Old 03-18-2010, 12:42 PM   #1
kingston73
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tmobile
Default Random Battery Drain?

Please Login to Remove!

So lately my phone has been draining the batter MUCH faster than it used to. It seems to do it randomly, some days it will be fine, and then times like today, it was plugged in overnight, I used it a couple times, and less than 12 hours later it's 1/2 drained. It did this a few times last week, and I took the battery out and rebooted it but that didn't seem to do anything. It's only a year old phone. I have OS 5 version .411 on it right now. Suggestions?
Old 03-18-2010, 12:44 PM   #2
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Maximum Battery Life - BlackBerryFAQ
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 03-18-2010, 01:54 PM   #3
fratts
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9630
Carrier: TBayTEL

Really? Your complaining about 12hrs and only using half your battery? That seems pretty good to me.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:16 PM   #4
b52junebug

Model: Many
Carrier: Corp demo abuser..

Actually I have noticed the same thing in the last two days it only lasts 8 hours. I have a Verizon Blackberry and my husband has noticed the same thing with his T-Mobile curve. Is there some change that we didnt know about.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:31 PM   #5
kingston73
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: Tmobile

I'm not complaining about the time, I'm just wondering why all of a sudden my battery life has shortened. It's noticably less than it used to be, and I didn't know if it was OS related or what.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:02 AM   #6
davidkoons

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

yea i want to know the same thing. my battery drains all the time :/
Old 03-20-2010, 08:28 PM   #7
spacecow

Carrier: T-Mobile

Recently I ran into this problem twice for different reasons, maybe one of them applies in your case.

First I upgraded from OS 4.6 to 5. Right after the upgrade, which carried all my applications forward, the battery life was extremely bad. I got maybe 6 hours from a charge. I was not able to figure out what caused it and even uninstalling all applications and re-installing various OS versions did not help. In the end I had to wipe my handheld with JL_Cmder and restart from scratch. That helped.

Shortly after that I found out that the Media viewer, specifically the picture viewer that comes with OS 5 or maybe the media manager are not playing well with my micro SD card. Everything was fine, then I inserted my 8GB Kingston micro SD card. It has about 2Gb of pictures on it. I opened the picture viewer and it started scanning the card for pictures. I suppose it's creating thumb nails. Eventually, after 2 or 3 hours, it seemed done with the scan. However ever since the battery drained within 8 hours or so. Only once I removed the SD card was my battery life back to normal. It is a repeatable problem. So now I don't have an SD card in my 8900 for the time being. Although, maybe it would be enough to simply not have thousands of pictures on the card.

Right now I'm back to excellent battery life. I'm using OS 5, no SD card and only a handful of 3rd party applications. With occasional use my battery lasts 3 days with Wifi and UMA enabled. That's the best I ever got out of my 8900.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:27 PM   #8
rugmankc

Carrier: Cincinnati Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingston73 View Post
So lately my phone has been draining the batter MUCH faster than it used to. It seems to do it randomly, some days it will be fine, and then times like today, it was plugged in overnight, I used it a couple times, and less than 12 hours later it's 1/2 drained. It did this a few times last week, and I took the battery out and rebooted it but that didn't seem to do anything. It's only a year old phone. I have OS 5 version .411 on it right now. Suggestions?

Me two. Two of the last three days. It started after installing google sync. But, the last 24 hours it barely went down. Google sync shouldn't have a big effect, it only runs a few seconds. Should mention google sync was installed for a week at least and this only happened the last 3 days.

Ken