Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 04:32 PM   #1
Steve
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint
Default PB Browser Crash to Home Screen

Please Login to Remove!

Anyone else having issues with the PlayBook browser? The browser on my 64GB version OS 1.0.1.1710 crashes to home screen every time I enter a URL or select one of the pre-loaded bookmarks (blackberry.com, google.com, bing.com, etc.). Even the help screens that use the browser as a viewer crash. All I see is about 25-30% on the blue status bar before it crashes to home screen. It won't even load page titles as it says, "No Title".

BlackBerry Bridge won't open, even when it is connected. I suspect it uses the browser to view, correct? BBB shows an email icon when my 9630 receives a message.

Wi-Fi is working fine with the YouTube App playing videos. Weather works. Pictures/Videos/Cameras work. Even networked to my MacBookPro via USB lets me transfer photos and video.

Another thing I noticed is the PB has been connected to the charger all day with no use and it's only at 98%.

I've notified RIM's Customer Service, but checking in here as well.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 04-23-2011, 05:33 PM   #2
stevetaz
CrackBerry Addict

Model: S III
PIN: N/A
Carrier: sprint
Default Re: PB Browser Crash to Home Screen

Is the Browser crashing using WiFi or the Bridge? I can't tell what you are saying.

Also, what do you mean the Bridge won't open even when connected? I see the Bridge shortcut on the bar and when I select it I see icons for Messages, Contacts, Bridge Browser, Calendar, MemoPad, Tasks and Bridge Files open up. When the Bridge is active the icons can be selected and open the appropriate feature. When the Bridge is not active each ion has an exclamation point under it. I don't think it is using a Browser session to control the Bridge icons though.

I just upgraded the OS so I tried both the Bridge Browser and the WiFi Browser and they both work perfectly with shortcuts.

Sorry I can't duplicate the problem. Well, I am not sorry, but you know what I mean....

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:12 PM   #3
Steve

The main Browser crashes to Home Screen on a Wi-Fi connection.

With exception of Bridge Files, the rest of the Bridge apps were crashing to Home Screen. The PB does successfully connect to my Tour via Bluetooth. (Since I haven't seen Bridge Apps working yet to view my Tour on it's screen, I assumed they were using a browser-based viewer).

I re-checked my Wi-Fi Router set-up and don't see anything out of the ordinary. Using WPA Personal. Ping hits google.com 4 packets, no loss.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:23 PM   #4
Steve

UPDATE: I tried disabling content in the Browser/Options/Content screen.
Some pages load with Flash and Javascript disabled. However, they eventually crash to home screen after navigating about the page (IE Yahoo News, Google News, Bing News).

Disabling images doesn't show any improvement in preventing crashes to home screen. Same behavior found in Bridge Browser.

I have no new info on getting my BlackBerry Bridge Apps to work with my 9630 connected.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:19 AM   #5
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

I've been trying this out with my Playbook and 9630 - no browser crashes, but some pages are very slow to load or don't want to load at all. My wifi is set up with WPA 2, Netgear with wireless n.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:23 AM   #6
muratcolakoglu
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: Vodafone

Here is the bridge fix from RIM

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ml#post1717023
Old 04-25-2011, 08:19 AM   #7
stevetaz
CrackBerry Addict

Model: S III
PIN: N/A
Carrier: sprint

Bridge fix for what behavior?
Old 04-25-2011, 10:31 PM   #8
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne View Post
I've been trying this out with my Playbook and 9630 - no browser crashes, but some pages are very slow to load or don't want to load at all. My wifi is set up with WPA 2, Netgear with wireless n.
Thanks for checking. PlayBook Tech Support hasn't responded to my ticket. Will call them on it tomorrow.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:34 PM   #9
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Thanks for checking. PlayBook Tech Support hasn't responded to my ticket. Will call them on it tomorrow.
Just a follow-up: Tier 3 BB Tech Support Analyst reviewed logs and after several re-installs and security wipes to fix the browser crash issue went unsuccessful, they called me back today (day 14) and told me to return or exchange it.

Staples took my 64Gb model back for a refund as they only had 16's on hand.