Old 03-29-2009, 08:03 PM   #1
thebluecoat

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Free UMA calls/text without T-Mobile @home

Please Login to Remove!

Am I crazy?

I have the radio portion of my Blackberry 8900 turned off, leaving wifi only on.
I am connected to my Linksys WRT-54g wireless router running dd-wrt.

My blackberry connected for the first time over wifi, did some up,down receiving arrows, then it said UMA... hmmm

I have been sending/receiving texts/calls over wifi obviously. The thing is, I don't have a T-Mobile @home router, how is this possible? I'm not even being billed as I can track my usage realtime. Exploit? booyah.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:28 PM   #2
wingrider78
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320

Wirelessly posted (8320 Titanium)

You don't need tmo's router to use UMA. Do you pay for their hotspot @ home plan for $10/month??
Old 03-29-2009, 08:51 PM   #3
thebluecoat

No, I called them to ask what the deal was, they said you can use any wifi spot without the plan but it gets deducted out of your minutes/sms bucket, LAME.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:58 AM   #4
BallHawk3
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700

only point to pay for the $10/mo plan is to get unlimited phone calls through wifi.

Like you found out, even without the plan you can still use wifi and UMA, it just deducts your minutes cause it counts as a "regular" call.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:08 AM   #5
SMF
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

thebluecoat,

Not lame - GREAT! The benefits - no problem with signal strength in my house without having to buy a pico/femtocell (see AT&T, others...) and overseas calls back to the states via wifi/UMA are out of my domestic minutes so no overseas roaming (extortion level) per minute rates!

SMF
Old 03-30-2009, 12:44 PM   #6
smyke

Model: 8220
Carrier: TMobile

yeah, UMA was the only reason I upgraded my phone with TMo. I never had any reception at my condo and now it works like a charm. overseas thing is great too.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:17 PM   #7
monkeypaw
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluecoat View Post
No, I called them to ask what the deal was, they said you can use any wifi spot without the plan but it gets deducted out of your minutes/sms bucket, LAME.
Not too lame. It's the only way I can get reliable service at home. Also, when traveling overseas, calls can be made and just use minutes. No roaming costs. Just need to find an available wifi hotspot.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:34 PM   #8
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

UMA=

No @Home plan here, either.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:08 PM   #9
Berry One

Model: 8220
Carrier: WiFi hotspot

Quote:
If you don't like it - turn radio on and make calls over wireless network. You have nothing to lose: calls over wireless networks will be deducted from your minutes.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:34 PM   #10
sugar
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: TMobile

Quote:
Am I crazy?

I have the radio portion of my Blackberry 8900 turned off, leaving wifi only on.
I am connected to my Linksys WRT-54g wireless router running dd-wrt.

My blackberry connected for the first time over wifi, did some up,down receiving arrows, then it said UMA... hmmm

I have been sending/receiving texts/calls over wifi obviously. The thing is, I don't have a T-Mobile @home router, how is this possible? I'm not even being billed as I can track my usage realtime. Exploit? booyah.
Well, it uses your TMobile minutes but you can surf the web for free......
Old 04-05-2009, 05:51 PM   #11
austinholloman
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8790

I think that UMA is one of the most ground breaking ideas to date from tmo. I didn't realize how amazing it was until I got it home and used it.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:56 AM   #12
monuman

PIN: 24AEA8D2

The Unlimited Wifi Calling is the best add-on T-Mobile is offering!
If you do have the add-on make sure your settings are correct.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:43 AM   #13
edgross208

Carrier: t-Mobile
Question What are correct settings to use UMA?

Victor mentions that it is important to have the correct settings to use UMA. I am in a hotel in Bratislava with a good strong wi-fi signal that my BB 8320 says it is connected to but in the status window it shows a yellow dot with a line through it. I can not surf the web nor synchronize my gmail with the phone; the error message says I don't have data capability in this location. I've turned off the phone radio so I have only wifi operating on the phone. The home screen shows the SSID of the wireless network but the "WIFI" icon at the upper right corner is dark.

I am guessing I have some setting wrong. At home in the US I have easily used my home wireless router to surf the net with my BB but I have had no luck anywhere in Europe thus far, making me jealous of all the users around me seemingly having an easy time of it. I have a US unlimited data plan and have installed a Czech SIM card but I do want to use the net and perhaps make calls via wifi.

What settings should I look at or change?
Old 04-09-2009, 10:49 AM   #14
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Many of the settings are on the router/network you are using. Not all networks will be compatible. Basically, it doesn't always work on every network.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:56 AM   #15
edgross208

So far I have tried at least 8 wifi spots and the result is always the same: the phone "sees" the wifi, says it is connected, but won't surf or synch, and shows the yellow dot minus sign icon in the status page. I find it hard not to believe something is set wrong. When I try to use data services I sometimes get a message that my connection can not manage data and to review my settings (how precise).
Old 04-09-2009, 11:15 AM   #16
edgross208

Default Error code for UMA any help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Many of the settings are on the router/network you are using. Not all networks will be compatible. Basically, it doesn't always work on every network.
Under WiFi diagnostics I found error code W005.1. Does this clarify the issue at all? The same screen shows "UMA WiFi Available (green check)" and "Connection" (black dot, red X).
Old 04-09-2009, 04:32 PM   #17
monkeypaw

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgross208 View Post
...I have a US unlimited data plan and have installed a Czech SIM card but I do want to use the net and perhaps make calls via wifi...
If you are trying to use UMA with the Czech SIM card, you will not get UMA unless they offer it. You have to put your home SIM in it and have a wifi connection that works.

Are you trying this with the home SIM or the Czech one?
Old 04-09-2009, 11:06 PM   #18
vsinc

Model: 8120

Some hotspots require a login or going through an initial welcome screen even if they are free (like Whole Foods Market) then you become authenticated and your traffic is allowed. Otherwise, you will see the connected checkmark and WiFi will not be grayed out and still no UMA.

What happens when you browse with the built-in browser? If it works, you should be able to use UMA but of course you need a T-Mobile or some other SIM card from a provider that have UMA backend support. UMA requires special servers to be setup to actually route the calls through WiFi into the "normal" phones' world.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:01 AM   #19
edgross208

I have been using my Czech SIM card when trying wifi hotspots, and with the phone connection turned off. I'll try it as you describe..Thanks
Old 04-10-2009, 09:02 AM   #20
edgross208

With the built-in browser I get either an error message to the effect that the phone is not in a location where data can be handled, or else I get a screen showing "requesting' but nothing happens.
Closed Thread