Old 09-21-2007, 07:33 AM   #41
Berry One
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
Carrier: WiFi hotspot

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Strider View Post
The review said that VOIP calls cannot be made over wifi. Does the reviewer mean that AT&T is using software to prevent VOIP packets from going through wifi? Or that there just aren't any softwares available for the BB to make VOIP calls?
Software to make VOIP calls is not available.

Quote:
Does surfing the internet with wifi significantly faster than surfing over EDGE?
Not much faster, not for me, at least. I have good GSM coverage where I live.

Quote:
I also heard that even if you connect the 8820 to an unsecure wifi network, the BB platform will still encrypt your connection so that your incoming and outgoing e-mails are protected.
Yes, it does. Using blackberry over public or unsecure WiFi is much more secure that using these other WiFi devices that just transmit your emails cleartext.

If you have noticed, some ISPs started to address it, for these other WiFi devices, by switching their users to encrypted mail protocols.

Quote:
Since VOIP doesn't work at all over wifi, won't you still need the presence of a GSM network to make voice calls?
This is correct.

Quote:
Is it possible to disable EDGE and GPRS and only use wifi for data services?
It is possible, just disable 'Mobile Network' under 'Manage Connections.'
Old 09-21-2007, 07:35 AM   #42
TreyS
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
Carrier: VZW
Exclamation

Until these WiFi BB's can do VoIP calls, they are worthless IMO. We have over 800 devices and if they supported VoIP, we could take advantage of our corporate WiFi connection and IP-PBX to make employee to employee calls while on the campus....for free. When we leave the office, calls are billed via the GSM network.

Greedy American companies......
Old 09-21-2007, 08:28 PM   #43
Sgt_Strider
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: None
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berry One View Post
Software to make VOIP calls is not available.

Not much faster, not for me, at least. I have good GSM coverage where I live.

Yes, it does. Using blackberry over public or unsecure WiFi is much more secure that using these other WiFi devices that just transmit your emails cleartext.

If you have noticed, some ISPs started to address it, for these other WiFi devices, by switching their users to encrypted mail protocols.

This is correct.

It is possible, just disable 'Mobile Network' under 'Manage Connections.'
So if someone makes a VOIP program for the BB, then technically it should work over wifi right?

If you disable mobile network, then will the BB still be able to make voice calls over GSM? I want the phone to only use GSM for voice calls and wifi for data services.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:06 AM   #44
Berry One

Model: 8220
Carrier: WiFi hotspot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Strider View Post
So if someone makes a VOIP program for the BB, then technically it should work over wifi right?
Correct.

Quote:
If you disable mobile network, then will the BB still be able to make voice calls over GSM?
It will not. Mobile Network is for both GSM and GPRS/EDGE. When you disable it you are left with WiFi only.

Quote:
I want the phone to only use GSM for voice calls and wifi for data services
As long as your blackberry is near strong WiFi signal this is what it will be doing. You will only see data 'leaking' to GSM when WiFi is not available.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:56 PM   #45
zero7404

Model: 9530
PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob

Wirelessly posted (8100: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Not entirely sure of how this wifi BB thing works. i understand the @home tmo thing, but if i decided to buy an 8320, does that mean that the phone itself would not browse or communicate via wifi unless its thru an @home connection ? For example, my friend has a bar/restaurant that offers free wifi. i had brought my psp there once and was able to surf no problem. Would that be the same with the 8320 ?
Old 09-25-2007, 11:55 AM   #46
jewberry
No longer Registered.

Model: 1
Carrier: Aircraft

I bought a WIFI phone for skype and was glad to get 50% of what I paid for it! Total junk! Couldn't hold a call for more than 30 secs.

I think the best idea is to just buy a USB VOIP phone, plug into laptop and use Skype. That should work anywhere I believe.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:43 PM   #47
rivviepop

Model: 8320
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
I want the phone to only use GSM for voice calls and wifi for data services
It is possible to do what you want, I have mine set this way as well; go to Options -> Mobile Network and change the entry Connection Preferences to Mobile Network Only. You will now have voice via GSM only and data via WiFi (when connected). Data will fall back to the mobile network when WiFi is turned off or disappears.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:49 PM   #48
btaylor1
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Q10
Carrier: at&t

thank you. interesting, i don't seem to have the choices you described on my new at&t 8820. when i go to Options then Mobile Network, i only see two choices: (1) Data Services; and (2) Mobile Network: Cingular

Data Services is set to On. i can change it to Off or Off When Roaming.

if i click left of the pearl on Mobile Network: Cingular, my only choices are Help, Select, Diagnostics Test, Switch Application, and Close

any other ideas how i could accomplish what you're suggesting? thx much
Old 09-25-2007, 01:53 PM   #49
rivviepop

Model: 8320
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor1 View Post
thank you. interesting, i don't seem to have the choices you described on my new at&t 8820. when i go to Options then Mobile Network, i only see two choices: (1) Data Services; and (2) Mobile Network: Cingular

Data Services is set to On. i can change it to Off or Off When Roaming.

if i click left of the pearl on Mobile Network: Cingular, my only choices are Help, Select, Diagnostics Test, Switch Application, and Close

any other ideas how i could accomplish what you're suggesting? thx much
My statement above was based on the 8320, so I'm not sure what's available on the 8820 in this regards. I will however relate a mishap of mine that ended up with my 8320 "missing" the menu items like you see -- I used the Switch Device wizard coming from an 8100 and it killed all my UMA controls on the new 8320. I had to wipe the device and start over (without using the wizard) to get my UMA control elements back on the phone.

