Old 02-29-2008, 05:28 PM   #1
hegedusa
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange UK
Default UMA quality problems orange UK

Please Login to Remove!

A couple of weeks ago, Orange UK started allowing UMA connections via any internet connection (previously this only worked via Orange broadband) and since them, my UMA (or uma - does anyone know what it means when it's lowercase?) was on when connected via WIFI. This UMA thing is now really winding me up. I am unable to have any call without distortion or just cutting off when at home, no matter which broadband service I use (I use two).

I phoned Orange and all they said was "It's a trial by your provider (not us) and we have no control over it". That was after them calling the dedicated blackberry team. Obviously they haven't got the foggiest idea. When I asked what provider they meant, the woman at Orange responded by asking me what email provider I use....

Also, probably obviously, they don't allocate enough bandwidth at their "end" of the link. I use voip a lot and hardly ever get cut off or suffer poor quality. But UMA is basically voip, and it's unusable. The trouble is, that if I tell the blackberry that it's "mobile network preferred" rather than "wifi preferred", emails don't use the wifi, which means that sending emails is slower.

Even then, it sometimes routes calls over UMA.

Does anyone know how to just convince the blackberry 8320 to forget about UMA for voice calls? Or does anyone know when Orange will be updating their service to actually work? Them telling me it's not supported isn't really helping...
Old 02-29-2008, 05:35 PM   #2
Jocrad

Model: 8320
Carrier: Orange

Hi, I have similar questions/problems!

I have at last managed to get UMA on my 8320 (BT broadband at home) and can make calls through UMA, though its fairly unreliable and will sometimes fail. I have a few questions can anyone help??

1) Since getting UMA, I dont seem to recieve texts while UMA is working - why??

2) what does it mean when you get uma instead of UMA?

3) Is it normal to lose the mobile network when wifi is on?

Sorry if i'm being blonde about this...... have an aversion to manuals and the ones i've read make me feel dizzy.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:27 PM   #3
ImpRex

I have had UMA service at home with my Livebox on Orange boradband since pre-Christmas.
In the last few days though, it has been 'uma' and I've lost some services.
I've emailed Orange but no reply yet.

A bit poor as I've lost Jivetalk when at home unless I select 'prefer mobile network'.
Kind of defeats the point of paying for an 8320!
Old 04-07-2008, 05:47 AM   #4
dansm77

It seems that UMA is a bit flakey, along with Orange customer service. Anyway, you can turn off UMA by setting the device to always connect to the mobile network, rather than wifi, i.e. Options -> Mobile Network -> Connection Preference, then select Mobile Network Only
Old 10-29-2008, 10:03 AM   #5
stufried
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: E61
Carrier: Eitislat

Any improvements on this front. TMobile USA's comparable technology was upgraded over the summer and now works great.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:43 AM   #6
Casper TFG
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: o2 UK

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...k-working.html

Seems the UK isn't so lucky as the USA with UMA..
Old 01-29-2009, 01:47 PM   #7
markbb99
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: T-Mobile US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper TFG View Post
http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...k-working.html

Seems the UK isn't so lucky as the USA with UMA..
Not sure what your point is here - the issues people were having in the thread you quoted were nearly a year ago - and the guy with the recent post bought an O2 handset and then found out 02 don't have UMA. That would be just like someone in the US buying an AT&T handset to use UMA and then finding out they don't support it.

EDIT - just realized you were the guy in the other post!

Last edited by markbb99; 01-29-2009 at 01:49 PM..
Old 01-29-2009, 07:51 PM   #8
YetiUK

Carrier: Orange - for my sins

I have only just bought my first backberry, but have wifi at work and at home, and found UMA to be acceptable. I haven't dropped any calls, and the sound quality seems fine. I am off to the USA in march, and hope to save on roaming charges by using UMA to call home.
Yeti
Old 01-30-2009, 10:17 AM   #9
Casper TFG
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: o2 UK

OK I am still within my cooling off period for the new o2 phone - so I think I will send it back to get UMA functionality on Orange.

Can anyone please advise on the best data package on Orange UK?

On o2 it was unlimited on Orange it is different.

Shall I go for a business tariff on Orange ?

I browse web forums a lot - very little downloading but I am liking the streaming radio and You Tube - but use that near a WiFi connection..

I am wary of jumping out of the fat and into the fire by moving networks and getting killed with extra data from UMA use..

o2 network UK have unlimited data

Orange UK don't have unlimited data packages but have UMA

What to do?

Suggestions for the best packages to go for?

Thanks very much in advance for any assistance

Last edited by Casper TFG; 01-30-2009 at 10:54 AM..
Old 01-30-2009, 02:57 PM   #10
YetiUK

Carrier: Orange - for my sins

I am a very new user, only had my Blackberry for 3 days, but with Orange you get 250MB per month, which can be upgraded to 500MB for an extra £5.
You should be able to see how much data you have used on o2

Yeti
Closed Thread