Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 05:55 PM   #1
Howard2k
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: na
Default Blackberry (7250) Neophyte - few questions

Please Login to Remove!

First of all - thanks to the admins and members who've contributed to this forum. It's a great resources.

I have a BES 7250 and had a few (hopefully) simple questions.

1 - When I open messages, I can press Alt-I to view just my incoming messages, can I make this my default view??

2 - I have a PPC. I'd like to be able to use the 7250 as a "BT Modem". It seems that this is not possible from what I can dig up. Can anyone drive the nail in that coffin?

3 - I would like to be able to view PDF, Word and Excel docs. I understand that eOffice has a solution for Word and Excel. Anything else I can consider? What about PDF?

Thanks!
Old 09-21-2005, 07:34 PM   #2
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard2k
First of all - thanks to the admins and members who've contributed to this forum. It's a great resources.
1. The search button is towards the top of the page, in the blue bar.

2. The search button is towards the top of the page, in the blue bar.

3. The search button is towards the top of the page, in the blue bar.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:48 PM   #3
Howard2k

Wow - thanks for all the help
Old 09-21-2005, 07:50 PM   #4
nklmw

Model: 7250

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107
1. The search button is towards the top of the page, in the blue bar.

2. The search button is towards the top of the page, in the blue bar.

3. The search button is towards the top of the page, in the blue bar.
If you're the "Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia", why don't you help the guy out and try to answer the questions instead of being a smartass?
Old 09-21-2005, 08:55 PM   #5
twizardt
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7520

Quote:
Originally Posted by nklmw
If you're the "Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia", why don't you help the guy out and try to answer the questions instead of being a smartass?
Yeah! Give the new a break.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:14 PM   #6
Howard2k

Is there a forum that anyone can recommend where BB newbies are allowed?
Old 09-21-2005, 09:38 PM   #7
KonTiki
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon

Howard I will try to help I am relatively new myself.

1) No there is no way to make that your default view, or any other for that matter, what you see as the default view is what you get.

2) Blue Tooth technology only allows headset, and keyboards. In some cases i know some people have paired with their laptops but primarily to tie in to the voice only.

3) Yes eOffice will allow you to view word and excel fine, and just the other day I saw someone doing some beta testing for a PDF application. Since I am not into PDFs i did not pay it much attention. If you do a search with PDF application or something close to PDS beta testing you should come up with it.

As I statede before I too am relatively new, and i understand your frustrations, but please also understand the frustrations of the people that are here on a daily basis when they see the same questions aked a thousand times a day. Most people that are new here and are not used to forums come in and start asking questions, if they took the time to search they would get most of their answers and you would be given a tag that says you know where the search button is. If one sees this and then sees a question you can safely assume that the person at least attempted to search for an answer and help himself. When you do not see that it gets a bit irritating to see people not willing to at least help themselves. When i came in to the forum I took the time over three or four days to read every single post here ever. Then i started using the search feature to try and help myself find some of the things that i had read about to get used to the system, then and only then did i ask questions to things i could not find answers to. I hope this helps you.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 09-21-2005, 09:49 PM   #8
Howard2k

Thanks,

I did search and could not find satisfactory answers. I thought that my comment around point 2 hinted at that, but I guess not. To be pedantic, it appears that these BT limitations apply JUST to the blackberry. It's certainly a much more flexible protocol.

Anyway - I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Thanks
Old 09-21-2005, 10:01 PM   #9
KonTiki

Model: 9650
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon

Howard it is true about the BTs limitations applying to the BB. Remember that RIMM was first available and I guess, said guess, was originally designed for the Business community and the limitations are matters of security that Rimm has developed for that community. As time has gone past more and more non-commercial users have availed themselves of the BB and until such time as Rimm decides to have two divisions to cater to Business as well as Non-Business users we will have to continue with those limitations. For me personally the limitations are fine, I do not need more than what it offers at the moment, however if i had more or different needs it sure would be a hindrance. And you are welcomed, and welcome to the forum.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 09-21-2005, 10:03 PM   #10
Howard2k

Yep - fair points. Thanks again.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:32 PM   #11
ShaneToronto
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8300r
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Don't the :Knows where the search button is", "blackberry newbie:, "thumbs must hurt", "crackberry addict" etc result simply from number of posts? It seems that under 10 or 15 is newbie, up to 100 is knows where... and so on.

I could be wrong.

This really has nothing to do with blackberries, so sorry. haha. Just made me wonder after the comment above from KonTiki.

Howard-- I had the same questions as you and although I searched the forum, I was still not 100% sure of the answers, so I'm glad you asked. I'm sure newbies to come will also benefit from having a solid answer.

Cheers.

Shane
Old 09-21-2005, 11:32 PM   #12
badgerfan

Model: 7250

howardforums.com is a site ive found very helpful, separates by your service provider too!

Jon
Old 09-22-2005, 04:46 PM   #13
Howard2k

Thanks
Old 09-22-2005, 05:41 PM   #14
AlohaDan

Model: 9550
Carrier: verizon wireless

Quote:
3 - I would like to be able to view PDF, Word and Excel docs. I understand that eOffice has a solution for Word and Excel. Anything else I can consider? What about PDF?

Thanks!
I have a Verizon 7250 and BES 4.0. I could view office documents and pdf files attached to my messages (from corporate outlook account) without having eOffice on my BB device. I'm not sure if our BES has a third-party attachment viewer installed server side. Another attachment "viewer" you might consider is Repligo by Cerience. They claim that attachments can be viewed as originally intended/formatted.

