Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 03:53 AM   #1
surroundrew

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile DE
Default WiFi Issues?

Please Login to Remove!

My 8900 is connected to my wifi network of that I am sure. I can get it to use wifi when browsing with the "hotspot browser" but for everything else (google mobile app, gmail app, blackberry browser, twitterberry, Flickr App) it auto defaults to using gprs (edge). This is very frustrating since that's a lot slower and costs me more. I wanted the wifi so I could avoid these costs. Any help on how to set it up correctly would be greatly appreciated! The only thing T-Mobile Germany blocks from being used on wifi is MMS so it's definitely something I've not got set up right.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:31 AM   #2
surroundrew

Well, I've solved one aspect, though it's a pain. In my bookmarks I have to make a duplicate of each one and set it to open in the "hotspot browser" by default. Then it uses the wifi instead of edge. Still no idea on how to get data intensive applications to use wifi over gprs though. Even opera mini won't connect with wifi. :( This is all very disappointing as wifi on every other mobile I've owned has been terribly simple.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:06 AM   #3
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S
Carrier: Verizon

There might be something wrong with your WiFi. For me, both at home and at work, the 8900 defaults to using WiFi when available without issue. I never have to think about it, just walk within range of the access point, and WiFi browsing is active. Leave, and Edge browsing is back.

Is the WiFi icon on the home screen white or gray?

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:12 AM   #4
surroundrew

Hmm, it does appear gray or at least a bit darker than everything else. I'm using a linxsys router and I have no problems with any other device in my home (mac, Nokia N95, iPod Touch). I really think I've done something wrong in the setup but cannot figure it out.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:31 AM   #5
ifonline
Magic Bananas

If you have a gray WiFi icon, then you are not connected to the BlackBerry data infrastructure. You can confirm by going to Manage Connections, WiFi Options, Menu-> WiFi Tools->WiFi Diagnostics. From there, you can see what is going on and what is working. At the very bottom is BlackBerry Infrastructure. You should have green check marks. If you don't (which you won't because the WiFi icon is gray), then the BlackBerry is not able to see the internet (and therefore not able to connect to the BB infrastructure). As a result, browsing is going to be over cell versus WiFi.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
Old 01-17-2009, 07:36 AM   #6
surroundrew

Under the WiFi area in the diagnostics it has a VPN area and that's all blank, is that what you're referring to? We don't have blackberry internet plans here in Germany on T-Mobile, just email so I guess I'm screwed.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:16 AM   #7
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Er... hopefully someone that understands this stuff better than me will come along to help. I am stumped. But to answer your question... no, I am not referring to the VPN section of the diagnostics report.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
Closed Thread