to reset or the device to lock up or reset. Search around and you will find it seems everyone is having problem with the newer Belkin N routers but the D-Link performs marvelously. I had it, but couldn't justify the expense as the throughput and distance were no better than I was receiving with my G setup, so I took it back (although the gigabit lan was nice with alot less lag on the ssytem). I now have high power amp'd routers hooked in WDS so great coverage and distance all over the house. Once N becomes more primetime, then I may justify the expense, but for now as almost everything will require upgraded cards and such I couldn't justify expense.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:30 PM   #23
Husky-71

Model: 8820
Carrier: AT&T

That's interesting. If I get time this weekend I'll do a more in depth test.

The WRT600N has independent settings for both the 5 and 2.4 GHz bands which allow me to set either one as N only or a mix of the other standards, like B or G, or A on the 5 GHz band.

It looks like I can also configure different WPA2 keys on each band which would help control which devices connect to which band. There's also an application tab that lets you set the bandwidth and QoS settings for various things.
Old 03-15-2008, 12:12 AM   #24
XtasyX

Carrier: Rogers

I was just talking to Linksys technical support, it appears that WRT54GX4 is not compatible with the 8320 =(
Old 03-30-2008, 12:34 AM   #25
Richtb

Carrier: T-Mobile

The solution to the Compatibility is with the new OS 4.5 for the 8320. Updated my BB and it works great. Here is a link to where I found:

**For people have beta OS 4.5 / 4.3 on their Curve** - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com
Old 04-01-2008, 01:54 AM   #26
avmsam
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9800
Carrier: Rogers

the WRT54GX4 is not compatible at the moment with 8320
Closed Thread