Do other people with 8820 devices see this menu option in the Mobile Network screen?
Old 09-25-2007, 08:57 PM   #50
eTHE2
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: TMo/AT&T/Voda/3HK

I have tried various OS versions on the 8820 and I have not seen the option mentioned above. I have only Data Services (on/off), Mobile Network (carrier name) and Network Selection Mode (automatic/manual).
Old 10-03-2007, 09:15 AM   #51
MJ60453

Model: 8900
Carrier: TMO

I apologize if this has been covered already; I did not have time to read the entire thread, but one item caught my eye.

I recently moved from the 8100 to the 8320 on TMO. When making the purchase they offered me the "opportunity" to pay an additional $9.99 a month for the wifi service which I declined as it did not seem worth the cost. When I got home I was able to successfully connect to my network through wifi, and make and receive calls even though I had the "Mobile Network" turned off in the Manage Connections screen.

So unless I am mis-understanding the functionality of the connection manager, it seems possible to make calls through wifi without the additional TMO plan.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:33 PM   #52
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Yes, I connect to my wifi and I don't have the additional hotspot @ home service. This additional service just gives you 'unlimited' wifi calling. Without the H@H service your wifi minutes are deducted from your regular minute plan.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:26 PM   #53
PressureDrop
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: dr01d
Carrier: Verizon (LTE!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Yes, I connect to my wifi and I don't have the additional hotspot @ home service. This additional service just gives you 'unlimited' wifi calling. Without the H@H service your wifi minutes are deducted from your regular minute plan.
So calls are available through the WiFi without the @home hotspot server BUT they are normal minutes?

I just got my wife a Curve (upgraded from a 7100) and it is accessing our home WiFi awesome. The emails, SMSs, and MMSs are going through like lightning! I assumed the calls would still be dropping in some rooms though whenever the tower wasn't in a clear line of sight.

If the calls are still going to use the WiFi without the @home hotspot service then I REALLY want a WiFi capable BB!
Old 10-03-2007, 05:36 PM   #54
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

That's correct.

Dropped calls on UMA can be attributed to router settings usually. See the wifi faq's at Main Page - BlackBerryFAQ for proper settings for your router. If you router doesn't have the settings then a firmware upgrade may be necessary or worst case, you'll need a different router.

You should be able to initiate calls on UMA/WIFI and they should transfer seamlessly to EDGE if you leave wifi coverage.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:16 PM   #55
PressureDrop

I had done the "switch blackberry" from her old 7100 to the new curve so it did not give me the "UMA". I am getting it all setup again right now though (and UMA seems to be working).
Old 10-04-2007, 06:07 AM   #56
PressureDrop

Its all fast now - SMS, MMS, Internet, and PHONE! I am pretty jealous of it....anyone want to buy a pearl or trade it for a curve?
Old 11-11-2007, 09:20 AM   #57
Hauser
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Our offices are all Wi-Fi enabled, and from an analysis we did the vast majority of our BB users' phone calls and BB emails are being made within our offices, so for us being able to use Wi-Fi instead of the cell network is a natural.

HSPDA is a non-issue for us, as data service cost is what's driving our decision, not bandwidth. Using a rock-solid Wi-Fi network versus a spotty/slow cell network for voice and data services is a big plus too.

In my opinion the Wi-Fi hardware and UMA/GAN support of the 8820 and 8320 are really "next generation" even though RIM doesn't advertise it as such. I think that position will be much easier to see a year from now with more/better UMA/GAN providers and lots of software written to take advantage of Wi-Fi.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:47 PM   #58
tahoe_jeeper

Model: 8820
Carrier: ATT

Just got an 8820 here. I find the main use of WiFi for when I am in areas with poor cellular data coverage such as in my office or quite a few companies I visit that don't get a good signal in the building. Allows me to send/receive emails during meetings.

Also find it very useful in hotels when travelling abroad to use IM+ Skype to make calls to landlines for low rate (EDGE/GPRS isn't really fast enough for good SkypeOut audio in my opinion from experiencing).

Really hoping they will enable SIP on the device (like the older wifi-only 7270 had) instead of just UMA since only TMo in the US has UMA services.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:56 AM   #59
stewsan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: T-mobile,AIS,Globe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoe_jeeper View Post

Also find it very useful in hotels when travelling abroad to use IM+ Skype to make calls to landlines for low rate (EDGE/GPRS isn't really fast enough for good SkypeOut audio in my opinion from experiencing).

You've had a good audio connection on wifi with the IM+ Skype? I've used the EDGE and also found the audio lacking. I've just picked up a 8320 and will be trying in on wifi in Japan tomorrow.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:57 PM   #60
cwichura
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800

IM+ for Skype isn't using data for the voice call -- it's sending you to a GSM gateway. Even GPRS is more than enough bandwidth for the signalling data that gets the standard GSM call going.
Closed Thread