Aloha

btw, I just noticed that I "graduated" from a "newbie" to "knows where the search button is" status. I think I'm gonna have a beer to celebrate this.

Last edited by AlohaDan; 09-22-2005 at 06:03 PM..
Old 09-22-2005, 05:56 PM   #15
kamoze357
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 32C5E485
Carrier: Sprint

Hello all,

I am "this" close to going out and buying the 7250 which SprintPCS just rolled out 3 weeks ago. I have searched and found the answers to a few obvious questions but had a few more that I wanted to pose for the sake of clarity (the sales staff arent kowledgeable at all).

1) When they say the 7250 supports Java, does this mean I can visit a website (like a bank) where the log in appears as a java box or is java enabled?

2) Has anyone used the aftermarket batteries for their BB? Would you recommend it or should i spend the money for an extra OEM battery? This will be my only telephone (no home phone)

3) How many contact #'s /email addresses / physical addresses can you save per name? (e.g. on my Sidekick its like 5 numbers and emails per name with 3 physical address in the phone book)

4) Are real ringtones supported or is this a strictly polyphonic device? Sprint told me ringtones but i think the salesman mightve just said that to make a sale. I have seen conflicting accounts of this.

The most important ones

5) If I use the redirector to check my corporate email (yes i'll leave my pc on 24/7), can I get all of the supported attachments via this method (doc, xls, ppt, pdf, jpg, etc) ? is this really "that" slow of a method versus BES)?

6) I've read that it checks for new email every 15 mins, is this static? Can I decrease the time between when it checks?

7) If im checking aol, corp email, gmail.. etc will it all be in one Inbox or can I set up folders/inboxes for the different email accounts?

And finally my job is too cheap to add me to their BES (its only for the Sr. Staff and I'm only middle management), can I use the hosting service for $10/month and set this up to have access to my work email? if so, what info will my IT department have to give up to make this happen. ( Is this even feasible?)

Thanks so much. I'm excited and want to give up my T-Mobile Sidekick II and move into a more serious email tool.

Kamoze357
Old 09-22-2005, 11:24 PM   #16
stonent

Model: 8220
PIN: FFFFFFFF
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Is there a forum that anyone can recommend where BB newbies are allowed?
Don't be so vain as to think you were the only one to have ever had those questions. At least lie and say "I searched but couldn't find the answer"

Prior: BES: 7510, 7520, 7290, 7230, 7130, 8220 (No Data Plan), Droid Eris
Post your question on the forum, don't PM me.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:31 PM   #17
stonent

Model: 8220
PIN: FFFFFFFF
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamoze357
Hello all,

I am "this" close to going out and buying the 7250 which SprintPCS just rolled out 3 weeks ago. I have searched and found the answers to a few obvious questions but had a few more that I wanted to pose for the sake of clarity (the sales staff arent kowledgeable at all).

1) When they say the 7250 supports Java, does this mean I can visit a website (like a bank) where the log in appears as a java box or is java enabled?

2) Has anyone used the aftermarket batteries for their BB? Would you recommend it or should i spend the money for an extra OEM battery? This will be my only telephone (no home phone)

3) How many contact #'s /email addresses / physical addresses can you save per name? (e.g. on my Sidekick its like 5 numbers and emails per name with 3 physical address in the phone book)

4) Are real ringtones supported or is this a strictly polyphonic device? Sprint told me ringtones but i think the salesman mightve just said that to make a sale. I have seen conflicting accounts of this.

The most important ones

5) If I use the redirector to check my corporate email (yes i'll leave my pc on 24/7), can I get all of the supported attachments via this method (doc, xls, ppt, pdf, jpg, etc) ? is this really "that" slow of a method versus BES)?

6) I've read that it checks for new email every 15 mins, is this static? Can I decrease the time between when it checks?

7) If im checking aol, corp email, gmail.. etc will it all be in one Inbox or can I set up folders/inboxes for the different email accounts?

And finally my job is too cheap to add me to their BES (its only for the Sr. Staff and I'm only middle management), can I use the hosting service for $10/month and set this up to have access to my work email? if so, what info will my IT department have to give up to make this happen. ( Is this even feasible?)

Thanks so much. I'm excited and want to give up my T-Mobile Sidekick II and move into a more serious email tool.

Kamoze357

1 It support Java applications via JAD/JAR like most new phones but embeded java on sites won't work (If it is a banking site, though I think you meant Javascript which despite the similar name is not related to Java in any way)

2 I have never seen an aftermarket battery, however one of the sellers here has the 7250 backs that will let you put the double-sized batteries made for the Nextel phones in the 7250

3 Honestly, i haven't paid attention to that one but I haven't run out.

4 Only monophonic midi ringtones. You can make any .MID file a ringtone just pull it up in the phone's browser, play it and save it. But it is "beep boop beep boop" style sounds.

5 Attachments require a BES

6 Don't know the answer to that one, I use a BES, but you do get an @sprint.blackberry.net e-mail address with the phone that you can set up that is delivered live to your phone.

7 Not sure, haven't tried it

8 Not possible, it needs direct access to the exchange server from everything I've seen.

Prior: BES: 7510, 7520, 7290, 7230, 7130, 8220 (No Data Plan), Droid Eris
Post your question on the forum, don't PM me.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:27 AM   #18
Howard2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonent
Don't be so vain as to think you were the only one to have ever had those questions. At least lie and say "I searched but couldn't find the answer"

Wow - I bet the site is really proud of you.

If you'd actually read some of my previous responses you'd see that I had searched.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:29 AM   #19
Howard2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonent

So kamoze357 is allowed to post questions but I'm not?

Why didn't you go and tell him to search too?
Closed Thread